Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested routes for 2 week cycling journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seanpatrick

outfox wrote: »
    Don't know if you've cycled here before, but bear in mind that it could conceivably rain for your entire trip. Also, the dampness in the air means it often feels several degrees colder than the thermometer indicates, even in summer.

Well I know it rains, a lot. I certainly hope it wont rain for the entire 2 weeks! - but even that wouldn't put to much of a damper on my enjoyment - I've wanted to visit since I was 5 years old :). My panniers are completely waterproof, I've ordered a waterproof cycling jacket (I need one anyways) and am about to order some waterproof shoe covers. I'm debating on what I should do for my shorts - as I don't usually wear bicycling shorts (can't get my head around wearing those tight fitting things), but might invest in some rain pants as well. Thanks for the heads up though!

Proposed western route ( updated ):

1. Land in Shannon, get out ASAP, ride to Ennis - Spend night 1.
    2. Ennis > Kikee 73.6k - Spend night 2.
    3. Kikee > Lahinch 62.6k - Spend night 3.
    4. Lahinch > Doolin 20k spending day at the Cliffs of Moher. Spend night 4.
    5. Doolin > Ballyvaughan 60k via the inland route through the Burren. Spend night 5.
    6. Ballvaughan > Doolin 20k (via coast road) > ferry to Inishmore. Spend night 6 on Inishmore.
    7. Spend morning on Inishmore exploring - have lunch - ferry to Rossaveal Harbour > head towards Westport. Stop 1/2 way at Lakeshore House B n B - 45k - on the shores of Lough Comb. Spend night 7.
    8. Lakeshore House > Westport (route beside Lough Mask) 54.7k - Spend night 8.
    9. Westport > Castlebar > Enniscrone. 67k. Spend night 9 in Enniscrone.
    10. Enniscrone > Sligo via coast road. 70k. Spend night10 in Sligo.
    11. Sligo > Dublin (via TRAIN). Spend night 11 in Dublin.
    12. Dublin > Carlow - Do some family research at the records library in Dublin, then take the train to Carlow. Spend night 12,13,14, in Carlow exploring. Ride up to Kildare or perhaps down to Kilkenny and back while making Carlow my home base.
    13. Carlow > Dublin ( bike or train depending on my energy level) spend night 15 and 16 in dublin, doing touristy things :)
    14. Fly out on day 17.

This plan has me stay 2 extra nights in Ireland, but I should be able to pull it off - might just have to forgo some bed and breakfasts in favour of a few hostels. (Still want to stay mostly in B n B's though if I can afford it. 2 or 3 star is probably fine ).

Links to Maps (part 1 and 2)
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ennis,+Clare,+Ireland&daddr=52.620577,-9.189007+to:52.6284528,-9.3892432+to:52.7052103,-9.5419565+to:52.6975719,-9.5896075+to:Kilkee,+Clare,+Ireland+to:52.7056811,-9.6336794+to:52.7203861,-9.4684812+to:52.8204059,-9.2519132+to:52.930146,-9.326253+to:Lahinch,+Clare,+Ireland+to:52.9650619,-9.4245145+to:Doolin,+Clare,+Ireland+to:52.9967503,-8.9777934+to:53.01684,-8.98138+to:53.1125226,-9.1352119+to:Ballyvaughan,+Ireland+to:53.0966846,-9.303458+to:Doolin,+Clare,+Ireland+to:Inishmor+to:Rossaveal+harbour,+Ireland+to:Lakeshore+House+B%26B,+Galway,+Ireland+to:53.609825,-9.4594946+to:Westport,+Mayo,+Ireland&hl=en&sll=53.786861,-9.355545&sspn=0.362664,0.665359&geocode=FUJjJgMdvtd2_ykp1TPfzRJbSDEgczGXqccACg%3BFSHtIgMdcclz_yk_Khe-bSNbSDEMu2zG4HwvKQ%3BFeQLIwMdRbtw_ylD9KL_eN9aSDHYyBssPMj0Jg%3BFbo3JAMdvGZu_ymBNglY3-ZaSDG9yxXJH0nf_Q%3BFeMZJAMdmaxt_ynN_669sudaSDEP2Ad4dFEgOA%3BFUfgIwMdhNZs_ymXMB6Na-haSDHQnTGXqccACg%3BFZE5JAMdcQBt_ykjNHQoKuZaSDEOYj_pQknggA%3BFQJzJAMdv4Vv_ymNstXpB-FaSDFmcFhCTVCKGw%3BFbX5JQMdt9Ny_ykj2tjK-xpbSDH4ThfftckCBg%3BFWKmJwMdU7Fx_ymf4zsxJARbSDFX1OXgQxUfBw%3BFUawJwMdqYhx_ynlXAgQKARbSDEQYN83qccAGA%3BFcUuKAMdfjFw_ynR_khKBAFbSDE19F46xkrG2w%3BFWT7KAMdiPpw_ylL9fPjWQdbSDGw_jGXqccACg%3BFY6qKAMdfwJ3_yltpnDD93RbSDGpzN93PSG9Qw%3BFQj5KAMdfPR2_ynX40dgVXRbSDGR6bvbT8wL8g%3BFcpuKgMdlZt0_ylVOaT3dqFbSDFZIabIdxMivA%3BFY16KgMdEWR0_ymvNeVOZaFbSDGw1zGXqccACg%3BFewwKgMdXgpy_yltd7znHaZbSDGSivuG1qdFaw%3BFWT7KAMdiPpw_ylL9fPjWQdbSDGw_jGXqccACg%3BFaeuKgMdkLBr_yn5CVsi_1BaSDGcRo8sqYI_cQ%3BFQvMLAMdcB1u_ykrCrD8nbRbSDGdhBiv0t52kw%3BFWWiMAMdy6Jw_yFH-SkH8YfxhymZn8BNH8VbSDFH-SkH8Yfxhw%3BFWEFMgMd2qhv_yklKdOxEdpbSDEQkolleH5foA%3BFZP0NAMdldJu_ymvCf0_VmNZSDGA6jGXqccACg&oq=castlebar&dirflg=w&mra=pr&via=1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,11,13,14,15,17,22&t=m&z=11

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Westport,+Mayo,+Ireland&daddr=53.8311669,-9.4991803+to:53.9190357,-9.2442343+to:54.1149109,-9.1480719+to:54.1404798,-9.1355325+to:Enniscrone,+Sligo,+Ireland+to:Enniscrone,+Sligo,+Ireland+to:54.2882569,-8.9813359+to:54.2579932,-8.7081791+to:54.180617,-8.6809149+to:54.2180609,-8.4672606+to:54.2705737,-8.4716001+to:Sligo,+Ireland+to:Dublin,+Ireland+to:Carlow,+Ireland+to:Dublin,+Ireland&hl=en&sll=53.559889,-7.888184&sspn=2.917243,5.322876&geocode=FZP0NAMdldJu_ymvCf0_VmNZSDGA6jGXqccACg%3BFf5lNQMd1A1v_yk7zfo7-GRZSDGqhZnZrKTKSQ%3BFTu9NgMdtvFy_ynDBqH_RUNZSDEkhk88Iaa0vQ%3BFV66OQMdWWl0_ynvsdm7ljdZSDEuykjwogtg7g%3BFT8eOgMdVJp0_ynvV_I3DzdZSDFuIORr6sjZqQ%3BFfA4OwMdyj91_ynXAKZ_fDFZSDGABzKXqccACg%3BFfA4OwMdyj91_ynXAKZ_fDFZSDGABzKXqccACg%3BFYBfPAMdqfR2_ynrKw03stJeSDGKzMyNBZXEbQ%3BFUnpOwMdrR97_ykdMf-gc8VeSDFhcMdvAco4KQ%3BFQm7OgMdLop7_yndmpSSOMZeSDGVuRcNn7srzw%3BFUxNOwMdxMx-_ymFD0heA-peSDGFRsVOt8MlmA%3BFW0aPAMd0Lt-_yn3PqcCNeheSDFDWCCKDsc1AA%3BFQIyPAMdR6p-_ynprnxnteleSDGAczGXqccACg%3BFa0NLgMdqnmg_ykvrCfqgA5nSDGgcTGXqccACg%3BFZs4JgMdiDGW_ykRYRVgUV1dSDEGme6cDEfCAw%3BFa0NLgMdqnmg_ykvrCfqgA5nSDGgcTGXqccACg&oq=dublin+&mra=ls&via=1,2,3,4,7,8,9,10,11&t=m&z=8

Thoughts? - I'll plan my southern route soon, then get some feedback and decide from between the two. It's been suggested I break my trip up into parts, - traveling between major areas by train, and exploring the individual parts a little more thoroughly, this is also an option I'll have to look at. Regardless, I hope to book my seat on the plane ( Lingus or Transat ) this week, so will have to decide fairly soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well I know it rains, a lot. I certainly hope it wont rain for the entire 2 weeks! - but even that wouldn't put to much of a damper on my enjoyment - I've wanted to visit since I was 5 years old :). My panniers are completely waterproof, I've ordered a waterproof cycling jacket (I need one anyways) and am about to order some waterproof shoe covers. I'm debating on what I should do for my shorts - as I don't usually wear bicycling shorts (can't get my head around wearing those tight fitting things), but might invest in some rain pants as well. Thanks for the heads up though!

I would implore you to try lycra cycling shorts. They will be far less hassle when the inevitable rain comes, and keep your legs at a comfortable temperature in our quickly changing conditions. I wore rain pants on my old commute, they were fine for 20-30 minutes, anything after that and it gets very sweaty inside.

I'd say something like these would really be the only thing for the job. I have this exact pair, there's a bit of warmth in them but not too much, so they will do both hot and cold as long as it isn't too extreme.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-thermolite-pro-biblong-padded-tights/rp-prod34845

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I second that. Lycra shorts dry out very fast after the rain and your legs tend not to chill as much as the rest of your body since they're doing all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

If you are getting rain pants I'd get knee-length ones. Even if the weather is rainy and very windy (especially on the West coast) it's unlikely to be very cold.

Even short rain pants are probably overkill, though. Shorts plus knee warmers or leg warmers should be enough. If you get an odd day with really torrential rain, you can rub a bit of vaseline on your knees to keep them warm.

I'd get lycra shorts. If you want something with enough modestry for you to be able to blend in seamlessly in towns with people who didn't arrive there by bike, you could get the MTB ones that have inner and outer layers. Softshell pants might also be a weatherproof option, but I think ordinary lycra shorts (bibs or waisted) would be your best bet.

• Advertisement

I would implore you to try lycra cycling shorts. They will be far less hassle when the inevitable rain comes, and keep your legs at a comfortable temperature in our quickly changing conditions. I wore rain pants on my old commute, they were fine for 20-30 minutes, anything after that and it gets very sweaty inside.

I'd say something like these would really be the only thing for the job. I have this exact pair, there's a bit of warmth in them but not too much, so they will do both hot and cold as long as it isn't too extreme.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-thermolite-pro-biblong-padded-tights/rp-prod34845
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    I second that. Lycra shorts dry out very fast after the rain and your legs tend not to chill as much as the rest of your body since they're doing all the work.
    If you are getting rain pants I'd get knee-length ones. Even if the weather is rainy and very windy (especially on the West coast) it's unlikely to be very cold.

Even short rain pants are probably overkill, though. Shorts plus knee warmers or leg warmers should be enough. If you get an odd day with really torrential rain, you can rub a bit of vaseline on your knees to keep them warm.

I'd get lycra shorts. If you want something with enough modestry for you to be able to blend in seamlessly in towns with people who didn't arrive there by bike, you could get the MTB ones that have inner and outer layers. Softshell pants might also be a weatherproof option, but I think ordinary lycra shorts (bibs or waisted) would be your best bet.

This might double post, as I responded to Darkglasses hours ago and it's still not posted ( my posts seem either to post right away or take hours to materialize ) but in any case:

I was actually trying to talk myself into the lycra shorts last night. Traditionally for longer rides I've use a liner under shorts, but if have always been pretty lucky with the rain. I thought I could get some lycra shorts and wear them under thin over-shorts, or have the shorts easily accessible in my panniers to slip on when I get off the bike in town or in populated area's to wonder around. I've got a picture in my head that has old people sneering at me in them while children run away crying when I'm seen in them, but I'll get over it. In any case I saw these that look good (they've got GREAT reviews on amazon.com) here in Canada: http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-379/pearl-izumi-quest-shorts-mens/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008&h=10&q=cycling%2Bshorts

and thought I could get something like this to slip on over them for pit stops:
    http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-876/mec-ascension-shorts-mens/

or I could get something like this: http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-734/mec-iliad-shorts-mens/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008&h=10&q=mtb%2Bshorts

and wear liners underneath:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5017-583/mec-ace-cycling-liner-shorts-mens/?q=ace%2Bunder%2Bliners

Between the two options, what do you think is the way to go?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This might double post, as I responded to Darkglasses hours ago and it's still not posted ( my posts seem either to post right away or take hours to materialize ) but in any case:
    There has been a recent change in site procedures meaning posters with a low post count who include images or links need to have their posts approved by a mod - sorry for the delay but if you do have further problems drop a mod a PM if it doesn't get sorted within a reasonable period

I've got a picture in my head that has old people sneering at me in them while children run away crying when I'm seen in them, but I'll get over it. In any case I saw these that look good (they've got GREAT reviews on amazon.com) here in Canada: http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-379/pearl-izumi-quest-shorts-mens/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008&h=10&q=cycling%2Bshorts

and thought I could get something like this to slip on over them for pit stops:
    http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-876/mec-ascension-shorts-mens/

or I could get something like this: http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-734/mec-iliad-shorts-mens/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008&h=10&q=mtb%2Bshorts

and wear liners underneath:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5017-583/mec-ace-cycling-liner-shorts-mens/?q=ace%2Bunder%2Bliners

Between the two options, what do you think is the way to go?

When on the bike, you're best off with just the lycra shorts. Personally I would suggest you use bib shorts rather than ones with waistbands. That way you don't get a waistband digging into you or exposing your lower back to the cold (or following riders).

Liners and overshorts will flap on your legs and end up uncomfortable. What are you wearing on your long spins at home?

You will indeed get over the prospect of shocked stares as you wander about town with all your curves on show. At this stage, people are probably well used to the sight of skintight lycra-clad men and will just cope while casting about for a lycra-clad woman to gaze at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

When on the bike, you're best off with just the lycra shorts. Personally I would suggest you use bib shorts rather than ones with waistbands. That way you don't get a waistband digging into you or exposing your lower back to the cold (or following riders).

Liners and overshorts will flap on your legs and end up uncomfortable. What are you wearing on your long spins at home?

You will indeed get over the prospect of shocked stares as you wander about town with all your curves on show. At this stage, people are probably well used to the sight of skintight lycra-clad men and will just cope while casting about for a lycra-clad woman to gaze at...

Bib shorts is way to go. Pack leg warmers in waterproof bag and you can put them on if you get cold(when you stop probably).

@Darkglasses linked to warm full length bibs, I won't wear bib tights other until autumn/winter other than an upcoming 24hr ride, and shorts are good for even wet Irish summer weather. It may not be wet in which case you will boil in bib tights!

Leg warmers like this or wherever you can get them

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycling-accessories/altura-leg-warmers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

dude .. .your WAYYYYYY overthinking this ..
    what with the route and now what type of shorts, and will people make fun of how you look...

ffs ... get a grip its a HOLIDAY .. chillax, hop on the plane, get on your bike, cycle around, have a few pints, meet a cycling lass/lad (depending on your preference), visit your ancestors homeland and have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If you're trying to research your ancestors have a look at the National Archives before you leave. Quite a few of their databases are searchable online.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

ford2600 wrote: »
    IMHO the west coast is where you want to cycle, if you want to see what's unique about Ireland.

Start in Cork, cycle to Galway/Mayo via coast taking in Mizen, Sheep's Head, Beara, Iveragh, Tralee,(Ferry) Clare(in particular the Burren), Galway(Connemara) Mayo. From Doolin you could ferry to Aran Island and Ferry back to Galway coast from Aran Islands.

60km a day is very conversvative, even with panniers on a hybrid I did 100km a day in that country 4/5 years ago.

Some lovely cycling throughout Ireland but for quite roads along rugged coastline west coast is magical.

Where the Burren meets the Atlantic

I would agree! The west is the best... Quieter roads around connemara / Mayo, beautiful scenery, great cultural sites to visit. And you'd get that trip to the Aran Islands in!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Proposed western route ( updated ):
    1. Land in Shannon, get out ASAP, ride to Ennis - Spend night 1.
    2. Ennis > Kikee 73.6k - Spend night 2.
    3. Kikee > Lahinch 62.6k - Spend night 3.
    4. Lahinch > Doolin 20k spending day at the Cliffs of Moher. Spend night 4.
    5. Doolin > Ballyvaughan 60k via the inland route through the Burren. Spend night 5.
    6. Ballvaughan > Doolin 20k (via coast road) > ferry to Inishmore. Spend night 6 on Inishmore.
    Good outline plan, but there's a few hills between Kilkee and Lahinch on that route, and I'd prefer to do more coastal stuff myself. Consider staying a couple of nights in Lahinch/Doolin, leave your gear at the B&B/hostel and do a loop for the day without baggage. So do the Burren tour in one day with a lunch stop in Ballyvaughan (120km - easy unladen).
    7. Spend morning on Inishmore exploring - have lunch - ferry to Rossaveal Harbour > head towards Westport. Stop 1/2 way at Lakeshore House B n B - 45k - on the shores of Lough Comb. Spend night 7.
    8. Lakeshore House > Westport (route beside Lough Mask) 54.7k - Spend night 8.
    They're modest distances so you've plenty of time to add in sights along the way - e.g. around Westport do Croagh Patrick, the famine memorial... The route you've chosen from your B&B to Westport involves a decent hill behind Tourmakedy, but it's easily avoided if you want to stay flatter.
    9. Westport > Castlebar > Enniscrone. 67k. Spend night 9 in Enniscrone.
    Not sure about that route - you'd probably have to stay on the main Westport->Castlebar road (or risk getting lost lots of times). Maybe go Westport->Newport on the Western Greenway, out to Glenhest -> Lahardaun -> Crossmolina -> Ballina -> Enniscrone. Quieter roads for cycling and spectacular views.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Bib shorts is way to go. Pack leg warmers in waterproof bag and you can put them on if you get cold(when you stop probably).

@Darkglasses linked to warm full length bibs, I won't wear bib tights other until autumn/winter other than an upcoming 24hr ride, and shorts are good for even wet Irish summer weather. It may not be wet in which case you will boil in bib tights!

Leg warmers like this or wherever you can get them

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycling-accessories/altura-leg-warmers.html

Ok you've convinced me, I'll go and get a pair of bib shorts. FWIW - at home I wear a cycling jersey and liners under regular shorts, but have been lucky with the rain.
    dude .. .your WAYYYYYY overthinking this ..
    what with the route and now what type of shorts, and will people make fun of how you look...

ffs ... get a grip its a HOLIDAY .. chillax, hop on the plane, get on your bike, cycle around, have a few pints, meet a cycling lass/lad (depending on your preference), visit your ancestors homeland and have a good time.

Fair enough. I didn't actually mean to get on a tangent about shorts, but someone had posted warning about the constant rain, and it kind of went that way: rain gear > cycling gear > to lycra or not to lycra. Bonus is that it's a question I've been asking myself for some time, so it's probably to my benefit I wrap my head around it Ireland or not. I hear you though, don't stress about the trip.

If you're trying to research your ancestors have a look at the National Archives before you leave. Quite a few of their databases are searchable online.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware of National Archives indeed - as Mcgratheoin has been invaluable in pointing me in the right direction and helping me find records in this respect already.
    cycleoin86 wrote: »
    I would agree! The west is the best... Quieter roads around connemara / Mayo, beautiful scenery, great cultural sites to visit. And you'd get that trip to the Aran Islands in!

I've pretty much settled on the west for this trip - however haven't yet ruled out doing 1/2 the trip in the west then taking the train to the south for the next half with a stop in Carlow in between :)
    Good outline plan, but there's a few hills between Kilkee and Lahinch on that route, and I'd prefer to do more coastal stuff myself. Consider staying a couple of nights in Lahinch/Doolin, leave your gear at the B&B/hostel and do a loop for the day without baggage. So do the Burren tour in one day with a lunch stop in Ballyvaughan (120km - easy unladen).

I've amended the route somewhat - there are a few short stretches on the main road, but only for short distances. Is that motorway particularly tight?

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Kilkee,+Clare,+Ireland&daddr=52.7099009,-9.625756+to:52.7376341,-9.5509671+to:52.7447711,-9.4650966+to:52.7616929,-9.4425178+to:52.7752351,-9.433096+to:52.7859759,-9.4812639+to:52.817502,-9.4412262+to:52.8440329,-9.4050534+to:52.8878681,-9.3778062+to:52.9078177,-9.3394894+to:52.918859,-9.3452653+to:52.930315,-9.3463289+to:lahich,+ireland&hl=en&ll=52.73837,-9.428329&spn=0.371666,1.056747&sll=52.835751,-9.372196&sspn=0.092709,0.264187&geocode=FUfgIwMdhNZs_ymXMB6Na-haSDHQnTGXqccACg%3BFQxKJAMdZB9t_yk19nZ3JeZaSDGfIx08leyMbQ%3BFWK2JAMdiUNu_ynNbV04o-ZaSDH4JWiXTaf9Ng%3BFUPSJAMd-JJv_ykxwh27hOFaSDEK6wlYRUFYyw%3BFVwUJQMdK-tv_ylBHVvaGuJaSDE1C8DmgNNL1w%3BFUNJJQMd-A9w_yntBcTjC-JaSDGm7HwHVqhkFA%3BFTdzJQMd0VNv_ynNpGrLUeJaSDFY5HYATfwaow%3BFV7uJQMdNvBv_ym7RFYlnuJaSDHX99hoAkq5fA%3BFQBWJgMdg31w_yllN-FBLR1bSDHFcDBiwnFQrw%3BFTwBJwMd8udw_yk9dgYDdQNbSDFLWNxwGb_Eww%3BFSlPJwMdn31x_yk_HMTPbwRbSDE_vPkO5yP20A%3BFUt6JwMdD2dx_ymfrXiaDQRbSDFQLK4sOry7ag%3BFQunJwMd6GJx_ymDzmNpGwRbSDGPO5PZAbh8Ow%3BFUawJwMdqYhx_ynlXAgQKARbSDEQYN83qccAGA&mra=dpe&mrsp=7&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&t=m&z=11

They're modest distances so you've plenty of time to add in sights along the way - e.g. around Westport do Croagh Patrick, the famine memorial... The route you've chosen from your B&B to Westport involves a decent hill behind Tourmakedy, but it's easily avoided if you want to stay flatter.

Not sure about that route - you'd probably have to stay on the main Westport->Castlebar road (or risk getting lost lots of times). Maybe go Westport->Newport on the Western Greenway, out to Glenhest -> Lahardaun -> Crossmolina -> Ballina -> Enniscrone. Quieter roads for cycling and spectacular views.

Thanks for the tip, I'll amend my map as such: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Westport,+Mayo,+Ireland&daddr=Newport,+Ireland+to:53.8929472,-9.5328642+to:Glenhest,+Ireland+to:53.9624241,-9.3804988+to:Lahardaun,+Ireland+to:Crossmolina,+Ireland+to:54.1048779,-9.27479+to:54.10468,-9.22461+to:54.1068619,-9.1662438+to:Ballina,+Mayo,+Ireland+to:54.137336,-9.1364948+to:Enniscrone,+Sligo,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=54.043264,-9.253922&spn=0.360444,1.056747&sll=53.97083,-9.299583&sspn=0.180536,0.528374&geocode=FZP0NAMdldJu_ymvCf0_VmNZSDGA6jGXqccACg%3BFVw5NgMdgFVu_yk7kF5fi29ZSDFAnjGXqccACg%3BFVNXNgMdQIpu_ykVnvOjmm9ZSDGcvOHNXs496w%3BFU4ONwMduPZv_yltqfAOGWlZSDFLOzh5UwyHMg%3BFbhmNwMdbt1w_ykVlkTy5WlZSDF6Q--Eb5iFiA%3BFetsOAMd3cFx_ynNj4rb_0BZSDHAkz_OGHxcgw%3BFXaBOQMd-tlx_ym_vRFJPD9ZSDGQ9jGXqccACg%3BFS2TOQMdWnpy_ymhfjlGzzhZSDH2_m122OneWA%3BFWiSOQMdXj5z_ynfKRFSXjhZSDEuRpVf73iwfQ%3BFe2aOQMdXSJ0_ynHv2Q09TdZSDGYudyY674MKw%3BFYS6OQMdA050_ym1eW9gczdZSDHgnjGXqccACg%3BFfgROgMdkpZ0_ynvV_I3DzdZSDFuIORr6sjZqQ%3BFfA4OwMdyj91_ynXAKZ_fDFZSDGABzKXqccACg&oq=enniscrone&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=12&via=2,4,7,8,9,11&t=m&z=11

Though it doesn't show the mayo greenway ( I can't find it on the map) I'll just figure it out when I get to Westport.

This information is invaluable thanks to all!

FWIW - This is my first trip off the continent since I was 5 year sold (many years ago) so I'll attribute my over planning to being a rookie traveler. The tips and support are giving me lots of confidence, and as I'm super excited to come and visit, planning the trip is a lot of fun!

Once I've got this one under my belt, maybe my next visit could be of the "go where the wind takes me" variety, which also sounds like an awesome advenutre!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fair enough. I didn't actually mean to get on a tangent about shorts, but someone had posted warning about the constant rain, and it kind of went that way: rain gear > cycling gear > to lycra or not to lycra. Bonus is that it's a question I've been asking myself for some time, so it's probably to my benefit I wrap my head around it Ireland or not. I hear you though, don't stress about the trip.

I think you're right to give some thought to practicalities! The wrong shorts could really make a hash of your cycling - chafing for 14 days would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Hi from Toronto, Canada!

I'm planning a trip late august for two weeks to Ireland and will do all my traveling by bicycle. I'm a fairly avid cyclist - not a speed freak - but regularly go for 100k rides in Toronto (170k is my longest). I realize Ireland is very hilly, and do want time to check out some sites and not be exhausted every day, so am thinking 60k per day is a reasonable amount. I've got my waterproof panniers, rain-gear, and will be bringing my bike ( as opposed to renting one while there ). I've been trying to plan out a route, but am quite frankly overwhelmed with all there is to see and do.

My understanding is it's best to travel south to north to take advantage of tail-winds, but exactly where I start and where I end up is up in the air. I could land in Dublin or Shannon - or land and take a connecting flight to Kerry ( or cork than head north along one of the coasts?)

I'm totally open to suggestions! - I would like to see Dublin ( tourist trap I know ), and would like to travel through Carlow at one point -(As that's where my Great Grandmother was from ) and think I'd like to visit the Aran Islands, beyond that I just have to start and end a city center with an airport.

I know the major highways are a no-no, so will be looking to take safer routes even if it means a circuitous route to get from a to b.

Any suggestions?

Cheers! and thanks in advance everyone!

Sean.
    its a tough route but the scenery on the ring of kerry is worth it, it is spectacular. if you can drop some of your gear someplace safe do so, as you will feel the benfit of it there are some tough climbs.
    Never been in Carlow on a bike just passed through driving so I cant comment.
    Hope you have a ball when you get here!

sorry should have also mentioned in my 1st post to you, a really good book by a guy who travelled around Ireland with no real route plan, McCarthys Bar by Peter McCarthy (sadly deceased) one of the funniest travel books you will ever pick up, he has a rule that you cant pass a pub if it has your surname over it (he travelled around Cork were every 2nd person is called McCarthy)
    something to read in the evening while having some food & perhaps a pint!

I've amended the route somewhat - there are a few short stretches on the main road, but only for short distances. Is that motorway particularly tight?
    That's not a motorway, but that question explains why you're looking to cycle down every boreen in Clare.

The N roads around there are fine for cycling so don't be concerned about staying off them. In fact keep your route simple or you'll spend half your day stopping at every junction trying to figure out which way to go next. In this area I recommend you plan to use the main roads (N roads). Only if you get freaked out by the traffic (which you probably wont, but depends on your experience and mindset) consider using the smaller roads.

The reason to hug the coast is to get plenty of these kind of views up close and personal... use the google man for streetview in a few spots and you'll see the kind of roads you're looking to use.
    303205.jpg
    Thanks for the tip, I'll amend my map as such...
    Though it doesn't show the mayo greenway ( I can't find it on the map) I'll just figure it out when I get to Westport.
    Yep, that kind of thing. The Greenway between Westport & Newport largely runs near the road, and isn't on googlemaps. It is on OpenStreetMap. You might find it easier to do the route planning using OpenStreetMaps (selectable in www.RideWithGPS.com) and you get elevation data too.

You'll find the start of the Greenway when you're there and every local will be able to direct you. Here's the start of it on GoogleMaps (believe me, OpenStreetMap is way better)...
    303210.jpg

The next stretch of Greenway from Newport to Mulranny is further from the main road, and nicer in many ways. I reckon you'd enjoy that too, but it's not going towards Enniscrone and Sligo.

One other thing... the Cycling Ireland website has some excellent routes mapped out with photos, some video and good maps, including elevation.

Your route overlaps with some listed there and you'll learn a lot from it. See for example, the following (which you're planning to do most of in reverse).
    http://cycleireland.ie/joyce-country-westport-cong-cycle/

• Advertisement

Incidentally, it's probably worth getting some kind of a road atlas or other paper map for when your gps dies.

Also, the constant rain could just as easily not happen at all and even when it does, it won't go on for that long.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    sorry should have also mentioned in my 1st post to you, a really good book by a guy who travelled around Ireland with no real route plan, McCarthys Bar by Peter McCarthy (sadly deceased) one of the funniest travel books you will ever pick up, he has a rule that you cant pass a pub if it has your surname over it (he travelled around Cork were every 2nd person is called McCarthy)
    something to read in the evening while having some food & perhaps a pint!
    Incidentally, it's probably worth getting some kind of a road atlas or other paper map for when your gps dies.

Also, the constant rain could just as easily not happen at all and even when it does, it won't go on for that long.

Check - I'll add the two books to my must have's :)

That's not a motorway, but that question explains why you're looking to cycle down every boreen in Clare.

The N roads around there are fine for cycling so don't be concerned about staying off them. In fact keep your route simple or you'll spend half your day stopping at every junction trying to figure out which way to go next. In this area I recommend you plan to use the main roads (N roads). Only if you get freaked out by the traffic (which you probably wont, but depends on yourexperience and mindset) consider using the smaller roads.

I commute everyday to and from work in traffic here in Toronto, which can be harrowing - and am completely used to it. That being said I know the terrain well and what roads I should and shouldn't take. I had read (and in fact found my source at Frommers) that the N roads were not a good idea. From http://www.frommers.com/destinations/ireland/697576
    "Roads in Ireland are categorized as M (Motorway), N (National), or R (Regional); a few still bear the older T (Trunk) and L (Link) designations. For reasons of scenery as well as safety, you probably want to avoid motorways and national roads. The R and L are always suitable for cycling, as are the N roads in outlying areas where there isn't too much traffic

Perhaps the road from Kikee to Lahich is one of the National roads that Frommers would consider an "outlying area". In any case I can play it by ear when I get there, I know what I'm comfortable with and what I'm not, and will go from there. My memory of the events leading up to this scene in The Guard doesn't help my confidence - if any of you have seen it :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acImLyQaMHk

The reason to hug the coast is to get plenty of these kind of views up close and personal... use the google man for streetview in a few spots and you'll see the kind of roads you're looking to use.
    303205.jpg

THAT, is an excellent idea in fact. I'll definitely do that so I can get a vague idea of what looks safe and what looks suicidal.

Yep, that kind of thing. The Greenway between Westport & Newport largely runs near the road, and isn't on googlemaps. It is on OpenStreetMap. You might find it easier to do the route planning using OpenStreetMaps (selectable in www.RideWithGPS.com) and you get elevation data too.

You'll find the start of the Greenway when you're there and every local will be able to direct you. Here's the start of it on GoogleMaps (believe me, OpenStreetMap is way better)...
    303210.jpg

The next stretch of Greenway from Newport to Mulranny is further from the main road, and nicer in many ways. I reckon you'd enjoy that too, but it's not going towards Enniscrone and Sligo.

Awesome - I'll refine my route using Open Street maps over the coming days. I'm heard great things about how willing to help Irish folk are (as evidenced also by this thread) so have no qualms about asking people for directions / help while I'm on the road.
    One other thing... the Cycling Ireland website has some excellent routes mapped out with photos, some video and good maps, including elevation.

Your route overlaps with some listed there and you'll learn a lot from it. See for example, the following (which you're planning to do most of in reverse).
    http://cycleireland.ie/joyce-country-westport-cong-cycle/

[/quote]

I'll do some further research into it. I looked at their cycle route from Leenane to Westport, ( as you said it matches mine exactly ) and to be honest think some of that cycle route doesn't look to bike friendly, despite the title. For instance I pulled this picture from it - narrow road with no shoulder - and no place to bail out if two cars were coming from opposite directions at the same time. HTcX8iY.jpg

But I suppose it's all about comfort level - and I can plan an alternate route on the fly if I'm really freaked out about a section. The bonus about planning a conservative distance per day is that detours are perfectly acceptable!

I'll do some further research into it. I looked at their cycle route from Leenane to Westport, ( as you said it matches mine exactly ) and to be honest think some of that cycle route doesn't look to bike friendly, despite the title. For instance I pulled this picture from it - narrow road with no shoulder - and no place to bail out if two cars were coming from opposite directions at the same time. HTcX8iY.jpg

This is how most of the roads you'll be travelling are. On that style of road, I ride around halfway across the left lane and any traffic has to wait and go around me. You'll regularly have cars having to wait behind you for a passing opportunity but they'll get their chance. If you're on a tricky section with a lot of cars (or a truck) held up behind you, you can pull off to the side for a few seconds and let them pass but, in general you should be fine.

I have found this sort of road to be great for cycling, the drivers are usually polite and considerate and the roads tend to be quiet enough. The larger main roads with shoulder are worse as the traffic is usually faster and noisier and the shoulder is full of debris so you really want to cycle in the main carriageway but cannot...

This is how most of the roads you'll be travelling are. On that style of road, I ride around halfway across the left lane and any traffic has to wait and go around me. You'll regularly have cars having to wait behind you for a passing opportunity but they'll get their chance. If you're on a tricky section with a lot of cars (or a truck) held up behind you, you can pull off to the side for a few seconds and let them pass but, in general you should be fine.

I have found this sort of road to be great for cycling, the drivers are usually polite and considerate and the roads tend to be quiet enough. The larger main roads with shoulder are worse as the traffic is usually faster and noisier and the shoulder is full of debris so you really want to cycle in the main carriageway but cannot...

Alright, well that's reassuring to some extent. I suppose there's no 18 wheelers that fly along these smaller roads are there? - Also do you suggest riding actually in the middle of the left lane to make sure cars don't try to squeeze past you, or should you regularly try to stay as close to the shoulder as possible?

Alright, well that's reassuring to some extent. I suppose there's no 18 wheelers that fly along these smaller roads are there? - Also do you suggest riding actually in the middle of the left lane to make sure cars don't try to squeeze past you, or should you regularly try to stay as close to the shoulder as possible?
    http://goo.gl/maps/GW01X

the above link is the route of a cycle i am doing in a couple of weeks, the majority of motorists are courteous as they either cycle themselves or know someone who does and will hold back before overtaking on the smaller roads when it is appropriate, but as a famous Scot once said, "never take an idiot with you on a journey, as you are bound to meet one on the way or when you get to the end"

the major rule of thumb to follow is to be safe but positive while cycling, dont wear earphones! (sorry its a pet peeve of mine to see some clown cycling along tuned into something else instead of what is going on around him/her)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Very few 18 wheelers (if any) on that size road - you're more likely to get stuck behind a tractor than to have an articulated truck stuck behind you. Don't ride in the gutter, stay out a few feet. The way I see it, on a road like that, if it's not safe to overtake somebody in the middle of the lane, it wouldn't be safe to overtake somebody close to the shoulder. Therefore you aren't actually slowing down any traffic by riding in a safer position, although you are removing any temptation that may exist to execute a dangerous passing manoeuvre.

BTW - these roads, although nominally "National" routes, will be fairly quiet and the regular traffic will be very used to cyclists/tractors/cattle/sheep slowing proceedings - in these areas I would expect drivers to be quite courteous and safe.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    http://goo.gl/maps/GW01X

the above link is the route of a cycle i am doing in a couple of weeks, the majority of motorists are courteous as they either cycle themselves or know someone who does and will hold back before overtaking on the smaller roads when it is appropriate, but as a famous Scot once said, "never take an idiot with you on a journey, as you are bound to meet one on the way or when you get to the end"

the major rule of thumb to follow is to be safe but positive while cycling, dont wear earphones! (sorry its a pet peeve of mine to see some clown cycling along tuned into something else instead of what is going on around him/her)

Hey good luck on your trip! - Not to worry, I never wear headphones when I cycle. It would be a death wish in Toronto, where an unfortunate number of drivers are neither courteous, or paying attention - and EVERYONE is in a hurry to get somewhere. I myself move like a bat out of hell while biking to work ( lets face it, going fast is fun on a bike ) but would consider it insane to tune out traffic.
    Very few 18 wheelers (if any) on that size road - you're more likely to get stuck behind a tractor than to have an articulated truck stuck behind you. Don't ride in the gutter, stay out a few feet. The way I see it, on a road like that, if it's not safe to overtake somebody in the middle of the lane, it wouldn't be safe to overtake somebody close to the shoulder. Therefore you aren't actually slowing down any traffic by riding in a safer position, although you are removing any temptation that may exist to execute a dangerous passing manoeuvre.

BTW - these roads, although nominally "National" routes, will be fairly quiet and the regular traffic will be very used to cyclists/tractors/cattle/sheep slowing proceedings - in these areas I would expect drivers to be quite courteous and safe.

Good to know. As above the patience of drivers differs from that of those in Toronto - block a car for more then 2 seconds and people lean on their horns. I don't think it's as bad in other parts of Canada, Vancouver is supposed to be great for cycling.

So the message I'm getting is most National roads are fairly safe to bike on in the west ( along the coast ) - however the shoulders are debris strewn and killer on tires. So where the scenery is stunning along the coast I'll plan to take the N routes, but take R routes ( and smaller roads ) for the other legs of my Journey.

Hey friends!

Well I leave for Ireland in about a month, on August 11th and will be staying (longer then I had first planned) until Sept 2. I've booked my flight and lodging (mix of bnb's C/O air bnb and hostels) - and am looking forward to arriving!. Here's my (near) final route - if there's anywhere that I've planned that is extra dangerous for cycling please let me know, and if there's something I need to see along my routes I'd love to hear it! My schedule's as such:

1. Land in Shannon, ride to Ennis, spend Night one.
    2. Ennis to Kilrush (Turbidy House) spend Night two.
    3. Kilrush to Doolin via Cliffs of Moher - spend Night three.
    4. Doolin to Kinnvara via The Burren - spend Night four.
    5. Kinnvara to Doolin via the coast road, check out Ailwee Cave - spend night five.
    6. Doolin to Inishmore - spend day 6 riding around the island - spend night six.
    7. Inshmore to Lough Corrib and up to Marrey Bikes (to pick up a jersey and anything else I need) then back to Lough Corrib to spend night at Lakeshore House BnB on the shore's of the lake. Spend night seven.
    8. Lough Corrib to Clifden, spend Night eight.
    9. Clifden to Log an Aifrean BnB (between Westport and Louisburg ) via Kylemore abbey ( I'm worried about the N59 here between clifden and Kylemore) - spend Night nine.
    10. Log an Aifrean BnB to Enniscrone via the Famine Memorial (crough patrick) and the Mayo Greenway (between Westport and Newport) spend Night 11.
    11. Enniscrone to Sligo, check out Sligo Abby - spend Night 12.
    12. Sligo to Carlow via Dublin by various train routes (this will take me all day) - spend night 13 in Carlow.
    13. Spend the next two days in Carlow, enjoying the town and checking out the surroundings including Ballymooon, Parke's and Carlow Castle, Cong Abbey, etc ( they're having a weeklong festival at this time as well with things to do) - spend night 14 and 15.
    14. Carlow to Kilkenny - Check out Kilkenny Castle and the surrounding area - spend night 16.
    15. Kilkenny to Cashel - Check out the "Rock of Cashel" - spend night 17.
    16. Cashel to Waterford - spend night 18.
    17. Waterford to Castlebridge - spend night 19.
    18. Castlebridge to Wicklow, check out Powerscourt Estate - spend night 20.
    19. Wicklow to Dublin - Fit in typical Dublin Stuff (trinity College, Book of Kells, Dublin Castle etc) - spend night 21 and 22.
    20. Fly back to Toronto, Canada on Day 23.

Here's the route maps in three parts. I'm a little concerned about N59 from Clifden to Kylemore Abbey but don't see any way around it.

Part 1: (type in https: here)//maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201608751302506903035.0004fd2e24ba734b1c0cc&msa=0

Part 2:(type in https: here)//maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201608751302506903035.0004fd2f3f090176067e3&msa=0

Part 3: (type in https: here)//maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201608751302506903035.0004fd2fabbbf86d09dd6&msa=0&ll=53.278353,-11.975098&spn=9.49423,23.994141

As all my accommodations are booked, I can't take any huge detours from this point on - but if there's anything along the way I NEED to see or any spots where I'm going to get mowed down by cars I'm all ears. Thanks again!!!

Can't wait to come and see you all!

• Advertisement

if you have time in Dublin, try to check this out.

www.littlemuseum.ie

happy trails.

Advertisement