Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charge Quotas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

zenno wrote: »
    How many times does this have to be re-textured on this thread for people to clearly see that we have already been paying for the treatment and pipe transport of water to our mains system for decades for Gods sake.

You are by-passing the most basic acknowledgement of this truth, yet you fail to see it.

I said to take this as a water charge (I'm a bit ignorant to water charges in truth, see below), I am trying to say that water from our taps isn't free. The thing that really gripes me is that there are people here that expect water to just run from their taps for nothing - they don't know that they're paying for water yet still expect the hundreds of millions to come from thin air. It's the principle of some people's thinking that irritates me.

May I also ask where we pay for the treatment and mains supply of water? I've heard vague mutterings that this is how it works but I genuinely don't know if any of our money definitely goes towards mains supply and treatment. Also I'm not trying to sound like I'm doubting you, I just don't know who to believe anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Well how where they attacked ? I ask you.

I don't know, I didn't make the claim. Perhaps it was verbally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭emo72

ninja900 wrote: »
    I really don't like the implication of this question, especially the second part, do you think that public servants should be silenced, or forced to out themselves on boards or anywhere else? or are mindless government shills, or something?

Nobody should be silenced. But if you have a vested interest, well let it be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Okay, the Government should inform us about this non-dangerous radiation. Maybe next they can inform us that the hydrogen molecules in there water that we're drinking won't actually explode like hydrogen bombs? Just for the sake of transparency like.

In all honesty, people ask stupid questions, particularly those carrying signs around the place. They're not all going to be answered, anyone with a bit of common sense can find the answers themselves, Wikipedia would be a start.

They pay PR firms to spin there $hite, why do they not try and spin some like the truth, and put peoples minds at rest. I do not give two fooks about radiation, but if this regime in power at the moment would address all the claims and counter claims and put peoples minds at rest wouldn't that be easy. Why are they paying all these over valued minders and advisors such largess for useless advice.

No-one was attacked so leave that out and stop making assumptions as to a worker being attacked, which is incorrect.

I didn't say physically, I would be quite shaken if I took up a job and had abuse shouted at me for trying to earn a wage, these people are the ones getting attacked for the government's incompetence and unpopular decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I said to take this as a water charge (I'm a bit ignorant to water charges in truth, see below), I am trying to say that water from our taps isn't free. The thing that really gripes me is that there are people here that expect water to just run from their taps for nothing - they don't know that they're paying for water yet still expect the hundreds of millions to come from thin air. It's the principle of some people's thinking that irritates me.

May I also ask where we pay for the treatment and mains supply of water? I've heard vague mutterings that this is how it works but I genuinely don't know if any of our money definitely goes towards mains supply and treatment. Also I'm not trying to sound like I'm doubting you, I just don't know who to believe anymore.

Where do you think your taxes go ? just into one mechanism ?, your taxes are spread out into everything from prisons to water to gardai to etc.......

Hence they pay for water treatment to be directed through mains pipe to your tap. Every taxpaying citizen was always paying for purified water and everything else, don't forget stealth taxes, and more taxes to pay for water again. It's a joke, and the joke is on the Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭emo72

I said to take this as a water charge (I'm a bit ignorant to water charges in truth, see below), I am trying to say that water from our taps isn't free. The thing that really gripes me is that there are people here that expect water to just run from their taps for nothing - they don't know that they're paying for water yet still expect the hundreds of millions to come from thin air. It's the principle of some people's thinking that irritates me

It's has been pointed out previously. Rates was abolished in the 70s and a certain percentage was added to motor tax, and also vat to pay for our water to be treated. You are paying for it right now every time you buy something. This is a simple fact.

Well how where they attacked ? I ask you.

Fixed.

Had to do there job whilst accompanied by a Garda up in the city, or so I heard, I imagine it was because they were being abused, why else?

I don't know, I didn't make the claim. Perhaps it was verbally?

Ok, maybe a few folk told the workers that they are not installing water meters on their property or outside of it, but if that is the case then it is not an attack. Still, it's a tough one to analyse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why not have no allowance, i.e. encouraging no waste and just charge per litre? watch the amount of water being wasted dwindle. They talk about "FAIR" one of the most used words here in Ireland, wouldnt that mean treating everyone exactly the same? Or does it mean exempting a massive cohort that are already exempted from god knows what, so that the usual suspects can pay for everyone?!

I mean of course Id prefer if they cut the waste so this wouldnt have to be introduced, but I live in the real world! The fact is, there has been a criminal lack of investment in water and waste water infrastructure here for decades, even when they country was awash with money, why invest in non vote winning capital expenditure etc, when you can think short term and buy election after election after election, create massive social and financial problems etc that someone else will have to clean up...

Then you have all the rabbling on here about the gubberment and what a disgrace everything is, we are still borrowing billions a year plus interest? Id love to hear what they solutions are, should Noonan go to vegas and throw a few billion on 36 red? You can also be guaranteed that those with the least to complain about will be making the most noise...

• Advertisement

Had to do there job whilst accompanied by a Garda up in the city, or so I heard[/i], I imagine it was because they were being abused, why else?

I think you should with draw that, or post a link.

Had to do there job whilst accompanied by a Garda up in the city, or so I heard, I imagine it was because they were being abused, why else?

Irish citizens have the right to protest regardless of any-ones opinions. But it can get heated sometimes I agree.

Verbally Attacked Sticks and stones and all that...

I think you should with draw that, or post a link.

It was an anecdote I heard whilst talking with my parents and some if their neighbours. Fine, I withdraw. I'll remember I need primary evidence next time I want to post something.

Irish citizens have the right to protest regardless of any-ones opinions.

Of course they do, but it isn't the workers fault that this charge is being introduced. I genuinely feel sorry for the workers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

emo72 wrote: »
    It's has been pointed out previously. Rates was abolished in the 70s and a certain percentage was added to motor tax, and also vat to pay for our water to be treated. You are paying for it right now every time you buy something. This is a simple fact.

What's also a simple fact is that the Irish State spends more money than it earns. Given the current attitudes to inflation within the ECB, that means more taxes or less services. If we are already paying for water then there's something else we're not paying for.

They wouldn't be looking for this money if they didn't need it. Of course someone's going to suggest to take all the money off the .1% who seem to have all the money but that really ain't feasible.

Of course they do, but it isn't the workers fault that this charge is being introduced. I genuinely feel sorry for the workers.

I agree, I wouldn't give the workers a problem, I'd make them a cup of tea. But I would explain to them in a professional manner that they cannot put a water meter on or outside my property because I protest.

I agree, I wouldn't give the workers a problem, I'd make them a cup of tea. But I would explain to them in a professional manner that they cannot put a water meter on or outside my property because I protest.

That's the right way to do it.

What's also a simple fact is that the Irish State spends more money than it earns. Given the current attitudes to inflation within the ECB, that means more taxes or less services. If we are already paying for water then there's something else we're not paying for.

Pensions the highest in Europe for ex politicians senior civil servants and don't forget the banksters. Liam Cosgrave served as TShirt in the seventies he is still claiming it to day, John Bruton, Brtie, Cowan Robinson ex pres, all the free loaders in RTE, I can go on. These are the ba$tards that are bleeding the country and why we have to bring water rates. Are they worth it?.

Point taken, but what else is on the way if folk lay back and take it ?.

It's getting to the stage now where Irish people are hunking down and lying on their back like a placid dog to be tickled on the tummy into submission by this constantly lying government. It's time to stand up now and scratch it off, and vote them out with a big feck-off and don't come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 13505

Ignore the fact that it may be a tax, and take it at face value - imagine it is a "water charge".

You wouldn't be paying for water, you'd be paying for the treatment of water, which costs hundreds of millions each year. Go down to the stream if you want water, go to your tap if you want the expensive treated water.

Of course ideally we wouldn't want to be paying for anything, but someone has to pay for it, and the fact is that our government (no matter how much of a mess they've made through bailouts etc.) can't afford it (which they really can't unless they start charging us or another boom happens).

We as humans have thrived and survived for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of years drinking untreated water. Now in 2014, all of a sudden somebody has to pay hundreds of millions every year?

We are human. Earth is old.
    All the trillions of animals over the billions of years have never payed for water. NOT WATER.
    ANYTHING but water!

Liam Cosgrave served as TShirt in the seventies he is still claiming it to day, John Bruton, Brtie, Cowan Robinson ex pres, all the free loaders in RTE, I can go on. These are the ba$tards that are bleeding the country and why we have to bring water rates. Are they worth it?.

They're not, that's the plain truth. The ridiculous pensions probably cost 20m a year - disgraceful I know, but this really is pennies in the large scheme of things. It'll take billions to clean up this mess, they definitely should have their pensions cut but that still wouldn't solve the problem. They got us into this mess, but it is us who have to get us out of it, no two ways about it.

Ha Ha, that is what the nationalist community did when the brits came into NI.
    Have a cuppa, Ill put kettle on.

Do not mean to derail the thread, but I couldn't resist.

13505 wrote: »
    We as humans have thrived and survived for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of years drinking untreated water. Now in 2014, all of a sudden somebody has to pay hundreds of millions every year?

We are human. Earth is old.
    All the trillions of animals over the billions of years have never payed for water. NOT WATER.
    ANYTHING but water!

Animals drink from the river, you're welcome to as well if you wish FOR FREE, but with sewerage and industrial contamination we need to treat water or we'll all get very sick.

And in case you don't know, your water'a been being treated for (I guess) about 100 years.

They're not, that's the plain truth. The ridiculous pensions probably cost 20m a year - disgraceful I know, but this really is pennies in the large scheme of things. It'll take billions to clean up this mess, they definitely should have their pensions cut but that still wouldn't solve the problem. They got us into this mess, but it is us who have to get us out of it, no two ways about it.

Start at the top instead of putting ordinary people working or on welfare into financial ruin.

Start at the top instead of putting ordinary people working or on welfare into financial ruin.

I agree, but it still won't solve the problem, you can't change the past.

Ha Ha, that is what the nationalist community did when the brits came into NI.
    Have a cuppa, Ill put kettle on.

Do not mean to derail the thread, but I couldn't resist.

That's back then. But honestly, the way I see it is this... These workers are not interested in screwing any-one, they need to earn a wage, and in this case they are doing their job. It is not these workers that are a problem, it is the government. I can see no point at all to give the workers a bashing, as they are just doing the job they need to get paid for. And I would make them a cup of tea either way as they are not the one's screwing us all.

They were just given the dirty job.

Stand on the water hole and just say no thanks I don't want that meter here and block them nicely and they can't do anything. Getting aggressive with the workers is unprofessional and is idiotic. You can deal with this situation calmly and in good taste.

I agree, but it still won't solve the problem, you can't change the past.

But you can make inroads into the future by reducing the pensions to these parasites that fooked the country, and it is more than €20 million.

An old saying " look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves".

• Registered Users Posts: 15 13505

Animals drink from the river, you're welcome to as well if you wish FOR FREE, but with sewerage and industrial contamination we need to treat water or we'll all get very sick.

And in case you don't know, your water'a been being treated for (I guess) about 100 years.

Obviously I can't speak for all of humanity, but with regards to my own ancestors, I guess that's possibly great grandparents multiply by many 1000's, (maybe more I'm not entirely sure??? ) got on perfectly fine. Not a bother to them.

Big shout out to my ancient ancestors!!

• Advertisement

But you can make inroads into the future by reducing the pensions to these parasites that fooked the country, and it is more than €20 million.

An old saying " look after the pennies, the pounds will look after themselves".

Found the real figures, quite staggering, all expenses whilst still in office; €300000 per TD per year, €570000 per minister per year. €9.65m was the pension bill for former ministers in 2011.

Advertisement