Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're old when....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Whenever I see a 'vintage' scene, say a kitchen or living room from the 1930's, such as this one:

http://www.ultraswank.net/interior/a-british-1930s-time-capsule-in-full-swing/

I immediately come over all warm and fuzzy. The other decades leave me cold. I wasn't even a twinkle in the 30's. I was born in the 50's so I can't figure it out.

It looks like my granny's house! (I'm also a child of the 50s, my granny is long gone, but it's not a warm fuzzy feeling for me - the scratchy feel of the chairs on my bare legs, the not-being-allowed to run around, the grouchy grandfather...but granny was a lovely warm person. Just old at a relatively young age.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

When you're watching a GAA match and see a young fella and say jesus his oul fella was some player back in the day.
    Happened me last year watching jack mccaffrey for the dubs..
    i was only 32 at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

You know you're gettin' old if............ you can remember going to the cinema and there were TWO films showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Eph1958 wrote: »
    You know you're gettin' old if............ you can remember going to the cinema and there were TWO films showing.

I can remember going to the cinema and there was ONE film showing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I remember going to the cinema for the afternoon matinee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

......when someone stands by with a fire extinguisher when they light your birthday candles.

......when your arms are too short to read the paper.

......when you see the latest female celebrity airhead and think "wow, I bet her mother is amazing".

......when you take the lift, just to hear good music.

......when you realize that some of the buttons on your 501's have been open all day......but you don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

BrensBenz wrote: »
    ............when you realize that some of the buttons on your 501's have been open all day......but you don't care.

Dinosaur!

......when you realize that some of the buttons on your 501's have been open all day......but you don't care.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Dinosaur!

Buttons are....safer! (It's a man thing.)

And, on a related theme, you know you're old when you "go commando" by accident. Now, THAT, in combination with the above, might cause some concern.

What time is it? Why am I still up? Where am I?

And, on a related theme, you know you're old when you "go commando" by accident. Now, THAT, in combination with the above, might cause some concern.

What time is it? Why am I still up? Where am I?

Nothing at all is safe with a memory like that! :D

[/SIZE]

I learned that at a very early age :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    I learned that at a very early age :eek::eek::eek:

Yes, me too! Never was a great singer but, thanks to YKK and my ukulele, I can still do a passable Tiny Tim impression.

I learned to imitate the sound of a cat in a mangle

I learned to imitate the sound of a cat in a mangle

So..............you ARE a closet bagpipe apologist after all! RagginsnagglinandotherMuttleynoises.

You know how, with age, you lose the ability to hear higher frequencies? How old do you have to be to not hear bagpipes anymore?

Ohhhhh Gawwwd! I've just remembered: The Glasgow games start soon and I'll bet that, as we speak, there are hoards of cat-stranglers all over Scotland working themselves up to deliver the mother of all cacophonies for the opening ceremony. Thank Heaven for "MUTE".

I am not seriously into bagpipes, and as Sean Connery himself said "Sure and it takes a real Irishman to play thre pipes" (In the film The Longest Day, as he heard a Scottish piper approaching)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

I am not seriously into bagpipes, and as Sean Connery himself said "Sure and it takes a real Irishman to play thre pipes" (In the film The Longest Day, as he heard a Scottish piper approaching)

Maybe I'm straying off a bit here, but thought this might be of interest, especially the Jew's Harp....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3UIkJN7r9Q

Apologies to all but I like it :) Hope you do too.

Not for me roran, but hey, knock yourself out!

That's one heck of a fireplace though, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Meanwhile, back on topic, asking someone to play a game of backgammon and they whip out the phone while asking what app I wish to use.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement