Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC gamers, what sort of controller do you use?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was wondering if the pc gamers among you might take a moment to share what sort of controller you use?

I'm guess many use xbox/imitation, playstation/imitation controllers. Let me know if there are any other popular ones, and I'll add them to the poll. Thanks!

What sort of controller do you use with your PC? 67 votes

XBox/Imitation Xbox
    0% 0 votes
    Playstation/Imitation Playstation
    100% 67 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I use this one, it was cheaper than an MS equivalent :)

Mostly I use a Logitech G700 Mouse and a CM Storm Quickfire TK Mechanical Keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Glebee

Keyboard and mouse only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aside from the obvious superior kb/mouse combo

i occasionally use an xbox 360 joypad, when I feel like slumming it as a dirty console peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I use a DS4 (I don't own a Playstation 4). Bought it in the US for $60, which isn't cheap, but the experience has been great. Since I downloaded the latest version of DS4Tool, it's been flawless in fact. I connect, over bluetooth, by pressing the PS button. Buttons are mapped perfectly. The touchpad works like a laptop trackpad to boot. I couldn't ask for more.

Only difference is games give button prompts for a 360 controller, but I know both pretty well at this point.

Would recommend to anyone. The controller really is the business... and this is coming from someone who thought the 360 controller couldn't be topped.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Hmmm, really should have added an option for other... don't seem to be able to change it now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I use a PS3 controller because I own a PS3. I'd have no problem using a 360 controller if I had a wired one though (I would miss the wireless however).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Primarily Keyboard & mouse - Wouldn't have it any other way.

However I do use an Xbox controller for the likes of Grid 2 - Way more easier to steer than A + D..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

7 years old Dell Keyboard, which value is less then 5eu + Deathadder 3.5G

Xbox 360 wired controller

G27 steering wheel/pedal/Hshifter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never understand the 'mouse and keyboard only' attitude - there are as many types of games that are very unsuited to them as there are that are perfectly suited. If anything, there seems to be an ever increasing amount of developers recommending gamepads as the optimum choice (obviously outside of stuff like FPS or RTS games).

Anyway, I mostly use PS3 controllers, as they're natively supported by Mac while 360 ones can be a pain to get up and running. I occasionally use my 360 fight stick for shmups and the like, but it involves fidgeting with custom drivers so it's often easier just to stick with a DS3. I haven't tried a Dualshock 4 yet, actually, so will have to do so. I've found most recent releases don't require third party keymappers and recognise DS3 as standard, which really makes it a far more attractive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Mouse & Keyboard, great for strategy games and shooters but a pain in the arse for Assassins Creed!

Have a joystick for flight games/ X-Wing series!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kilgore_Trout, I wouldn't mind not including M&K in the poll... it goes without saying that everyone on PC uses it for something or perhaps exclusively. Nobody's playing Civ V with a 360 controller ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Random Dell keyboard and Razer Deathadder mouse.

I hook up a Playstation One controller (using some random adapter I got from dx.com) for Tony Hawks skaterboarding, though. I also have an x52, although I only use that for flight sims. Found it great for Commanche, but for the likes of BF4, I find it wasted. May use it for ARMA3, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Wireless Xbox360 controller for sports games like Fifa, Razer Deathadder and Corsair mechanical keyboard for FPS and G27 and DIY cockpit for racing games. I also have a track IR and a Saitek X-52 for flying games.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Kilgore_Trout, I wouldn't mind not including M&K in the poll... it goes without saying that everyone on PC uses it for something or perhaps exclusively. Nobody's playing Civ V with a 360 controller ;)

Yeah, mainly was curious about what controller you use when the traditional mouse and keyboard config isn't optimal. Don't seem to be able to add new options, but we can probably assume that most people use K&M for most games : )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    Keyboard and mouse only.

I usually find that if a game cant be played sucessfully with keyboard and mouse I shy away from it for some reason.. Have a PS3 used a handfull of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I use the xbox controller unless I'm driving then I have a wheel. I'm no good with the controller though. It's like trying to play on valium with fingers missing on any shooter.

There have been many games when I've just had to ditch the controller and go back to the mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Shiminay wrote: »

Mostly I use a Logitech G700 Mouse and a CM Storm Quickfire TK Mechanical Keyboard.

Awesome, another Mechanical Keyboard & G700 Mouse combo user ;)

I use Q-Pad MK80 Mechanical Keyboard with brown switches. Mechanical keyboards are generally more responsive, higher quality than the membrane keyboards. Brown switches require less pressure for response as some of the other switches but not as loud so it's the best of both worlds between red or blue switches.

I had a Roccat gaming mouse but recently purchases a Logitech G700S wireless mouse. It's one of the best responsive wireless mouses on the market and can be used as a wired mouse also

When I need to use a controller (primarily for Dark Souls) I just use an Xbox 360 wireless controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I never understand the 'mouse and keyboard only' attitude - there are as many types of games that are very unsuited to them as there are that are perfectly suited. If anything, there seems to be an ever increasing amount of developers recommending gamepads as the optimum choice (obviously outside of stuff like FPS or RTS games).
    Probably because either those people don't play games which really require analog input or don't know what it is. Either way, logic isn't generally the cornerstone of an elitist's argument. :)

As for me, Filco / Deathadder combo with a Wireless 360 controller when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Razer NAGA lefty edition mouse
    Logitech G510 keyboard
    2 Saitek HOTAS joysticks
    1 Saitek Yoke/pedals

Have a usb dongle for my xbox controller but don't ever really use it...feels sorta... peasantish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Xbox controller when playing single player in front of the TV

Keyboard/mouse when playing multiplayer in front of monitor ...

takes only 3 mins to unplug cables and plug into the living room TV setup downstairs, but the pleasure of playing 1080p on a 55" while laying back on a couch is immeasurable ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Keyboard and Mouse and an old Sidewinder Precision 2 for driving games/flight sims - probably should upgrade it really but I've no idea what a decent joystick is these days without costing the earth.

I never feel comfortable with joypads as I'm primarily left-handed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cravez wrote: »
    Awesome, another Mechanical Keyboard & G700 Mouse combo user ;)

I use Q-Pad MK80 Mechanical Keyboard with brown switches. Mechanical keyboards are generally more responsive, higher quality than the membrane keyboards. Brown switches require less pressure for response as some of the other switches but not as loud so it's the best of both worlds between red or blue switches.

I had a Roccat gaming mouse but recently purchases a Logitech G700S wireless mouse. It's one of the best responsive wireless mouses on the market and can be used as a wired mouse also

When I need to use a controller (primarily for Dark Souls) I just use an Xbox 360 wireless controller.

HI-5! I almost bought the QPad M-80 or 85 (I have brown switches too), but saw the CM Storm on Scan and liked the 3/4 length style of it (the numpad is also the INS/DEL/HOME/END/Arrows when numlock is off).

Best thing about the G700 is the 4 thumb buttons - I've be spoiled by it so if/when I replace it, I'll have to find something with a lotta thumb action :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Keyboard and Mouse like every other PC gamer here and in the world, except certain 'console' ports, in that case I use a 360 Wired controller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Shiminay wrote: »

I got the green version. Does the job nicely at a fraction of the price. I rarely use it, mostly for Batman and the occasional platformer. Mouse and keyboard just works so much better for shooters.

Got me a G602, and I freaking love it. A mechanical keyboard is next on my list of upgrades, my current keyboard has now served 3 PCs over about 7 years, probably time I put it out to pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A Gamestop Xbox360 controller, I picked 2 of them up for €30 yonks ago. One sort of fell apart on it's own so I have to get around to fixing it.

I use the controller for pretty much everything bar FPS and some select games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

haha I tried for the lolz...

Needless to say, Epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Nemeses wrote: »
    haha I tried for the lolz...

Needless to say, Epic fail.

For moving troops around, I could see the advantages, but for everything else...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Novint Falcon.

Serious answer: I use a PS4 gamepad for non-m&k games. Got one at Xmas, just for a change as I had been using a wired (and, before that, wireless) 360 gamepad. Either one is fine and they're about a good as each other - though the 360 d-pad is, of course, awful.

The 360 (Street Fighter) Fightpad gets little use, though it is compatible with PC.

Waiting for somebody to release a multi-button mouse with a more sensible/ergonomic side-button layout than the Razer Naga/Naga Hex or Logittech G600/G602.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mrcheez wrote: »
    Xbox controller when playing single player in front of the TV

Keyboard/mouse when playing multiplayer in front of monitor ...

takes only 3 mins to unplug cables and plug into the living room TV setup downstairs, but the pleasure of playing 1080p on a 55" while laying back on a couch is immeasurable ;)

Exact same as that. I like to play single player on my 46" sometimes and even though I obviously prefer M+K, it's not practical for those times, so I use a 360 controller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Fnz wrote: »
    Waiting for somebody to release a multi-button mouse with a more sensible/ergonomic side-button layout than the Razer Naga/Naga Hex or Logittech G600/G602.

I got my G602 from taking part in a Logitech study looking into mouse ergonomics, so I'm fairly sure they're working on it.

Advertisement