Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halt And Catch Fire [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks good alright. :)
    Halt and Catch Fire is an upcoming 2014 period drama that is set to air on AMC. Its 10-episode first season is slated to premiere on Sunday, June 1, 2014. The name is a reference to the fictitious machine code instruction Halt and Catch Fire (HCF) which causes a computer's central processing unit to cease all meaningful function. The show is set in the early 1980s, and depicts a fictionalized insider's view of the personal computer revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Can't say it looks terribly good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'm really excited for this, I think it could be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I watched the first episode last night and while there were one or two scenes that had me rolling my eyes I enjoyed it overall and will definitely be watching the next episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SligoQueries

This looks incredibly stupid and unrealistic. There's no way a stereotypical punk girl like that was involved in the real story of this. She's a made-up character for today's audience.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did not especially enjoy the pilot. I couldn't care for any of the characters, the amount of clunky exposition put ST Voyager to shame, the whole set up
    of their bosses hating them soooooo very, very much was overkill
    and it was painful how much of an effort was clearly being made to make the show scream 80s!!!!!! Compared to The Americans, a show set in a similar era, it came off really badly. In The Americans characters go about their lives while happening to live in the 80s, in HaCF some of the characters go around with a heavy handed 80s 'tude. It's eye roll inducing but at the same time badly done. Like how when Gordon's family came out of the cinema there were Return of the Jedi posters up, yet not one single person exited the cinema looking as if they'd just come out of Return of the Jedi. It felt like a sloppy imitation of bad 80s movie rather than an 80s setting.

I'll probably watch the next episode to see if it gets better now that the premise has been established and the characters are in place. But I'm not expecting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you can listen to the founder of compaq who were the ones that actually reversed engineered the ibm-pc interviewed via http://mashable.com/2014/05/29/halt-and-catch-fire-amc-compaq/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I was primed to like it, but it's just OK so far. I'll continue giving it a chance for a while.

In some ways Silicon Valley felt more insightful, even though it's a comedy. That one didn't hook me in the pilot either, but the season as a whole was strong.
    There's no way a stereotypical punk girl like that was involved in the real story of this.

In real life it was three nerdy looking white guys, exactly like you'd expect.

In fiction, they're going to take heat if they made a show with an all male cast, but they could have at least gone with someone more representative of women working in the field and not strained credulity so much. The engineer's wife is a reasonable portrayal, though wouldn't have worked as the outsider.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just finished watching episode 2.
    Love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I just keep seeing Lee Pace as an Elf from The Hobbit films
    anyone else thinks that they are trying to make him into the next Don Draper?

you can see the parrallels to mad men, but its its own story, although they've added a lot, its bit My Fair Lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Very derivative but enjoyable nonetheless.

Looking forward to tonight's episode and am very glad to have something to watch on Monday evenings for the next couple of months.

The lighting is quite annoying though. Probably a production design decision to give it somewhere to go as "technology" advances, but too many scenes look like they've been lit with candles.I'm hoping that as the season progresses they'll brighten it up a bit.

Also, everyone's a bit one-note, performance-wise, at the moment. Again, I'm hoping we'll see some different shades to the characters as season moves forward.

Great premise though. Read up on IBM, Compaq, etc. and it was a very interesting time, to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Decent episode last night. Beginning to really enjoy this now and the bonus being something decent to watch over the summer months.

This has been really good, can defo see it sticking around for a while. Last nights episode was one of the best so far for me.

computer based Mad Men

CAD Men ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great episode last night.
    Your one has a very sexy look in her eyes sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Very hit and miss this one. Some great moments, some very poor and annoying ones.

Being a bit nerdy myself, I do like the idea of the plot and the era, but there is an awful lot of lame stuff going on here also.

Wait and see what happens.

I really like the opening credits though, which usually I nearly always fast forward after one watch. Loved the artistic design of these ones.

• Advertisement

donnas on board woot

i didn't realise the thing they showed at the previous comdexshow where he had a meltdown was an electroic piano that donna played i thought it was just another computer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Is it odd that Donna's my favourite character on this show? Initially I thought they were setting her up to be another Skylar White i.e. someone that acts as a drag on the main character but she's the most rounded character of the lot.

Joe is simply unlikeable as is Cameron and their sex scenes are laughably implausible and stupid. They should leave the "sexposition" to Game of Thrones.
    Anyhow last night's episode was the best so far.

I like Joe and Donna's characters as well. Dislike Cameron's but hate Gordon :pac:

think this will get a second series? hope it does as im finding it very enjoyable

Bosworth is really drinking the Kool-aid as the yanks say

that was a fantastic episode, I didn't think it was as set in reality as it was but that ending!

please say people are watching this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Skerries wrote: »
    that was a fantastic episode, I didn't think it was as set in reality as it was but that ending!

please say people are watching this

Great ending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Good episode alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great ending.... the promo for the finale was very clever too (no escape, no alternative, no ctrl).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That didn't feel like much of a finale tbh. Should have just finished up with last week's episode.

Advertisement