Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC gamers, what sort of controller do you use?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I have a 360 joypad but with the wireless receiver I still can't get it to work. So I USB plug in my PS3 joypad and run "motioninjoy" and it emulates the 360 setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Still using an MX518 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wireless 360 controller with a dongle I got from eBay. I did try the Dualshock 3, but the drivers were a bit dodgy and I prefer the 360 controller anyway.

I hear the Dualshock 4 is the one to go for this generation, but unless my 360 controller breaks, I won't go out of my way to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Wired XBox controller. I don't see much of a point in Wireless and having to worry about batteries etc when I'm playing at a PC at a desk. Also a useful back-up for the XBox in case there are no batteries and the kids ignored the low battery warnings.

Keyboard/Mouse: Steelseries 7G & Roccat Kone Pure

Joystick: Speedlink Black Widow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I used to use a 360 pad as my controller, but i don't have that anymore. It was a fantastic pad though. Currently using the PS3 pad, though only rarely. Not playing many games that benefit from that control scheme at the moment. I got the G700 and a decenty Corsair keyboard recently, and am loving them. Far better for most of the games that i play.

Is there really people who use a kb/m for games like Assassins Creed? And do they honestly thing it's better? Cause if so, they're utterly mental.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there really people who use a kb/m for games like Assassins Creed? And do they honestly thing it's better? Cause if so, they're utterly mental.

There are certainly games that don't translate well to keyboard and mouse. There are others that are I think preferable with a controller but which can be played with mouse and keyboard reasonably well.

Edit: I mean a game like Spelunky, it's playable with mouse and keyboard but I'd prefer a controller for it. Similarly with Super Meat Boy. Other games though are pretty much unplayable with mouse and keyboard due to non-rebindable keys and other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

For certain platformers and racing games I use a wired 360 controller because I already had one and there was no extra software/setup required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

keyboard and mouse for first person shooters.
    wheel for racing games.
    360 pad for arcade games.
    and flightstick for flying games.
    and whip and chains for sex games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sarky wrote: »
    I got my G602 from taking part in a Logitech study looking into mouse ergonomics, so I'm fairly sure they're working on it.

Shame there's seldom an opportunity to try the expensive mice and keyboards before buying them.

How is someone supposed to find out what coloured switches they'd prefer in a mechanical keyboard? You gotta get hands on time with that hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Skatedude wrote: »
    ... and whip and chains for sex games.

I have to settle for my joystick. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Fnz wrote: »
    Shame there's seldom an opportunity to try the expensive mice and keyboards before buying them.

How is someone supposed to find out what coloured switches they'd prefer in a mechanical keyboard? You gotta get hands on time with that hardware.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit.html might be of interest, but I agree that it's much, much better to get a hands on with something you're gonna drop anywhere between €70 and €100 on and then spend 14 hours a day using (my keyboard comes in and out of work with me too).

I had a go of a friend's Ducky with Browns and I really liked the feel. Had tried Blues and Reds that some other friends and colleagues had in their DAS' Another lad who works with me has picked up the same as mine except with Black switches and it feels quite nice, but doesn't have the very slight bump of the Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I play Assassin's Creed Black Flag on keyboard and mouse, honestly much better than when I played it with the PS4 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still have my original Xbox 360 wireless connector. That thing is worth it's weight in gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Xbox 360 controller here too for a few select games. If Star Citizen lives up to the hype, may invest in a nice HOTAS as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Over here in Korea, all the kids play FIFA with a keyboard and mouse ! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

nesf wrote: »
    Wired XBox controller. I don't see much of a point in Wireless and having to worry about batteries etc when I'm playing at a PC at a desk. Also a useful back-up for the XBox in case there are no batteries and the kids ignored the low battery warnings.

I can give you a good reason why, everytime I stop playing Fifa and jump into BF4 I quickly unclip the battery pack off the back and the controller is off, Im fairly sure with the wired version you have to unplug the thing which would be just that little bit more pathetic an idea than having to remove the battery pack.

Such a poor thing for such a great controller.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why would you be unplugging it? BF4 will ignore it if you just leave it alone and only use your M&K input (mine's always plugged in, the only thing that defaulted to it all the time was that POS Ghosts).

I made a fatal mistake in opening WASD Keyboards' site earlier, I may have silly custom key-caps to buy!

Shiminay wrote: »
    Why would you be unplugging it? BF4 will ignore it if you just leave it alone and only use your M&K input (mine's always plugged in, the only thing that defaulted to it all the time was that POS Ghosts).

I made a fatal mistake in opening WASD Keyboards' site earlier, I may have silly custom key-caps to buy!

I dont have a wired one, but I would assume it works the same way. If you have it on, such as when playing Fifa, then exit that and go straight into Battlefield, I can use my keyboard and mouse, but it starts jumping all over the desk when it vibrates and is really loud and annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Over here in Korea, all the kids play FIFA with a keyboard and mouse ! :eek:

one of the fifas on pc had great mouse/kb controls iirc. using the mouse to weight a pass or take a quick shot was a beautiful feeling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This poll really needs to be multiple choice,

I've:
    2 Windows 360 controllers
    1 Logitech controller that looks similar to dualshock
    1 Gamestop controller that looks like a cross between dualshock and gamecube
    Then the good ole keyboard and mouse.

have considered getting steering wheel and pedals for race sims, but the ones in my price range are all cack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Corsair vengance K60 and chape revoltec mouse mostly but Xbox 360 controllers for me for a few games such as super meat boy, hotline miami, Bastion, Dust an elysian tale and the biggest two you absolutely need a controller for PES and FIFA. Got tomb raider with my graphics card when building my PC and hated playing it with mouse and keyboard at first but I persevered and loved the M&K control system in the end.

I can give you a good reason why, everytime I stop playing Fifa and jump into BF4 I quickly unclip the battery pack off the back and the controller is off, Im fairly sure with the wired version you have to unplug the thing which would be just that little bit more pathetic an idea than having to remove the battery pack.

Eh, I wouldn't consider either much of a burden over the other, then I can reach the front USB ports without stretching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

The best solution is to turn off vibrate in the options on games you don't use the controller for.

The best solution is to turn off vibrate in the options on games you don't use the controller for.

Doh, what an idiot, it never even occurred to me to see if there was a disable vibrate option.

I have had loads of different controllers for my PCs over the years, every one of them has always been a bit hit and miss, with some games, especially early games, not configuring properly, or having shocking analog stick functionality. Ever since the 360 controller came out, pretty much every game released supports it perfectly.

Advertisement