Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigger cf for long range varminting

Options
  • 15-04-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have a 223 at the moment and considering getting a 22-250/243/25-06. Basically want something that will reach further, have less wind drift and flatter shooting. Want to try a different calibre anyway. Might want it for deer at a later stage but please disregard that yet as a requirement. Would like to hear thoughts and expeeiences of said rounds, pros and cons etc. Oh one other thing, is it possible to licence these rounds in Ireland for vermin (primarily fox). Thanks for reading folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

kay 9 wrote: »
    Hi all, have a 223 at the moment and considering getting a 22-250/243/25-06. Basically want something that will reach further, have less wind drift and flatter shooting. Want to try a different calibre anyway. Might want it for deer at a later stage but please disregard that yet as a requirement. Would like to hear thoughts and expeeiences of said rounds, pros and cons etc. Oh one other thing, is it possible to licence these rounds in Ireland for vermin (primarily fox). Thanks for reading folks.

How far are you looking to shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Depends what your super thinks really. Some won't give deer calibres for foxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

bravestar wrote: »
    How far are you looking to shoot?
    Out to 500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Out to 500

Ethical and safety considerations aside, .223 is perfectly capable of that. I know you might just want to try a new calibre and if so, cool but don't think you can't achieve that with what you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://m.hornady.com/store/243-Win-558gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

http://m.hornady.com/store/243-Win-100-gr-InterLock-BTSP-AW/

http://m.hornady.com/store/220-Swift-55-gr-V-MAX/

http://m.hornady.com/store/22-250-Rem-50-gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

http://m.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-55-GR-GMX-Superformance/

Just a comparison between various calibers shows trajectories out to 500, interesting to see there's not much in it for your max range, you'll still have to be dialing up between 27 to 30 odd inches no matter your choice based on the above. IMO Just based on these figures your not going to get much of a difference to warrant a change unless your seriously thinking of stalking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had this all written out, was at something else, came back, then seen Cookimonsters post. Still i'm after writing it so posting it anyway. ;)

Both the .243 and 25-06 are good rounds and well capable of doing what you want. As was said above the .223 would also do the job, but these two would do it "easier".

The .243 has it's Pros & some cons. It's a lighter recoil rifle (comparative weight rifles) has more readily available ammo in more variety (at least here). It'd be a better/more popular caliber to re-sell down the road. The selection of bullets are lighter than the 25-06 with max weight of around 100 gr.

The 25-06 is a 30-06 case necked down to 6.5 mm. It's a long action compared to the short action of the .243 (if that makes a difference to you). While the 25-06 is harder hitting it is not by a large amount. Maybe 300 - 400 ft/lb extra. It also does not shoot a whole lot flatter than the .243. Out to 300 yards they are very close and the 25-06 only holds a little over the .243 out to 500 yards. However it is among the flattest of the calibers available to us with the minimal amount of drop over anything from .243 up to .300 WinMag. That is taking into account the closest matching bullets for each caliber.

Other calibers to look at might include the 6.5x47, 6mm br, .260 Rem, but these are not easy to find ammo for, and not always in hunting bullets. IOW for target work they may be better than others, but when you stick a BT, soft nose bullet in it's not better than the 25-06 or .243 but is a hell of a lot more trouble to get ammo for.

Now the 22-250. This might be the caliber for you. While it's a lighter bullet than the .243 (6 mm) or the 26-06 (6.5 mm) it is about the flattest shooting round out there with ready supply of ammo. The 55 gr would drop about 20%+ less than any other round and in some cases up to 40% less. Wind drift would be more, but you are talking about 15% more drift which given it's flat shooting is not much. The 22-250 might also be the "easiest" option to get without needing a deer permission, but has the added benefit of being deer legal.

The only other flat shooting round i can think of would be the .220 swift. Very flat, possibly more so than the 22-250, and a well capable round. Just deer legal, mild recoil, but noisy as all hell without a mod.

Decisions, decisions, eh. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

Have you got a rangefinder and a good scope with target turrets ?
    If not you would be better off spending your money on them first.
    No matter what calibre you get after about 300 yards the bullet will drop rapidly so you will have little chance of hitting anything without dialling your scope for that range.
    I have shot rabbits and crows out as far as 500 yards with my 204 but if I didnt adjust my scope for elevation and windage I wouldnt have a hope of hitting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

zeissman wrote: »
    No matter what calibre you get after about 300 yards the bullet will drop rapidly so you will have little chance of hitting anything without dialling your scope for that range.
    I have shot rabbits and crows out as far as 500 yards with my 204 but if I didnt adjust my scope for elevation and windage I wouldnt have a hope of hitting anything.

Best advice I have seen given on the subject, any calibre will shoot to 500 yards once you have the equipment to do it accurately.

https://m.hornady.com/store/243-Win-558gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

http://m.hornady.com/store/243-Win-100-gr-InterLock-BTSP-AW/

http://m.hornady.com/store/220-Swift-55-gr-V-MAX/

http://m.hornady.com/store/22-250-Rem-50-gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

http://m.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-55-GR-GMX-Superformance/

Just a comparison between various calibers shows trajectories out to 500, interesting to see there's not much in it for your max range, you'll still have to be dialing up between 27 to 30 odd inches no matter your choice based on the above. IMO Just based on these figures your not going to get much of a difference to warrant a change unless your seriously thinking of stalking.
    Thanks for them links mate. I'm converted to the 22-250 I think. Seems a more suitable round for what I want it for tbh. Can't see myself stalking for another couple yrs anyway and when that time comes I'd prefer Smth more dedicated such as 270/308/30-06 etc.

zeissman wrote: »
    I had a Leica 1200 but think I'll invest again. I kind of lost time for shooting the last couple years but getting back into again slowly. As for the scope I might use the brothers, he has a nice bushnell with target turrets and it gets no use lol.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Had this all written out, was at something else, came back, then seen Cookimonsters post. Still i'm after writing it so posting it anyway. ;)

Both the .243 and 25-06 are good rounds and well capable of doing what you want. As was said above the .223 would also do the job, but these two would do it "easier".

The .243 has it's Pros & some cons. It's a lighter recoil rifle (comparative weight rifles) has more readily available ammo in more variety (at least here). It'd be a better/more popular caliber to re-sell down the road. The selection of bullets are lighter than the 25-06 with max weight of around 100 gr.

The 25-06 is a 30-06 case necked down to 6.5 mm. It's a long action compared to the short action of the .243 (if that makes a difference to you). While the 25-06 is harder hitting it is not by a large amount. Maybe 300 - 400 ft/lb extra. It also does not shoot a whole lot flatter than the .243. Out to 300 yards they are very close and the 25-06 only holds a little over the .243 out to 500 yards. However it is among the flattest of the calibers available to us with the minimal amount of drop over anything from .243 up to .300 WinMag. That is taking into account the closest matching bullets for each caliber.

Other calibers to look at might include the 6.5x47, 6mm br, .260 Rem, but these are not easy to find ammo for, and not always in hunting bullets. IOW for target work they may be better than others, but when you stick a BT, soft nose bullet in it's not better than the 25-06 or .243 but is a hell of a lot more trouble to get ammo for.

Now the 22-250. This might be the caliber for you. While it's a lighter bullet than the .243 (6 mm) or the 26-06 (6.5 mm) it is about the flattest shooting round out there with ready supply of ammo. The 55 gr would drop about 20%+ less than any other round and in some cases up to 40% less. Wind drift would be more, but you are talking about 15% more drift which given it's flat shooting is not much. The 22-250 might also be the "easiest" option to get without needing a deer permission, but has the added benefit of being deer legal.

The only other flat shooting round i can think of would be the .220 swift. Very flat, possibly more so than the 22-250, and a well capable round. Just deer legal, mild recoil, but noisy as all hell without a mod.
    Agree on the 22-250, as I said to one the lads I think I've decided to downsize from the 243 idea. Much more suited to what I want really. When the time comes I'll invest in a deer calibre specifically for that. Only other thing, I do wild goats at times and I'm assuming the 22-250 is more than up to it? The 223 was fine but shot placement needed to be 100% accurate. But, foxing and long range magpies etc are my main quarry.

Decisions, decisions, eh. :D

Think I've decided to downsize the 243 idea to a 22-250. Agree, it's a much more suitable round for what I want it for. They are a light switch without a mod though and I didn't get an s on my last licence even though I applied

The problem you will have, other than the "S" issue, is the caliber. A lot of lads seem to have issues getting anything over 220 swift for foxing/vermin. Hopefully you won't have to face this, but be prepared for it.

If you are not a member of a range then a deer license might be needed if you have problems getting the caliber for vermin only.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

The problem you will have, other than the "S" issue, is the caliber. A lot of lads seem to have issues getting anything over 220 swift for foxing/vermin. Hopefully you won't have to face this, but be prepared for it.

If you are not a member of a range then a deer license might be needed if you have problems getting the caliber for vermin only.

I think I'm going to go with a 243. I don't want to be changing again for a while and it will cover me for everything, magpie, Fox, goat and maybe deer down the road. I'll have my fingers crossed when I do apply because I know it can be difficult get paperwork through here lol.

The .243 is a great caliber.

The 58 gr V-max have almost no difference in POI between 100 and 200 yards, with about 4 inches art 300. This goes to about 30 inches at 500 yards. IOW with the 58gr it has the same if not better performance than the 22-250, with the added bonus of using a heavy round like the 95gr for deer when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I think I'm going to go with a 243. I don't want to be changing again for a while and it will cover me for everything, magpie, Fox, goat and maybe deer down the road. I'll have my fingers crossed when I do apply because I know it can be difficult get paperwork through here lol.

I was granted a .243 licence recently for fox shooting, with a hope to progress to deer at a later stage. Put a letter with your application stating why you need that specific calibre and it shouldn't be a problem (although every super is different).

I was granted a .243 licence recently for fox shooting, with a hope to progress to deer at a later stage. Put a letter with your application stating why you need that specific calibre and it shouldn't be a problem (although every super is different).

What did ya get? I'm undecided as of yet. I like remmie even though they ain't getting good press the last few years. Would like to try a tikka maybe. More accuracy out of the box is nice.

I cannot oversell the Sako A7. Much better than the Tikka, Remmie, and most others in and under it's price range. Better stock, action, performance. Really worth looking at if nothing else. This was mine.

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=15022

As you can see the stock is much better than Tikka or Remmie. It has a soft, rubberised texture that prevent slipping even when wet. It is also well balanced and not "hollow feeling" like some other stock.

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=15023

With a scope you have a light yet seriouslty accurate stalking rifle capable of one hole (100 yard) and clover leaf (200 yard) groups. It also loves 58gr V-max or 95 gr Federal Nosler.

I cannot oversell the Sako A7. Much better than the Tikka, Remmie, and most others in and under it's price range. Better stock, action, performance. Really worth looking at if nothing else. This was mine.

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=15022

As you can see the stock is much better than Tikka or Remmie. It has a soft, rubberised texture that prevent slipping even when wet. It is also well balanced and not "hollow feeling" like some other stock.

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=15023

With a scope you have a light yet seriouslty accurate stalking rifle capable of one hole (100 yard) and clover leaf (200 yard) groups. It also loves 58gr V-max or 95 gr Federal Nosler.
    That's a nice looking piece of kit cass. What kinda money they running at new? Thanks.

€1,300 - €1,400 depending on dealer. That's trade price. Might do better in cash.

€1,300 - €1,400 depending on dealer. That's trade price. Might do better in cash.

You surprised me. I thought they'd be alot more tbh. How are they different to the 85? Not much more than a tikka. Hmm now we're talking :)

• Advertisement

The price is keen enough. That's why i went for it. Did not have €1,900 for the 85.

The difference are small, but many. It's more to save cost than a drop in quality.

The A7 has plastic components as opposed to the metal ones on the 85. Things such as the mag, bolt shroud, trigger guard, etc. The mounts are weaver whereas the 85 has the dovetail for use with the optilocks. Another €200 saved there. The stock is a hollow version much like the Tikka, but it is far better in terms of quality, and feel much like the 85.

Overall performance is outstanding as you'd expect from Sako. I prefer Sako to Tikka. Nothing wrong with Tikka, but with that stock, the better bolt of Sako, and the small price difference i'm afraid Sako wins.

Thanks for the help and insight mate. Appreciate it. Who are sako dealers in Ireland? Can't find anyone online. Sako is probably the closest thing to a custom job.

There are none afaik.

Used to be Ardee. Not sure who is getting them in now. Think it's just dealers ordering themselves either through McCloys in the North or possibly GMK in the UK.

There is talk of loads of dealers or even some becoming "main dealers", but frankly that term gets thrown around too much. A dealer does a once off bulk order and suddenly they are a main dealer.

Just go to your nearest dealer and ask them to source/price a Sako. See what price they come back then ring around. I got mine in Stakelums, Tipp.

There are none afaik.

Used to be Ardee. Not sure who is getting them in now. Think it's just dealers ordering themselves either through McCloys in the North or possibly GMK in the UK.

There is talk of loads of dealers or even some becoming "main dealers", but frankly that term gets thrown around too much. A dealer does a once off bulk order and suddenly they are a main dealer.

Just go to your nearest dealer and ask them to source/price a Sako. See what price they come back then ring around. I got mine in Stakelums, Tipp.
    Stakelhums seem to get good rep around here for as long as I remember. Might give them a shout during the week. Thanks.

I've dealt with Sean for years. He had three of them in. In .243 (which i bought), and two other calibers i cannot remember now.

No harm to give him a buzz for availability and price. Then ring around a few others. If you were looking to buy cash (no trade) most dealers will get one in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

A few of us were over in Finland a few years back, visiting Valmet Oy, SISU Trucks and the SAKO factory at Riihimaki. It was interesting to see that all the barrels for both brands, SAKO and Tikka, were identical - some were made into SAKO rifles, and others became Tikka rifles.

tac

Would not surprise me at all.

I'm by no means making little of the performance of Tikka rifles. My only points have been about finish, and build quality. For the extra little bit i fell the Sako has so much more over the Tikka in terms of finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Last week my pal Graham turned up on the 100m range with his brand-new, out of the box but cleaned ready to shoot Tikka T3 in 6.5x55SE, with a nice 3-12 Leupold scope on top. He had with him a couple of boxes of Norma 120gr ammuntion with brown plastic tips. Not being a game-shooter [he obviously is] I'd never seen this before, and I watched, since I was one of the RCOs, as he got the rifle shooting to his satisfaction.

Meanwhile, I was hovering around like a crow on a road-kill waiting for him to throw away the Norma cases...

He gave me the last four rounds he had left to shoot, and handing over to another RCO, I let rip with Graham's nice new Tikka.

The target was the usual 1.5" Shoot-n-See.

The result was three bullets in one hole and the forth, my last shot, about half an inch away. All were and inch higher than the target, and slightly left, but then, it's not my rifle. Pics available to those clever enough to be able to post them, if required.

I was VERY impressed at how nicely the stock felt, and what a sweet round it is to shoot, especially with a good trigger that this one had.

If it was my 'thing', I would have no hesitation in taking this combination into the field, or onto the hill.

A lovely thing, and Graham's third Tikka T3, too - has a .223Rem and a .308Win as well.

tac

PS - I got the cases, too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Would not surprise me at all.

I'm by no means making little of the performance of Tikka rifles. My only points have been about finish, and build quality. For the extra little bit i fell the Sako has so much more over the Tikka in terms of finishing.

Agreed. Bit like VW and Skoda - essentially the same reliability, build etc. but one is a premium version with a few selected performance tweaks.

IMHO Sako stocks and triggers are generally superior to Tikka. Accuracy? I can't shoot well enough to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

tac foley wrote: »
    Last week my pal Graham turned up on the 100m range with his brand-new, out of the box but cleaned ready to shoot Tikka T3 in 6.5x55SE, with a nice 3-12 Leupold scope on top. He had with him a couple of boxes of Norma 120gr ammuntion with brown plastic tips. Not being a game-shooter [he obviously is] I'd never seen this before, and I watched, since I was one of the RCOs, as he got the rifle shooting to his satisfaction.

Meanwhile, I was hovering around like a crow on a road-kill waiting for him to throw away the Norma cases...

He gave me the last four rounds he had left to shoot, and handing over to another RCO, I let rip with Graham's nice new Tikka.

The target was the usual 1.5" Shoot-n-See.

The result was three bullets in one hole and the forth, my last shot, about half an inch away. All were and inch higher than the target, and slightly left, but then, it's not my rifle. Pics available to those clever enough to be able to post them, if required.

I was VERY impressed at how nicely the stock felt, and what a sweet round it is to shoot, especially with a good trigger that this one had.

If it was my 'thing', I would have no hesitation in taking this combination into the field, or onto the hill.

A lovely thing, and Graham's third Tikka T3, too - has a .223Rem and a .308Win as well.

tac

PS - I got the cases, too. ;)

Hi Tac, on real surprise ...the Norma 120 with the nosler heads are (IMO) the best ammo out there for the 6.5x55 .Excellent accuracy and great round for deer and foxes .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

Advertisement