Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charge Quotas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Cost €105.5m overall last year to run the Dail and Seanad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I honestly don't know how the heck many folk are going to pay for this on minimum wages or on a pension etc.. You can only extract so much juice from an orange until it dries up. They will be after your soul next. They will make you believe you have one, even if you think you don't have one.

13505 wrote: »
    Obviously I can't speak for all of humanity, but with regards to my own ancestors, I guess that's possibly great grandparents multiply by many 1000's, (maybe more I'm not entirely sure??? ) got on perfectly fine. Not a bother to them.

Big shout out to my ancient ancestors!!

I don't know if you're stupid, ignorant, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 13505

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I don't know if you're stupid, ignorant, or both.

Knock knock!

Who's there?

Not particularly.

Not particularly who?

Not particularly concerned with your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Found the real figures, quite staggering, all expenses whilst still in office; €300000 per TD per year, €570000 per minister per year. €9.65m was the pension bill for former ministers in 2011.

Am I reading this wrong, is this just the pension bill for sitting TD's, what is the overall bill for all the ???? including retired senior civil servants per year. They are all indexed linked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pensions the highest in Europe for ex politicians senior civil servants and don't forget the banksters. Liam Cosgrave served as TShirt in the seventies he is still claiming it to day, John Bruton, Brtie, Cowan Robinson ex pres, all the free loaders in RTE, I can go on. These are the ba$tards that are bleeding the country and why we have to bring water rates. Are they worth it?.

Your maths seems to be off. You think a multi billion euro current budget deficit can be fixed by reducing some pensions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Pensions the highest in Europe for ex politicians senior civil servants and don't forget the banksters. Liam Cosgrave served as TShirt in the seventies he is still claiming it to day, John Bruton, Brtie, Cowan Robinson ex pres, all the free loaders in RTE, I can go on. These are the ba$tards that are bleeding the country and why we have to bring water rates. Are they worth it?.

You forgot to mention them retiring early while they shot the retirement age up to 68 for the rest of us. Brian cowen is in his 50s too.

Double pensions too. Enda Kenny didn't work in his teachers job since the 70s and when he retires, probably early too, he can clain two pensions if not three - teachers pension, politician pension and t-shock pension.

13505 wrote: »
    Knock knock!

Who's there?

Not particularly.

Not particularly who?

Not particularly concerned with your comment.

I think I love you.

Your maths seems to be off. You think a multi billion euro current budget deficit can be fixed by reducing some pensions?

Cop on it is not a few pensions.

Am I reading this wrong, is this just the pension bill for sitting TD's, what is the overall bill for all the ???? including retired senior civil servants per year. They are all indexed linked.

Its how much overall it costs for TDs and ministers to do their job in office, including drivers and all that other crap they feel they're entitled to.

• Advertisement

It is like a hole in your heating oil tank you will eventually end up cold.

But they should be leading by example. Cut their own high pay and pensions. See how they get on with rising costs.

What's happening is something like what you'd see in medieval ireland, paying rent to the high kings.

It is! It seems like a lot of money but it really really isn't, it would barely start to solve our problems in truth.

In the context of our growing debt burden, yes it is.

You know that a billion is a 10 digit number and a million is a 7 digit number right? Do you understand the immense difference between them? It seems clear that you don't. Pensions and politician salaries represent a tiny fraction of 1% of our current expenditure. How come it's only the people with no background in maths, economics or any general numerical ability that come up with these ridiculous arguments?

But they should be leading by example. Cut their own high pay and pensions. See how they get on with rising costs.

What's happening is something like what you'd see in medieval ireland, paying rent to the high kings.

They should lead by example but they won't. Would you give up their lifestyle if you worked hard to get elected? Call me selfish, but I certainly wouldn't.

They have cut their pay and pensions. Didn't seem to make any difference to anybody. I'm not entirely sure why they need to be leading by example, that's not their job.

Do you know much a TD gets paid? Do you know how much their pension is? What do you think are fairer values? What makes you qualified to decide this?

It is! It seems like a lot of money but it really really isn't, it would barely start to solve our problems in truth.

But it would be a start, instead of cutting jobs in special needs teachers, nurses, and the closing of hospital wards and the cutbacks in the emergency services.

But it would be a start, instead of cutting jobs in special needs teachers, nurses, and the closing of hospital wards and the cutbacks in the emergency services.

In truth they'd have to do all that and a lot more.

They have cut their pay and pensions. Didn't seem to make any difference to anybody. I'm not entirely sure why they need to be leading by example, that's not their job.

Do you know much a TD gets paid? Do you know how much their pension is? What do you think are fairer values? What makes you qualified to decide this?

I have read some posts which I just would not comment on because of their silly comment, But I will give you the honor of my response. You really take the biscuit.

I have read some posts which I just would not comment on because of their silly comment, But I will give you the honor of my response. You really take the biscuit.

I think he's just accepted the sad reality.

• Advertisement

Leading by example is what great leadership is. Do you think they ever worry about joining a dole queue? Worry by their jobs being replaced by internships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I'll just say this regarding the recently introduced water charges... The weak herd mentality in the scenario of just pay it love, we don't need this hassle and we haven't got the time to be bothered with protesting against it, what can we do anyway love, we'll just pay it like the household charge and be done with it. Done with it ? there will be no done with it, as new taxes are a coming.

This is the unfortunate mentality of most Irish folk, and it is lazy, and down-right weakness, because the herd will follow if they hear this sort of bastardism.

The only way Irish citizens can win, is if they give a damn, and forward their protest against an unjust secondary tax. If not, then be the slave of corrupt government for the rest of your life.

This double taxation of water on the Irish citizen should be fought hard with an uncompliance of cooperation in relation to installed meters. If people just roll over again on this one, then you are most definitely the slave to government, and expect to be ultimately screwed thereafter.

@ The Irish Times
    While the majority of property tax collected last year went towards establishment costs for Irish Water.

The amount of monies pumped into this Irish Water leaking pipe-hole, How much more monies will be wasted in this Irish water sieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Is it true that people living is semi detached homes will face a larger tax than those living in terrace houses?

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-left-without-water-meters-must-pay-72-extra-30193805.html

If the water charge is just a poll tax, wouldn't you expect it to be charged per person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

emo72 wrote: »
    what do utility companies like electric ireland or bord gais do if you have no metre? do they charge? do they ****.

water is already paid well paid for with an extra few percent on vat and motor tax. we already pay. they want us to pay again because the general taxation goes to pay our very dodgy euro debts. and when its up and running they will sell it off and watch the bills shoot up.
    I'm afraid you are incorrect there.

If you have no meter then they will send you a bill for the estimated usage. An example would be an out-farm with an electric fence only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Richard Bruton made a gaffe on news talk this morning. I heard him with my own ears too.

The mask slipped. Enda gonna be mad.

http://newstalk.ie/mobile/index.php?id=24117

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Just listening to a vox pop with the fools in the housing estate in Cork who have blockaded the road to stop the installation of water meters.

Must be nice to be at home on a Thursday afternoon. Plus, they are so poorly informed that it isn't even funny. Apparently what irish water are doing is illegal because these people didn't ask for water meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Just listening to a vox pop with the fools in the housing estate in Cork who have blockaded the road to stop the installation of water meters.

Must be nice to be at home on a Thursday afternoon. Plus, they are so poorly informed that it isn't even funny. Apparently what irish water are doing is illegal because these people didn't ask for water meters.

Fair play to them.

Nice to see some folk have still a back bone in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Leading by example is what great leadership is. Do you think they ever worry about joining a dole queue? Worry by their jobs being replaced by internships?

What the hell does this have to do with water charges exactly??? TDs have already taken large pay cuts, larger than most PS workers. You can't expect them to work for minimum wage so get over it.

I support water charges if were paying for the amount we use, the quota system can work. In France households are allocated quotas, if you use less you get some of the money back (or rather your account is in credit) and if you go over the quota you get charged extra. As far as I can remember the quota is based the number of permanent residents in the house.

I believe the government is due to target black market granny babysitters. As in those who help. Maybe an older relative free and available and younger relative maybe a daughter or son who's grown up and now have a young family. They may need childcare and find it too expensive or they might only need someone for a few hours a week. The older relative could do it and they get a small top up of their wage or pension. It's a win/win for the families.

There's talk about dragging these granny and relative babysitters into the tax net and not only that a requirement for these grannies to be qualified in childcare.

Another example the government could lead by example is getting themselves qualified with papers in politics and economics. Make it a requirement to have some studies in politics and economics for those wishing to run for election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

MadYaker wrote: »
    What the hell does this have to do with water charges exactly??? TDs have already taken large pay cuts, larger than most PS workers. You can't expect them to work for minimum wage so get over it.

I support water charges if were paying for the amount we use, the quota system can work. In France households are allocated quotas, if you use less you get some of the money back (or rather your account is in credit) and if you go over the quota you get charged extra. As far as I can remember the quota is based the number of permanent residents in the house.

A 7% cut on a 200k wage for Enda Kenny is a large pay cut is it?

0 TD's are part of the target audience for their tax increases and their speeches about 'difficult decisions to make' are bull. The people making the difficult decisions are those that are choosing between paying their motor tax this month or putting food on the table.

Advertisement