Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Got the new album today as a Christmas pressie. I like it but it's such a short album!
    Short, but sweet. In comparison, Black Ice turned out to be too long. IMO, they were better off putting more effort into fewer songs like they did on ROB. The sound is good, Brian's voice holds up well, Stevie fills in really well for Malcolm, and there are 5 very decent songs (i.e. that I'm still listening to on the iPod). I got it when it came out, and I think it's a really decent effort all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

McDave wrote: »

He should just lay low and keep his gob shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Phil's fornicating comment is really out of step with AC/DC because the other guys wouldn't venture those types of bravado comments.

You can imagine Phil attempt to crash an AC/DC Australia gig in a helicopter or something, the way he's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Got Rock Or Bust yesterday as a Secret Santa gift, and it's short n' sweet & just good old straight ahead 4/4 rock n' roll, no fancy bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Album on sale for €8 in Golden Discs today which is a fairly decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Just announced as the Friday headliners at Coachella (April 10th & 17th)...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wonder will that be a once off or will they announce a tour around it? since The Razors Edge haven't they always started the tour in America. Also if they start earlier than May they would be effectively shutting the door on Rudd.

Wonder will that be a once off or will they announce a tour around it? since The Razors Edge haven't they always started the tour in America. Also if they start earlier than May they would be effectively shutting the door on Rudd.

I've not known them to do once-off things before a tour like that, plus wouldn't they want to be warmed up before headlining a festival? If they start in April, then it would be hard to see any place for Rudd but then May wasn't exactly looking so good for him either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Would have thought there would be at least a chance of him coming back if they started in May, unless the case is dismissed completely next month and he cops himself on it doesn't seem likely that he'll be back.

• Advertisement

Would have thought there would be at least a chance of him coming back if they started in May, unless the case is dismissed completely next month and he cops himself on it doesn't seem likely that he'll be back.

Copping himself on and getting back to the old Phil would probably take more time than he has at this point. I don't know if you can really rush a personal journey like that. Beating the charges aside, there's the pretty big question about whether or not the band would want to spend much personal time or even remain associated with Rudd the way he seems to be at this time, or even a straight Rudd who'd be running the risk of lapsing back into that mode of behaviour.

Rudd is the best fit for the band, strictly musically speaking, but it doesn't matter how good he is if he screwed up on tour, and put the whole show in jeopardy. I'd say the band will opt to avoid the drama, knowing how keen they are to be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-09/malcolm-young-had-lung-cancer

Poor Malcolm, pacemaker, lung cancer and then the dementia takes him out :mad:

Roanmore wrote: »
    http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-09/malcolm-young-had-lung-cancer

Poor Malcolm, pacemaker, lung cancer and then the dementia takes him out :mad:

Hopefully when AC/DC come to Australia, they can arrange to bring to Malcolm to the Sydney gig. I'd like to think that his condition is not so bad that he could go along and enjoy the gig from the wings and have a meetup with his brothers in the band. The criminal thing about the dementia is that it will basically stop him consciously enjoying the fruits of his labors at some point, if it hasn't already. Hopefully he'll get to at least be around a performance one time before the condition stops him enjoying even that.

AC/DC are looking set to play the Grammy Awards this year. That's at least one performance that Phil won't be able to make because they'll be rocking the stage while he'll be in the dock.

Any thoughts on who the drummer might be for the Grammys? Rumour has it that that Phil's bail conditions don't preclude him from leaving NZ, but there's still the matter of whether he's in shape to play or whether the band would want him there given his recent shenanigans. Besides Phil, every name in drumming is getting bandied about such as Charlie Watts, Dave Grohl, Jimmy Chamberlin, Tommy Lee, the return of Slade/Wright, and some newphew of the Youngs. Bob Richards has been effectively ruled out as both parties have stated he was just filling in.

briany wrote: »
    Any thoughts on who the drummer might be for the Grammys? Rumour has it that that Phil's bail conditions don't preclude him from leaving NZ, but there's still the matter of whether he's in shape to play or whether the band would want him there given his recent shenanigans. Besides Phil, every name in drumming is getting bandied about such as Charlie Watts, Dave Grohl, Jimmy Chamberlin, Tommy Lee, the return of Slade/Wright, and some newphew of the Youngs. Bob Richards has been effectively ruled out as both parties have stated he was just filling in.

A list of potential candidates here

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/acdc-drummer-grammys/

Taking the easy option by listing Wright/Slade and Bonham who's name always seems to get thrown around for these things. I can't see it being anyone on their list (except for Animal..!!) and think it'll be someone from some obscure band that most of us never heard of.

A list of potential candidates here

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/acdc-drummer-grammys/

Taking the easy option by listing Wright/Slade and Bonham who's name always seems to get thrown around for these things. I can't see it being anyone on their list (except for Animal..!!) and think it'll be someone from some obscure band that most of us never heard of.

Yeah, you just don't know who they could pick. Three things I think are fairly likely about whoever it'll be, though :

1. They won't be a star in their own right.

2. They won't be hired on account of their amazing chops, but their ability to conform to the band's style and fit in personality wise, while also being reliable.

3. They'll be around the same age. Ten year age difference maximum.

That said about the age difference, though, a guy I would have liked to see get the gig is the Darkness' former drummer Ed Graham who left the band back in October.

Fair amount of 'detective work' going on at the AC/DC forum. Sound guys going to LA, Angus has been spotted there and took a picture with Anne Wilson of Heart stood outside a rehearsal studio in LA, and some session bass player posted a pic on Twitter beside an AC/DC flight case as if to say, look who's rehearsing at the same studio. Simon Wright is in the UK, Chris Slade is in Las Vegas for NAMM and Phil Rudd hasn't been heard from, however Brian is in Newcastle and Cliffs been pictured at the gala dinner in the Caymans. Claims coming out that nothing in Rudd's bail conditions would preclude him from leaving the country. Guitar Magazine and Ultimate Guitar both claim that Slade has gotten the job and Slade's website is currently down for some sort of upgrade. AC/DC Italia earlier claimed that Wright had gotten the gig. Chris Slade's son has also recently joined the AC/DC forum and started posting under Iamdrummist.

Basically, no one knows what the hell is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I really hope its Rudd or Slade

I really hope its Rudd or Slade

I'm the same for nostalgia reasons but lets's be honest, none of us are going to an AC/DC gig to see the drummer. As long as he's competent, I don't care who they put behind the kit.

• Advertisement

Angus and Cliff sitting outside 3rd Encore Studios yesterday. The figure standing behind the screen on the left isn't exactly doing much to quash Slade rumors...

FGesd1j.jpg

13679265.jpg?74a9e17145e7f4579135d088b5d791cbc6f0d88657709b73ca700fb2cca6e1c71ef1f19b3d55d964b40c3b023321e758

I'm the same for nostalgia reasons but lets's be honest, none of us are going to an AC/DC gig to see the drummer. As long as he's competent, I don't care who they put behind the kit.
    Yep. I remember Rudd's drum kicking in in the opening minute of the Simmonscourt gig in '82. After that, all the attention went straight to Angus and Brian. Where it stayed for the rest of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Although my 1st memory of the point depot gig in 91 was Chris slades bald head coming up through the stage with the opening of Thunderstruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

13679265.jpg?74a9e17145e7f4579135d088b5d791cbc6f0d88657709b73ca700fb2cca6e1c71ef1f19b3d55d964b40c3b023321e758

The grassy knoll

4 days before they're due to play the Grammy awards and nobody (except the band, presumably) has a clue who's drumming for them. Nobody's heard from Phil, Slade's rumoured to be in LA and cancelled an upcoming autograph appearance, Wright's been ducking questions about his involvement and Charlie Watts touched down in New York where the band are said to be staying. Just funny how the position has suddenly become shrouded in more mystery than the upper echelons of Masonry.

4 days before they're due to play the Grammy awards and nobody (except the band, presumably) has a clue who's drumming for them. Nobody's heard from Phil, Slade's rumoured to be in LA and cancelled an upcoming autograph appearance, Wright's been ducking questions about his involvement and Charlie Watts touched down in New York where the band are said to be staying. Just funny how the position has suddenly become shrouded in more mystery than the upper echelons of Masonry.

Some news at last. Nothing concrete but hints of it being Chris Slade based on one comment from the organiser of that event Briany mentioned.

http://www.nme.com/news/acdc/82666

Angus is playing his cards close to his chest, keeping his options open as long as he can. A fit Rudd is the ideal choice. But Angus will know precisely when to cut him loose, if he hasn't been cut loose already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Honestly, who gives a flying **** who's playing drums?

Honestly, who gives a flying **** who's playing drums?

Fans of the band generally take an interest in the lineups.

I've read that comment about Slade and his coming 'big career announcement' and it sounds tantalising, although there is a slight chance that it means he's rejoining his old friend Tom Jones who will also be performing at the Grammies. Just something to keep in mind. Still the possibility it could be Rudd since there's been zero heard which definitively quashes that, or even Bob Richards, even though Angus said that the relationship didn't extend beyond filling in on those video shoots.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fans of the band generally take an interest in the lineups.

Well I can guarantee you 90% of the people at the gig won't give a toss who's sitting behind the drum kit.

Advertisement