Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Gave mine a good wash today, the chemical guys carnuba wax I put on a month ago is still working away amazingly. Although now that my car is parked in an underground carpark, it tends not to see too much rain so I'd guess that helps a lot! Also managed to slightly curb one of my rear wheels. Nothing too bad, but still raging. I guess I've had the wheels a year and a half now, some minor damage is to be expected eventually!

Wheel wizards in finglas would sort you out, if you wanted

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wheel wizards in finglas would sort you out, if you wanted

The damage is very slight, and the wheels are BBS bought new 1.5 years ago, so I'd rather not compromise the original finish too soon. Maybe further on down the line I'd consider it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A quick question guys/gals I'm trying to keep the car shiny like new only have it a week but it's starting to get dirty in certain parts (front bumper) etc Is there any product I can use that will keep it shiny?? It was waxed/shined with diamond bright before I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Wash it using the two bucket method, with a good wash mitt and pH neutral shampoo. A good microfiber drying towel is also advised.
    Regular washing, using the correct technique, will keep it looking very well for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

If that diamond bright is same stuff optioned on hyundai dealers then imo it ain't up to much.

Be better using one of the well known brands of sealant/wax.

Bilthamber finis-wax is a good wax and decent price. Heard good stuff about the double speed wax to.

Used autobrite nano seal on my black insignia, looking good so far. Only been on a few weeks.

Regular wash with good shampoo to, not fairy liquid some people I know use lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Just browsing on Detailing Shed there and wondering what is the difference between the Belt Hamber Auto Mitt & Chemical Guys Chenille Wash Mitt ?

The both look very different to each other but i'm assuming they do the same thing obviously.

http://www.detailingshed.com/washing/111-bilt-hamber-auto-mitt.html

http://www.detailingshed.com/washing/59-chemical-guys-chenille-wash-mitt.html

They do the same thing - I personally prefer a microfiber mitt (so the Bilt Hamber Auto Mitt out of the two you linked), over the noodle mitt, as I feel there is more pile for dirt and grit to be absorbed into, keeping it away from the surface of the paintwork, and thus limiting swirls.
    Some people prefer the noodle mitts, others prefer lambswool, and others a microfiber.
    Bilt Hamber Auto Mitt or Microfiber Madness Incredimitt would be the two I'd choose, with the Incredimitt just pipping it, as its double sided and has a built in sponge to hold extra shampoo & water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Incredimitt Al day over the others.
    Best one I have used a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lads, could I get a step by step breakdown of the correct procedure to have the car ready for a machine correction/polish.

Would I be right in saying it's something like this:

Wheels
    Rinse Car
    2 Bucket Wash
    Rinse Car
    Clay
    Fallout/Tar/Iron Removers
    Rinse
    Dry
    Compound
    Medium Polish
    Light Polish
    Clean with IPA or the Like
    Glaze
    Seal
    Wax

Is that the correct order? Is there something I'm missing?

Lads, could I get a step by step breakdown of the correct procedure to have the car ready for a machine correction/polish.

Would I be right in saying it's something like this:

Wheels
    Rinse Car
    2 Bucket Wash
    Rinse Car
    Clay
    Fallout/Tar/Iron Removers
    Rinse
    Dry
    Compound
    Medium Polish
    Light Polish
    Clean with IPA or the Like
    Glaze
    Seal
    Wax

Is that the correct order? Is there something I'm missing?

You shouldn't need to glaze after machine polishing.

• Advertisement

Tar and Iron Fallout removers before claying! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A glaze is basically like a filler so as vectra said, it's not needed if the machine polishing is done properly :P

Well, it might be.
    100% correction may not be his intention, nor achievable, or it might be risky to try achieve it, so even if he were to compound, polish and refine it, he might still be left with defects he wants to hide; so a glaze might be a step in the process! ;)

Good point......I'll just retreat back into my corner now..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

Curran, had you any further feedback, positive or negative, on the BH claybar? I'm gonna need to clay my car in a couple of weeks, but after my experience with the BH one I'm almost reluctant to use that one again! Are the other brands any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Thanks for the information lads! Just need to pick up a few more things before I go at it!

Good point......I'll just retreat back into my corner now..... :o

Make room for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Curran wrote: »
    Wash it using the two bucket method, with a good wash mitt and pH neutral shampoo. A good microfiber drying towel is also advised.
    Regular washing, using the correct technique, will keep it looking very well for months.

I'm interested in the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy towel as several people have recommended it here. Detailing Shed sells them but there's no mention of the size. Does anyone know the dimensions of the towel that's for sale on detailing shed by any chance? (ahem...cough.....curran)

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good tyre cleaner please?. Like a tyre foam or something like that to get them properly clean before I apply tyre dressing. Thanks

The Dry Me Crazy towel is big enough that you can fold it twice and 1/8 of it can dry the roof, bonnet and bootlid. It.Is.Superb.

• Advertisement

waraf wrote: »
    I'm interested in the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy towel as several people have recommended it here. Detailing Shed sells them but there's no mention of the size. Does anyone know the dimensions of the towel that's for sale on detailing shed by any chance? (ahem...cough.....curran)

25" * 17"

In this case size doesn't matter! :P
    The towel is more than capable of drying the biggest of cars with ease! ;)

ratracer wrote: »
    Curran, had you any further feedback, positive or negative, on the BH claybar? I'm gonna need to clay my car in a couple of weeks, but after my experience with the BH one I'm almost reluctant to use that one again! Are the other brands any different?

At the time, they hadn't been made aware of any issues. I followed up again, today, and they still haven't heard of anything. They make Auto Clay very large batches, so if anything was to be amiss, it wouldn't slip through the net too easily.

At the time, they hadn't been made aware of any issues. I followed up again, today, and they still haven't heard of anything. They make Auto Clay very large batches, so if anything was to be amiss, it wouldn't slip through the net too easily.

When I order my next batch of stuff from you I'll give you back some of the clay bar I used so you can test it to see if it looks strange to you. It was my first time using clay so it's possible that it normally behaves like that and I was just expecting it to behave more like plasticine.

Some clays are a bit more elastic than others - the Bilt Hamber Auto Clay is not, but it still should fold and knead without too much hassle. I wouldnt mind having a look at it though! ;)

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good tyre cleaner please?. Like a tyre foam or something like that to get them properly clean before I apply tyre dressing. Thanks

No need for anything fancy - a good all purpose cleaner, spray on, agitate with a detailing brush, rinse down. Repeat a 2nd time if necessary! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

When I order my next batch of stuff from you I'll give you back some of the clay bar I used so you can test it to see if it looks strange to you. It was my first time using clay so it's possible that it normally behaves like that and I was just expecting it to behave more like plasticine.

+1 on this lads, I'd be interested to see if it's just a newb claying experience as it was my first effort also, and I reckon our prides were probably from the same batch.

The Dry Me Crazy towel is big enough that you can fold it twice and 1/8 of it can dry the roof, bonnet and bootlid. It.Is.Superb.
    25" * 17"

In this case size doesn't matter! :P
    The towel is more than capable of drying the biggest of cars with ease! ;)

If it is any consolation to you,
    I washed the Passat today and dried it.
    I could have dried another one without wringing it out.

Jeez ye'll wash the paint off that thing if you keep it up!
    Will ye do mine next!
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anyone be able to recommend any product to use to keep the car clean and remove bird ****e without having to get it washed again as I only got it done a couple of days ago.

• Advertisement

Funny you should mention that - just today, an Irish supplier added Poorboys range and one of their products is 'Bird Sh#t Remover' ;)

Advertisement