Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life noob, which version to start with?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

Despite being mostly a PC gamer for a few years and owning all the Half Life games, I've somehow never really gotten through them. I want to remedy that this year though so I can finally be annoyed about Half Life 3 not coming out like everybody else.

In the past I have dabbled with the series. I played a bit of Half Life 2 a few years ago when I got the Orange Box although I got stuck early on (lost in a level that has you driving around the desert) and for whatever reason, just gave up. I also bought Half Life 1 in my first Steam Sale and played it to maybe about half way before again, giving up for some reason.

So now a slightly older me is planning on going through it for real in the right order this time, but there are 3 versions of HL1 now and I don't know which one to start with. As I mentioned I got about half way through on the original 1998 version but my save file is gone so I'd be starting again anyway. So the 3 versions are:

Half Life (1998)
    Half Life Source
    Black Mesa

Now I have to be honest, as someone who really only started gaming on a Gamecube and who has adjusted to pretty PC graphics, playing HL1 with it's blocky graphics and crappy sound was a bit of a slog and I can't say I was enjoying it massively. I still want to finish it so I can go on to HL2 though. I was planning on playing Black Mesa instead since it's completely redesigned and modern but then I heard it's not really finished yet and they still have some later stages left to add in, is this true? I do want to get on to HL2 this summer so if waiting for the devs to finish BM is necessary to go that route then I don't want to waste my time with only part of the game.

That would kind of make me want to play Source instead since it's somewhere in between but is this much of an improvement aesthetically? Is it worth spending a few Euro on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Black Mesa is incomplete in regards the story, you're best playing the Half Life Source version if you can and then maybe give Black Mesa a go afterwards.

Generally Source is not a HUGE improvement over the original 1998 but definitely sharper textures, some new models etc. But if you want the full canon story then you need to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Cravez wrote: »
    Black Mesa is incomplete in regards the story, you're best playing the Half Life Source version if you can and then maybe give Black Mesa a go afterwards.

Generally Source is not a HUGE improvement over the original 1998 but definitely sharper textures, some new models etc. But if you want the full canon story then you need to play it.

Alright, reckon I'll do that while I'm still in Canada so I can pay the much cheaper Canadian price. Is the BM story not canon then? Did they change the story in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Black Mesa is as long as the original game in length but they haven't done the part where
    he goes to Xen
    which most people aren't a fan of so I would play Black Mesa with it's shiny graphics and read up on what happens at the end of HL1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Aye, you're really not missing out on much by skipping Xen, unless you really, really want to deal with awkward platforming that really didn't gel with the rest of the game.

I'd stick with Black Mesa, it has pretty much all you need. Just imagine the bad platforming, a giant scrotum on insect legs, and you can just watch the ending on Youtube.

Does the Xen part affect the story in any way? If there's some big reveal or confrontation I wouldn't want to miss out on it, I wasn't really playing for the gameplay anyway to be honest.

• Advertisement

Not really. Most of the plot is resolved before you travel to Xen. The only exception is the end cutscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Am I the only one that didn't think Xen was that bad?
    Played it before I got broadband and didn't understand all the hate it got on forums when I finally got online!

The gameplay and mechanics in Half-Life 1 make it one of the best PC games ever and I think it stands up quite well graphically compared to other games out around the same time.
    Replayed it recently along with Opposing Force and Blue Shift and really enjoyed it.

If I was just starting now I'd go Half-Life: Source and then Opposing Force and Blue Shift if you really wanted to but they're really not necessary.

Oh Xen's not bad exactly. It's just not great. It's awful compared to the rest of the game's quality shooting/puzzling/more shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

half life: source
    half life: blue shift
    half life: opposing force
    half life 2
    HL2: ep.1
    HL2: ep.2

in that order

im jealous of you, to go back and experience the games and story again for the first time

*awaits HL is overrated brigade*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

half life: source
    half life: blue shift
    half life: opposing force
    half life 2
    HL2: ep.1
    HL2: ep.2

in that order

im jealous of you, to go back and experience the games and story again for the first time

*awaits HL is overrated brigade*

What this guy said.
    I played them on PC, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast and 360, and love them all.
    You might want to stick Portal and Portal 2 on the list as well, seeing as they form a separate game entirely but with a narrative that runs in parallel with lots of derogatory opinions of the losers at Black Mesa from the intrepid Aperture Science boys and girls. For Science!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you do play Black Mesa, make sure to watch the ending on Youtube. Might be a little lost if you jump into HL2 after that :P

As above though, i'd absolutely love to be able to experience them for the first time again. Half Life 2 for me was probably an unmatched experience for me. I was constantly blown away by it, and it remains one of my favourite games to this day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dunno
    hl2 was pretty stunning for the world it created at the time but every time I try replay it I get so bored so fast

it's just not that... good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

HL1 source no other place to start, you have to finish it. Black Mesa is awesome its just a shame they haven't released the second part yet

Play Half Life Source with the model upgrade, think it's a free downloadable mod.

*Edit*
    Below is the guide;
    http://hls.gamebanana.com/skins/15204

Then Play Opposing Force (Love It)

Play Black Mesa after but you really need to experience the Original first to apprieciate it.

Epic Trailer for OF;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I found source harder than the original. A lot more recoil on the MP5.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/13750-13-source-harder-original

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Play Half Life Source with the model upgrade, think it's a free downloadable mod.
    Then Play Opposing Force (Love It)

Play Black Mesa after but you really need to experience the Original first to appropriate it.

Epic Trailer for OF;

That trailer makes me want to play opposing force again!

gouche wrote: »
    That trailer makes me want to play opposing force again!
    See here for the remake ala Black Mesa

http://tripminestudios.com/forum/portal.php

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What this guy said.
    I played them on PC, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast and 360, and love them all.
    You might want to stick Portal and Portal 2 on the list as well, seeing as they form a separate game entirely but with a narrative that runs in parallel with lots of derogatory opinions of the losers at Black Mesa from the intrepid Aperture Science boys and girls. For Science!

I've already finished both Portals though (I finished the first one twice) so I'm grand. It was looking up Portal earlier today that made me want to play HL.

It sounds like there's no firm agreement but I think I'll go with the Source version anyway so I can get the full story. I don't have Blue Shift or Opposing Force, guess I'll keep an eye out for future sales, are either of them long?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,291 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They're not as loan as HL but they both have some good bits. Especially in Blue Shift where you intersect the main storyline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you found the original boring before, then maybe play it with a friend using Sven Co-op. Takes a little work to get it going (the person serving needs to forward ports on the router so have it ready before you sit down for a game), but having a companion can take the edge off the slower parts. TBH, I hardly see the point in HL:S.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    If you found the original boring before, then maybe play it with a friend using Sven Co-op. Takes a little work to get it going (the person serving needs to forward ports on the router so have it ready before you sit down for a game), but having a companion can take the edge off the slower parts. TBH, I hardly see the point in HL:S.

This will end up having the opposite effect, having a coop partner run through this defeats the purpose of the first play through for a game of this caliber. I would love to be able to forget it all and play through it all again. Use a headset when you play it.
    Sven-Coop can be enjoyed after.
    C14N wrote: »
    I've already finished both Portals though (I finished the first one twice) so I'm grand. It was looking up Portal earlier today that made me want to play HL.

It sounds like there's no firm agreement but I think I'll go with the Source version anyway so I can get the full story. I don't have Blue Shift or Opposing Force, guess I'll keep an eye out for future sales, are either of them long?

Just buy the Half-Life 1 Anthology if you want the vanilla experience its only 15 euro for Half Life 1, Opposing Force & Blue Shift & use this guide;

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445333

• Registered Users Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Tried playing HL2 during the week but the loading scenes just annoyed the hell outta me so I uninstalled it..
    I remember the day it came out having to lug my pc from Limerick to my parents house 15 miles away and having to activate the bloody thing over a 56k modem and then having the brother drive me all the way back into Limerick to play it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same here. I had a massive patch to download over 56k before I could even play it. My first experience of Steam was not a positive one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,607 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mr E wrote: »
    Same here. I had a massive patch to download over 56k before I could even play it. My first experience of Steam was not a positive one. :)

The patch to play HLDM on the Valve servers back in the day was 85Mb at one point. If I remember correctly, it took about 7 hours to download. :eek:

And I remember doing that before things like DAP. There were a couple of occasions when the download either got interrupted (dial up being knocked off) or the end file was corrupt for some reason :(

Would love to have gotten a hold of the Dreamcast Version of HL, it's seems to be mega rare from looking at Ebay, can't see one copy.

Master of the Universe

That's because it was never released :D. It was cancelled before it hit the production lines.

It was leaked online though so If you see any copies on ebay they're fakes.

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's because it was never released :D. It was cancelled before it hit the production lines.

It was leaked online though so If you see any copies on ebay they're fakes.

Just copped that now thanks. My Ps2 version will have to suffice for couch play :P.
    It looks like the dreamcast could essentially read cdrs

Master of the Universe

Yeah if anyone fanciest giving the DC version a go it's just a matter of sticking it on a disc and popping it into the console.

The PS2 multiplayer version is a bit mad. It runs pretty well split screen but the maps are downsized and sections are just walled off/left out.

If you're very familiar with the PC maps (Especially Stalkyard) then it's very unsettling to suddenly run into a wall where you expected a corridor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Loved HL back in the day. Played it through again when HL2 was released (didn't have my own PC) and it felt very dated, even back then.

Didn't play HL2 until about 2007 and although it was fun, it seemed slightly dated as I had been hooked on FarCry and Crysis around then. Finished it, started Ep1 and thought "meh".

Late last year, I bought Orange Box as I wanted to play through Portal and decided to go through HL2, ep1 and ep2. Ep1 and ep2 really are fantastic playthroughs. They play like what HL2 should have been. HL2 seems to have put too much emphasis on showing off the source engine and what it can do, but the expansions really made an awesome game.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah if anyone fanciest giving the DC version a go it's just a matter of sticking it on a disc and popping it into the console.

The PS2 multiplayer version is a bit mad. It runs pretty well split screen but the maps are downsized and sections are just walled off/left out.

If you're very familiar with the PC maps (Especially Stalkyard) then it's very unsettling to suddenly run into a wall where you expected a corridor :D

I found that the single player is essentially a stripped down version also, I remember playing the 'On A Rail' Section and getting slightly confused.

Advertisement