Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy you about vaping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    I kept buying different juices because I felt I was missing out on something but I kept returning to dekang. A while back I started adding a tiny bit of liqua vanilla to sweeten it and now thats my all day, everyday vape.
    Gotcha on that one....I keep adding a sweet flavour to a tobacco one just to get it quite right....Ha ha haaaa..... I think we have the sane taste in liquids.....:)

Edit: meant sane to read same but sane works too.....:)

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Gotcha on that one....I keep adding a sweet flavour to a tobacco one just to get it quite right....Ha ha haaaa..... I think we have the sane taste in liquids.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Eff Four

Tissues and ear buds! The postman is now considering vaping after delivering supplies to my house every four days for months! My 3 and a half year old son thinks Mammy carries a pencil with her everywhere :o

But honestly, the most annoying thing to me right now is the consistency of juices. Buy 10ml, fall in love, buy 30ml, tastes like crap no matter what I do. Look for a new all day vape. Stock up and be happy for two weeks. It's now out of stock everywhere that can deliver it before I run out. I don't have a lot of money to throw at supplies at a time and that isn't very vaping-friendly in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Vaping AND smoking. It's like a non stop nicotine roller coaster. It's a dreadful idea and it really is making me MORE addicted than ever. I'm having 3 one day then 20 another day and back and forth.

It's not a problem with vaping, it's a problem HOW I'M vaping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Sounds kinda daft when I think about it but when I started vaping I kept telling myself that I was just changing cigarette brands....marlboro lights were no longer available and I had no choice but to stick with the new brand (vaping), took a while but it worked for me.

exactly what i told myself - its like when you go away and the Marlboro lights taste a little different - (i just pretended i was in Spain) that was easy last summer - but it worked:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

dball wrote: »
    exactly what i told myself - its like when you go away and the Marlboro lights taste a little different - (i just pretended i was in Spain) that was easy last summer - but it worked:)

It's a great idea. I read the post about that and thought... that's too easy, surely... wait that's a brilliant idea!

I'm on it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The way my ecig falls out of my breast pocket when i bend forward.

The fragility of everything.

Can we have a sturdy folding ecig please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

The way my ecig falls out of my breast pocket when i bend forward.

The fragility of everything.

Can we have a sturdy folding ecig please?!

How about an itaste vtr or something like this maybe...

http://shop.nhaler.com/Telescopic-Folding-E-Pipe-tpipe.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

leak leak leak leak leak leak......tissue's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Sherfin wrote: »
    People who
    "can't believe you're still "smoking" that over a year. Why don't you give it up?"
    Duh!! I have no intention of "giving up". I enjoy my vaping thank you very much
    and of course the tissues

Makes me want a "no, this is not a nicorette" Tshirt.
    Vapin 4 life homee:pac:

Setting up a microcoil 20 minutes.. heating and tweezing together 10 minutes...adding juice and waiting to soak, 5 minutes. realising the first leg is out and burning... no its not epic its fawking annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

When you put down your vaporizer somewhere and forget were you have put it! or when you break it or lose it when you are on a night out that is truly maddening

robbie02 wrote: »
    When you put down your vaporizer somewhere and forget were you have put it! or when you break it or lose it when you are on a night out that is truly maddening
    Looking for one of mine for the last three hours.....sheesh....and have to go soon.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Also;

That I can't get everything I want from one shop, causing me to pay more in postage fees. One will have the best nicotine, one the best carts, one the best prices etc. A tricky operation to be as tight as I would like.

That DIYing from concentrates is so easy and cost effective. I don't even consider buying premade juices anymore and I'm sure I'm missing out. Hundreds of well liked brands and flavours I'll probably never try.

That it never, ever ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

The one thing that annoys me most about vaping now is the current consensus that vaping is good, everything else is bad....this mantra is being repeated by most vapers and it makes them look silly tbh....there is loads of research to come out yet about vaping that will just not back up that pretty picture ....

A bit more responsibility on the part of vapers to see that what they are doing are not without their hazards instead of the "I'm all right Jack" attitude would go a long way towards the people who are anti-vaping warming a bit to it.......

Edit:I do think vaping is a way healthier alternative to smoking.....but let's not get carried away, it is not going to be as simple as that....!

Flavourings are the biggest unknowns with regards vaping, anyone who believes it's "healthy" clearly has their head buried in the sand. I hate the term healthy/healthier alternative to smoking (there's nothing healthy about smoking!), it's a safer alternative imho and it's about harm reduction. Healthier alternative comes off like an old Guinness advert and implies the product is making you healthy, but it's not it's just your body repairing itself from all the damage done from smoking.

It's sad that regulators are fixating on nicotine and doing next to nothing to address these concerns.

By the same token, I think it's irresponsible to scare-monger without any factual basis other than anecdotal evidence. (cough NETS :P)

I already know your position on NETS (i treat them like cigars myself, I enjoy them every now and again) I know a few people who vaped nothing but NETS for a long long time and they didn't report the smokers cough you seem to get from them, you know it's possible you had a mild allergic reaction to some of the ingredients, just saying, keep an open mind too.

You could very well be absolutely right about them, I don't know to be perfectly honest and until I see data to support this view I'm keeping an open mind, as much as your own personal experience does concern me somewhat.

I'm eagerly awaiting the results of Farsalino's juice study, if the worst case transpires and your suspicions are confirmed, it's going to be flavourless juice from here on in for me.

/Back on topic...

Inconsistent hardware - It's tilting and it annoys me even more than ignorant smokers trying to educate me on the evils of vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Samba wrote: »
    I hate the term healthy/healthier alternative to smoking (there's nothing healthy about smoking!), it's a safer alternative imho and it's about harm reduction. Healthier alternative comes off like an old Guinness advert and implies the product is making you healthy, but it's not it's just your body repairing itself from all the damage done from smoking.

Healthier and safer are practical synonyms. 'Healthier' sounds like "if you use 'this' instead of 'that', you will be choosing the healthier option" i.e. safer, not become healthier than if you had nothing at all. At least that's how I interpret words that have '-er' or '-ier' tacked on to them.
    I'd might be hornier at some times rather than others but that doesn't make me the horniest human on the planet (although I am willing to participate in "tests" to share "data").
    Samba wrote: »
    I already know your position on NETS...
    I'm eagerly awaiting the results of Farsalino's juice study, if the worst case transpires and your suspicions are confirmed, it's going to be flavourless juice from here on in for me.
    Farsalinos put this to rest on VVTV the week after he showed those HoL results, the ones that got dePeatrick in a tizzy - he categorically stated it wasn't because they were NETs (as juices that weren't NETs had similar results), it was about an ingredient in the supply chain that he suspected many juices around the world were using, hence the wide-reaching tests. He's also giving the producers the chance to change their supply or be shamed afterwards so there won't be a witch-hunt based on something innocent like buying improperly prepared PG or VG from one of the giant companies that produces them.

Shame that, I know some around here like a good witch-hunt. :pac:

grindle wrote: »
    Healthier and safer are practical synonyms. 'Healthier' sounds like "if you use 'this' instead of 'that', you will be choosing the healthier option" i.e. safer, not become healthier than if you had nothing at all. At least that's how I interpret words that have '-er' or '-ier' tacked on to them.

I know, perhaps I should have said "could imply to some", but I just prefer the use of the word safer when it comes to describing it, there's no room for misinterpretation due to a lesser understanding of the language.
    Farsalinos put this to rest on VVTV the week after he showed those HoL results, the ones that got dePeatrick in a tizzy - he categorically stated it wasn't because they were NETs (as juices that weren't NETs had similar results), it was about an ingredient in the supply chain that he suspected many juices around the world were using, hence the wide-reaching tests. He's also giving the producers the chance to change their supply or be shamed afterwards so there won't be a witch-hunt based on something innocent like buying improperly prepared PG or VG from one of the giant companies that produces them.

I've already pointed this out to him on another thread. I should have been more specific (I type too fast) but I was also referring to his suspicions regarding general flavourings and diacetyl. In fairness i think it's a genuine concern that shouldn't be dismissed or ignored by vapers. The studies monster within me is always hungry for more data.
    Shame that, I know some around here like a good witch-hunt. :pac:

Hehe, who doesn't enjoy a good witch hunt every now and again? It's usually best to get your facts right before you embark on them though. :)

Do you have a link to that? It may not be NETs specifically but something added to flavour them....Diactyl and several other chemicals added are worrying to say the least.

Refusing to face the facts about the negative sides of eCigs is allowing vendors to continue on selling liquids that contain Chemicals that more and more vapers are refusing to use.

I am only vaping VG/PG 80/20 now with only nicotine and menthol added until I get time to go through all the flavours etc and see exactly what is safe and what is not safe to vape.

Do you have a link to that?

I'm too busy at the moment to go sifting through my post history and vapor trails, but I believe I linked you to the interview, perhaps you could go through your own posts to find it. I'll have a look later otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

The general public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

When you have been using the same coil and amount of cotton without incident for a couple of months and you think you have reached vaping perfection, then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason all you get is dry hit after dry hit.

I haven't changed anything, same juice, same device, same size coil, same amount of cotton....same everything except for dry hits!

Screw you vaping gods, screw you!!

Thanks for that, the first link says oils are not ok for vaping, that is well recognised already and the second although it gives a long listing of various properties of flavours does not list the chemicals that make up the flavours....this is the problem, sometimes there is a mix of of dozens of chemicals to make a specific flavour. If one of those chemicals is Diacetyl then we have a ticking time bomb, it is known to cause Incurable lung disease when inhaled, the most known case is a man who successfully sued a popcorn company after getting the disease after eating two bags if popcorn a day....,the vapours in the bag was enough to give him the disease........would I vape it....? not a chance.....and this chemical is the one used in lots sweet fruit and custard flavours.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...and this chemical is the one used in lots sweet fruit and custard flavours.....

Ffs, please find that interview, it's not diacetyl.
    Not gonna be near my laptop so can't be arsed traipsing the net with my phone.

The Capella flavourings that they call "safe to vape" are also free of diacetyl but may contain traces of acetoin which gets turned into diacetyl with heat so we need to find out how small those traces are.
    From what I can remember Farsalinos said he didn't think it was specific to any particular flavour, which makes me think it's a bad source of nic, PG or VG. Maybe it's alcohol being used as a thinner?
    All conjecture until he tells us.
    Even with those cytotoxic results he said those liquids are still hundreds of times safer than cigs (as opposed to the average guesstimate of 1000+ times safer), but that if we want to maintain any kind of regulatory independence we have to minimise as much danger as is possible.

Sorry the derailment was my fault, let's get back on topic, here's the link dePatrick.

http://www.vapourtrails.tv/?p=7934

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

possibly what caused HOL NETs to fail Cytoxology tests as well....

Please provide a link proving that these liquids contain diacetyl within the next 24 hours or withdraw the claim. Or if you would rather leave it to me I'll delete your post and send you on another 2 week holiday. I have better things to be doing than watching out for your scare mongering and veiled attacks at vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Dramatik wrote: »
    I almost forgot, random people coming up to you and asking you for a go of your vaporizer, I don't want half the smoking area's spit in my vaporizer. I usually just tell them that I've got the flu ;)

AH, this one! Had it happen me only other night. A bunch of girls in the smoking area took interest, and all had to have a go. Lippy, voddy, mucus ... think I'll bring a wee bag of rubbers next time ... for the tip of course :D

mewso wrote: »
    Please provide a link proving that these liquids contain diacetyl within the next 24 hours or withdraw the claim. Or if you would rather leave it to me I'll delete your post and send you on another 2 week holiday. I have better things to be doing than watching out for your scare mongering and veiled attacks at vendors.
    I never claimed that HOL liquids that failed the Cytoxology test here done by Dr. Farsalinos contained Diaectyl, I merely mused the possibility that it had to be something else added as in a flavour, Possibly Diactyl or a number of other flavourings that are proving harmful to inhale.

The possibility of several chemicals in liquids harming us when we vape them is becoming increasingly more probable as more testing is completed. We as Vaoers should be aware of the risks incurred in vaping and any attempt to stifle debate on the negative aspects of vaping is morally wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I never claimed that HOL liquids that failed the Cytoxology test here done by Dr. Farsalinos contained Diaectyl, I merely mused the possibility that it had to be something else added as in a flavour, Possibly Diactyl or a number of other flavourings that are proving harmful to inhale.

The possibility of several chemicals in liquids harming us when we vape them is becoming increasingly more probable as more testing is completed. We as Vaoers should be aware of the risks incurred in vaping and any attempt to stifle debate on the negative aspects of vaping is morally wrong.

Yes we should be aware of the facts not aware of theories. I'm going to have to edit your post. It is simply not possible to allow wild speculation of the sort you seem to enjoy engaging in. Stick to facts. I welcome them no matter what they say. If you insist on grinding this axe over and over again I'm going to have to ban you.

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    Yes we should be aware of the facts not aware of theories. I'm going to have to edit your post. It is simply not possible to allow wild speculation of the sort you seem to enjoy engaging in. Stick to facts. I welcome them no matter what they say. If you insist on grinding this axe over and over again I'm going to have to ban you.
    Fair enough I will not speculate on what is causing liquids to fail tests and will only post scientific evidence with links as I have done with my previous post which links to a scientific study.

There are a lot more studies being done as we speak and all of this info should be posted on here so people can make informed choices.

Advertisement