Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a carbon frame from China - anti dumping duty?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

omri wrote: »
    You can always buy turas frame - its from one of the chinese frame builders, they will even let you design your own paint work, if it developes a fault at least youll have irish company to chase for warranty etc and not some ebay guy.

It will cost €1.2k or so - but hey support the local business.
    omri wrote: »
    If youre willing to support the local business and have few quid to spare then why not. Sadly my bossman does not share the same view re my wage hence I buy where the best price is..plus I dont fancy turas frames anyway.

Turas frames are actually hand made in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Writing to revenue seems like a good idea...though I wrote to them before about a commercial stamp duty issue. They advised a 3% rate, then I was audited and told the rate was 9% and had to pay interest and penalties. I was not happy about it. Appealed and lost. They said they don't give good tax advice and anything they say is not binding on them if they get it wrong. What a wonderful world they live in!
    that is not right, your told one rate & then charged 3 times the rate. When the revolution comes i know who will be up against the wall after politicians(some not all)bankers, rogue builders and bad drivers!
    seriously fubar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

lennymc wrote: »
    The powers that be kindly agreed to unlock this thread, so please keep it on topic, and if there are any tax evasion, bulk buys or anything else OT please post it somewhere else, as this anti dumping tax information could be useful to lots of people.

Anyway, OP - did you ever order the frame, and if so did you get hit for the tax? Did anyone else order a frame?

Thanks,

Thanks to who ever was behind unlocking this thread. I did not understand the justifications given for locking it in the first place.

Anyway, back on topic. I have not ordered yet. Still toying with the idea and researching frames/sellers etc. I would say it's more likely I will order something in the next month or so.

Would still be nice to have an official word on this but Revenue are so inconsistent it makes anything they say totally unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

Thanks to who ever was behind unlocking this thread. I did not understand the justifications given for locking it in the first place.

Anyway, back on topic. I have not ordered yet. Still toying with the idea and researching frames/sellers etc. I would say it's more likely I will order something in the next month or so.

Would still be nice to have an official word on this but Revenue are so inconsistent it makes anything they say totally unreliable.

Hi Kaisr Sose check out www. dutycalculator. com

You need to expect to pay the duty, I've heard Customs are cracking down on bikes coming in with very few getting through!

I ordered a Carbon frame last September and the cost was just over $600 inc delivery
    After about 28 days I got notification from Customs the bike frame had been stopped and they wanted proof of purchase to calculate the duty,

The seller had marked the the package as "Bike Parts" and included an invoice of $64
    I did not ask him to do this and I sent Customs the original Invoice
    The import duty is calculated @ 4.5% + VAT @23%
    I paid An Post €123 when the delivered the bike a few days later

I disclosed the correct value as it was the right thing to do ;) and I was afraid I'd have the bike confiscated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Good info SOR2010, however, I dont think the link you supplied takes into account the anti dumping duty which may or may not be applicable. No one seems to know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I rang customs here and got two versions. One that as an importer of less than 300 parts per month, the duty did not apply, and the other that the 300 unit exemption only applies if the importer has an end user agreement, which only applies to manufacturers.

According to this, you have to apply for the exemption.

Given that application of customs duties is never 100% consistent, it could go through and not be levied. But given the above info, I'd budget for anti-dumping to be charged and regard it as a bonus if it isn't.
    I did not understand the justifications given for locking it in the first place.

If you've a problem with a moderating decision, please don't raise it on thread since this is against the charter. PM the mods instead. Thanks

OP did you make any decisions?

I'm thinking of ordering some Carbon Wheels from China so wondering do I need to allow for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

SOR2010 wrote: »
    OP did you make any decisions?

I'm thinking of ordering some Carbon Wheels from China so wondering do I need to allow for this?

Yes you do.. I got 3 separate orders, 2 did not get stopped. One did (the one that did was earlier this spring, 3 wheels, total value of about 600 euro delivered, total charges was about 180) - so maybe you get lucky, but make sure your budget can absorb you not getting lucky.

I dont think the anti dumping duty applies to bicycle wheels, but don't hold me to that. I was charged VAT and duty on a set of wheels last year -so allow for it in your calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Do An Post or what ever delivery agent look for your credit card invoice cost still or do they work off the cost on the customs docket?

• Advertisement

NBar wrote: »
    Do An Post or what ever delivery agent look for your credit card invoice cost still or do they work off the cost on the customs docket?

they looked for a receipt from me. Paypal invoice was acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Has anyone bought in a frame lately?Looking at a Velobuild/Hongfu jobbie.More importantly has anyone been hit for the anti-dumping charge.Bought a frame from Pedal Force a few years ago and was hit for customs charge.That I can handle-the anti dumping thing is putting me off...

Haven't bought a frame but I did get a set of Carbon Wheels last month,
    Wheels cost €340
    Duty was €104
    I checked dutycalculator.com and they said the charge would be €99 so i think it all depends on the conversion rate on the day, the website only allows you do a certain number of calculations free so go easy on it but it will give you an idea,

Our local postman advised that they are stopping nearly all packages from China labeled Bike Parts so expect to pay the duty but there was no breakdown on so can't confirm on the Anti Dump Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

An post etc also charge an Admin cost as well so it's more money for them when checking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

SOR2010 wrote: »
    Haven't bought a frame but I did get a set of Carbon Wheels last month,
    Wheels cost €340
    Duty was €104
    I checked dutycalculator.com and they said the charge would be €99 so i think it all depends on the conversion rate on the day, the website only allows you do a certain number of calculations free so go easy on it but it will give you an idea,

Our local postman advised that they are stopping nearly all packages from China labeled Bike Parts so expect to pay the duty but there was no breakdown on so can't confirm on the Anti Dump Tax

duty charged @ 30%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 meestaasher

ive had three from china to the uk, paid no duty on first 2 but 45 quid on this 3rd, however I sent it via uk and had it brought into spain from there as the Spanish are indeed very hot on the anti-dumping tax, which is 45% AFTER they have added on their VAT etc to a value THEY are free to assign to the frame...

ironically the Spanish actually have a free trade agreement with china giving Chinese citizens special tax rates etc here in spain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

seanin4711 wrote: »
    duty charged @ 30%?

got bars in

233 for bars

74 for duty

NBar wrote: »
    An post etc also charge an Admin cost as well so it's more money for them when checking stuff.

Thats not a fair statement. An Post do not levy duty, Revenue do. An Post are obliged to present goods to Customs from certain 'hot countries' or if the Customs Declaration indicates the goods might be chargeable. If Revenue decide the goods are not chargeable, there is nothing in it for An Post.

ive had three from china to the uk, paid no duty on first 2 but 45 quid on this 3rd, however I sent it via uk and had it brought into spain from there as the Spanish are indeed very hot on the anti-dumping tax, which is 45% AFTER they have added on their VAT etc to a value THEY are free to assign to the frame...

ironically the Spanish actually have a free trade agreement with china giving Chinese citizens special tax rates etc here in spain...

The anti dumping charge is an EU level charge so the Spanish (or any other EU country) have no discretion to waive it.

The tax is applied to stop the alleged dumping of products by Chinese bike manufactures below the cost of production or below market value. There is no evidence to support this theory - its just a protectionist strategy.

Larger companies such as: Rose, Eddy Mercx, Canyon, Planet X, Decathlon....(by no means the full list) applied for and were granted an exemption. They then assemble the bike in the EU with other mainly imported goods, thus creating employment (and generating income taxes) but addling very little value to the process.

If the below cost argument were true, how can a mass import of these same goods for onward sale by exempt parties be allowable, while a private import of one frame for personal use is considered as being liable or likely to distort the EU bike market?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The head of the eu commission, Jean Juncker has been quoted extensively saying "sometimes you have to lie" which sets the level of ethics the eu operate at...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The head of the eu commission, Jean Juncker has been quoted extensively saying "sometimes you have to lie" which sets the level of ethics the eu operate at...

No he's quoted as saying "When it becomes serious, you have to lie".

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

sorry for bumping an oldish one, but has anyone more recent info on the dumping tax? im looking at building a bike for my nephew and buying a chinese frame is the cheapest option but not if the dumping tax is applied.

Advertisement