Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested routes for 2 week cycling journey

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If I may make a polite suggestion regarding route..

On day 17 between Waterford and Castlebridge, I'd completely avoid the R733 after Wellingtonbridge. It's not Baghdad, but it's not a nice road to cycle at all. People drive very fast and it's very narrow.

If you don't want to add much distance, you could go North when you get to Wellingtonbridge and go Taghmon - Forth Mountain - Wexford, but it mightn't be terribly easy to navigate if you don't know the area.

If you don't mind adding a few extra kms, probably the best way would be to go South out of Wellybridge. Very, very nice part of the country to cycle.

I can make routes on google maps for you if you like? I would offer to guide you but I'll be too busy working all that month to commit!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seanpatrick

That would be awesome! Exactly the kind of input I'm looking for :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That would be awesome! Exactly the kind of input I'm looking for :)

This is probably the way I would go - https://goo.gl/maps/YpcFJ

And if you're feeling even more energetic on the day, you can turn down towards Kilmore quay for a nice seaside spot. Lots of thatched cottages and fish restaurants. No beach, the big beaches start east of that village.

That route will also take you right past Johnstown Castle estate, which is an absolutely stunning little castle, museum, restaurant, etc. Get off and take a walk around the grounds, and watch the peacocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

6. Doolin to Inishmore - spend day 6 riding around the island - spend night six.
    It'll be a short day, but no harm in that.
    7. Inshmore to Lough Corrib and up to Marrey Bikes (to pick up a jersey and anything else I need) then back to Lough Corrib to spend night at Lakeshore House BnB on the shore's of the lake. Spend night seven.
    That'll be a longer day, but you'll be able to do the bit from the B&B to Ballinrobe and back unloaded and it's a lovely spin. If you remind me in late July I'll suggest a lovely route I did there about 10 days ago.
    9. Clifden to Log an Aifrean BnB (between Westport and Louisburg ) via Kylemore abbey ( I'm worried about the N59 here between clifden and Kylemore) - spend Night nine.
    That road's a bit tight right enough. I'd go east from Clifden along N59, and left up the Inagh Valley on R344.
    10. Log an Aifrean BnB to Enniscrone via the Famine Memorial (crough patrick) and the Mayo Greenway (between Westport and Newport) spend Night 11.
    Newport to Castlebar isn't a great stretch. Think about leaving Newport on R317 (North East) and figure a way across to Pontoon Bridge via the smaller roads in between.

This is probably the way I would go - (Won't let me quote your route as I'm a " new user " after 3 months and 20 odd posts)
    And if you're feeling even more energetic on the day, you can turn down towards Kilmore quay for a nice seaside spot. Lots of thatched cottages and fish restaurants. No beach, the big beaches start east of that village.

That route will also take you right past Johnstown Castle estate, which is an absolutely stunning little castle, museum, restaurant, etc. Get off and take a walk around the grounds, and watch the peacocks!

That's a lovely suggestion, and I've updated my route accordingly. By my calculations that brings (with Kilmore Quay) the days total to 83 km, which is quite doable! Thank you :)

• Advertisement

It'll be a short day, but no harm in that.

Yeah I figured I'd enjoy having all day to explore the island without being rushed:)
    That'll be a longer day, but you'll be able to do the bit from the B&B to Ballinrobe and back unloaded and it's a lovely spin. If you remind me in late July I'll suggest a lovely route I did there about 10 days ago.

That would be great - thanks. It looks like a great area - and the tourist in me is extra psyched to get a Marey's branded cycle Jersey. They've got a cool one green one on sale right now with Ireland on the front and Marey's Cycle on the back I'm going to have them put aside. Looking forward to that BnB as well. It's one of the few official BnB's I'm staying at and looks great (though I know the hospitality at the private BnB's will be great too).
    That road's a bit tight right enough. I'd go east from Clifden along N59, and left up the Inagh Valley on R344.

All right, I'll have a look at my map and see what I can do. I don't want to miss Kylemore Abby so it seems I don't have many options.
    Newport to Castlebar isn't a great stretch. Think about leaving Newport on R317 (North East) and figure a way across to Pontoon Bridge via the smaller roads in between.

It's dangerous or just boring? In any case I changed it to (insert HTTPS: here) //maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201608751302506903035.0004fd2f3f090176067e3&msa=0&ll=53.981531,-9.301987&spn=0.276185,0.793076

I'm not sure where Pontoon Bridge is, as for some reason it seems once I've saved my map it won't let me search directions for it without starting over ( though I can do that ) but did drag the line in the new map above to change the route. Is that more what you had in mind?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

I'm not sure where Pontoon Bridge is, as for some reason it seems once I've saved my map it won't let me search directions for it without starting over ( though I can do that ) but did drag the line in the new map above to change the route. Is that more what you had in mind?

Pontoon Bridge is at the North West corner of Lough Cullin (where the 3 roads meet) I didn't see the route before but can't see a problem with it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I visit Achill twice a year and Connemara about ten times a year, cycle when I can. Best days cycling I had in my life was a loop through the Maam valley, and back through the Inagh valley, popping in to villages like Cleggan, Letterfrack and Tullycross on the way.

You absolutely MUST cycle the Inagh valley, its beautiful, from recollection Kylemore is at one end of it anyway?

In fact the main problem with Connemara is that the Maam valley is also stunning, would take both these in if you can (but may not be possible given you're not doing a loop here). Inagh would be my preference if I had to choose it.

I'd welcome opinions from other Galway cyclists but the N59 from Maam Cross to Clifden is a pretty unpleasant cycle. Very busy road with a decent amount of buses and cars. Also Clifden is a pleasant town but the scenery immediately around it isn't actually that nice imo. Plus its very touristed, and a lot of people from Dublin have holiday homes there which tends to alter the character of a place. Would be missable imo.

I would suggest spin up from Rossaveal to Maam Cross, go along the N59 then turn in to the Inagh valley. Then on to Letterfrack or Cleggan, back through Killary Harbour into Leenane. There is a lot of accommodation in Letterfrack including hostels, and some hostels on the road into Killary Harbour.

Btw that photo is of the North side of Killary harbour. It leads up to Mwellrea and on to Westport. Its one of the most severe (and stunning) landscapes in Ireland. It gets fairly little traffic as the main route to Westport is much quicker, so I wouldn't be worried on it as even cars passing each other take it handy enough. By way of example, I was in Westport asking was it quicker to go back that road or the other one and the waitress became quite concerned that I might even think of driving that road "without knowing it". You'll be safe on it. You may even wish you were on a mountain bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Sean I could be counting wrong but are you heading for Clonbur BandB on a Sunday.

a148pro wrote: »
    I visit Achill twice a year and Connemara about ten times a year, cycle when I can. Best days cycling I had in my life was a loop through the Maam valley, and back through the Inagh valley, popping in to villages like Cleggan, Letterfrack and Tullycross on the way.

You absolutely MUST cycle the Inagh valley, its beautiful, from recollection Kylemore is at one end of it anyway?

In fact the main problem with Connemara is that the Maam valley is also stunning, would take both these in if you can (but may not be possible given you're not doing a loop here). Inagh would be my preference if I had to choose it.

I'd welcome opinions from other Galway cyclists but the N59 from Maam Cross to Clifden is a pretty unpleasant cycle. Very busy road with a decent amount of buses and cars. Also Clifden is a pleasant town but the scenery immediately around it isn't actually that nice imo. Plus its very touristed, and a lot of people from Dublin have holiday homes there which tends to alter the character of a place. Would be missable imo.

I would suggest spin up from Rossaveal to Maam Cross, go along the N59 then turn in to the Inagh valley. Then on to Letterfrack or Cleggan, back through Killary Harbour into Leenane. There is a lot of accommodation in Letterfrack including hostels, and some hostels on the road into Killary Harbour.

Btw that photo is of the North side of Killary harbour. It leads up to Mwellrea and on to Westport. Its one of the most severe (and stunning) landscapes in Ireland. It gets fairly little traffic as the main route to Westport is much quicker, so I wouldn't be worried on it as even cars passing each other take it handy enough. By way of example, I was in Westport asking was it quicker to go back that road or the other one and the waitress became quite concerned that I might even think of driving that road "without knowing it". You'll be safe on it. You may even wish you were on a mountain bike!

Well it sounds great. Although I've already booked all my lodgings, I only reserved in Clifden as it's one of the hostels I was going to stay at, so could easily cancel clifden in favour of a different route - I'll have to take a look at your suggestion more closely when I'm back from work and not surreptitiously answering personal e-mails :)
    I'll let you know my proposed changes to see if they jive with what you're talking about.

Esroh wrote: »
    Sean I could be counting wrong but are you heading for Clonbur BandB on a Sunday.

I'm not staying at Clonbur BandB AFAIK :) - oh, just caught your unedited message.. You mean Lakeshore House BnB by Marrey's Bike shop?.. You might be right that could be on a Sunday. I'll check the dates as soon as I get home, that would be a bummer (the bike shop being closed) though I'm sure there's other decent ones. I could always have the jersey delivered somewhere ahead of time, but I'd miss out on some nice cycling on the way there. Not much to be done though - I'll have a look when I'm home :)

• Advertisement

Esroh wrote: »
    a148pro wrote: »

Well it sounds great. Although I've already booked all my lodgings, I only reserved in Clifden as it's one of the hostels I was going to stay at, so could easily cancel clifden in favour of a different route - I'll have to take a look at your suggestion more closely when I'm back from work and not surreptitiously answering personal e-mails :)
    I'll let you know my proposed changes to see if they jive with what you're talking about.

Ok - Well first off the day I arrive at Lakeshore house BnB (and Marrey's Cycle) will be a Monday, so I'm safe there. I've edited the second portion of the trip (the three part map) to miss Clifden, but take in Innagh valley and stay (potentially) at "Old Monastery Hostel" right by Kylemore Abby. I've looped below N59 as you'll see in the map, it adds an extra 17km but I think it's worth it - and the grand total for the day will only be 83km, still doable. From there I'll head up to Log an Aiffrean BnB and on with my route. What do you think:

(Insert HTTPS: Here)//maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201608751302506903035.0004fd419add721b21a7a&msa=0&ll=53.837943,-9.217529&spn=1.108559,3.172302

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Good move - that is a spectacular section of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you're going to spend some time round Carlow Kilkenny area, I recommend going through Borris, Graiguenamanagh, Inistioge, Thomastown. Beautiful scenery and very different to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

I've edited the second portion of the trip (the three part map) to miss Clifden, but take in Innagh valley and stay (potentially) at "Old Monastery Hostel" right by Kylemore Abby. What do you think:
    Good improvement on the route.

Your choice of accommodation in Letterfrack will be a truly unforgettable experience. "Quirky", "bizzare", "not restful" would be the kindest ways I could describe that place from a few overnights there. The independent review sites would give you food for thought too. My own view: if there was any other bed option in Letterfrack I'd take it. But maybe you're looking for an unforgettable experience, in which case: be his guest :eek:.

Good improvement on the route.

Your choice of accommodation in Letterfrack will be a truly unforgettable experience. "Quirky", "bizzare", "not restful" would be the kindest ways I could describe that place from a few overnights there. The independent review sites would give you food for thought too. My own view: if there was any other bed option in Letterfrack I'd take it. But maybe you're looking for an unforgettable experience, in which case: be his guest :eek:.

what the heck? - umm that doesn't sound so good, no idea what your talking about but my imagination is telling me I'd better not. I've pictures of the old guy from Family Guy who likes Chris in my head for some reason.
    blobbie wrote: »
    Good move - that is a spectacular section of road.

Good, I'll make the change to the route later today (just have to find a place to stay that's not too expensive and doesn't involve whatever the above place involves.)
    fits wrote: »
    If you're going to spend some time round Carlow Kilkenny area, I recommend going through Borris, Graiguenamanagh, Inistioge, Thomastown. Beautiful scenery and very different to the west.

Great tip, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

what the heck? - umm that doesn't sound so good, no idea what your talking about but my imagination is telling me I'd better not. I've pictures of the old guy from Family Guy who likes Chris in my head for some reason.

IMO it would be a big mistake to miss out on the The Old Monastery hostel.. stayed there loads of time, its regularly booked out (which would indicate its popular) . If you like listening to a bit of blues music whilst having hearty healthy breakfast, in a building full of quirks, colours light and ambience then go for it.
    Also you will be at the base of The Diamond mountain , which is a nice easy 1 hour climb and will give you spectacular views.

PM me if you have more questions on that area.

BTW numerous universitys use that hostel during term for field trips and return year in year out for 15+ years .... its grand

There is quite a bit of accommodation in Letterfrack village, which is prob like 5 mins from Kylemore Abbey. I know there's a pub which does nice food and hostel style accommodation. There's also a "luxury budget B and B" near all the pubs in the town. Just thinking you're traveling alone so will prob want to chat to others and experience the Irish pub. Kylemore is a bit out of the town and there's really only the abbey there.

Edit: Mind you the above appears recommended also

Well I've gone ahead and chanced it and booked the Old Monastery Hostel and cancelled my booking in Clifden. I was looking at Letterfrack Lodge (looked very nice) but I talked to the lady on the phone and they were asking 60 Euros. Not out of this world but not in the budget I'm afraid. The only other one I saw got pretty mixed reviews itself. The Old Monastery was only 15 euro for the night - I'll suck up whatever they throw at me and save the 45 euro; besides, the pictures of the surroundings look quite scenic!

The Old Monastery was only 15 euro for the night

Jesus, I'd move there myself!

......I'll suck up whatever they throw at me and save the 45 euro the pictures of the surroundings look quite scenic!
    dont worry you will be grand. (thats an important phrase to keep in mind on a cycle around Irl, it will be grand)

theres some pics here of the area you will be cycling thru
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/walkconnemara?fref=photo
    Ive no affiliation with this group, just think he takes nice photos of Connemara.

btw your schedule doesnt leave you much time for doing somethign off the cuff or on the spur of the moment, I dont think you should plan it down to the last hour or even day, that defeats the purpose. Leave a day empty in there so you can hang about someplace

• Advertisement

dont worry you will be grand. (thats an important phrase to keep in mind on a cycle around Irl, it will be grand)

theres some pics here of the area you will be cycling thru

Ive no affiliation with this group, just think he takes nice photos of Connemara.

btw your schedule doesnt leave you much time for doing somethign off the cuff or on the spur of the moment, I dont think you should plan it down to the last hour or even day, that defeats the purpose. Leave a day empty in there so you can hang about someplace

Thanks for the link - looks beautiful. I'm spending 3 nights in Carlow, so that gives me a little wiggle room (I could cancel a night and use it somewhere else).. beyond that I feel a little better having my places booked in advance - as I've a feeling closer to the date (which is soon enough as is) only the really expensive places will be left. Also, as this is my first cycle adventure, (and vacation in 10 years, and first time out of North America / on a plane since I was 5 y/o) I'm keeping it a little more structured for peace of mind. All going well next time I come back I'll leave structure to rookie's and wing it :)

Hey all! I'm leaving for Ireland on Monday! - I just wanted to see if any of the cyclists here felt like doing a leg with me? - I probably won't be going that fast as I'll be loaded down with stuff- but if anyone feels like a ride let me know, I'd enjoy the company :) - if not that's OK too - thanks everyone for all their help in my planning the trip!

Hey all! I'm leaving for Ireland on Monday! - I just wanted to see if any of the cyclists here felt like doing a leg with me? - I probably won't be going that fast as I'll be loaded down with stuff- but if anyone feels like a ride let me know, I'd enjoy the company :) - if not that's OK too - thanks everyone for all their help in my planning the trip!

Sorry mate, would if I could!

so how did it go... is your man lost or what ... should we send out a search party :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i seen a guy on a tourer outside Crossmolina heading north to ballina/enniscrone on sunday (24th) laiden down with panniers... could it be him? :-)

Still Alive! I managed one full week of cycling before my body basically rebelled - my knee was completely shot and I was waking up exhausted . Those hills are no joke!.. I went through Ennis, down to kilrush, to Doolin, through the burden to Kinvarra, down the coast road to Doolin, over to the islands then rode to Galway. My body basically quit on me by that point so I changed gears ( and completely rearranged my itinerary) to stay in cities for a few days, drink beer and relax. That being said in my drunken exhuberance last night I somehow convinced myself it would be a good idea to book a Ryan air flight to Manchester for 250 Euros :o ... Long story short I fly out of Dublin tomorrow morning to spend 2 nights in Manchester before returning for 3 more nights. Here's a blog I've been posting in to keep track of my trip for posterity: Seanpatrickhamilton.tumblr.com
    Have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Hi, I enjoyed reading this thread and your blog. I am in the middle of planning a similar trip for next summer (with kids!) so it's all useful.

I find it interesting what you consider worth taking photos of!
    I suppose when you live here you don't see it the same way...

Best of luck with the rest of your trip.

Advertisement