Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Spare 200m PC fan and gooseneck mic armature = Cold Pillow, Cool back and heavenly undisturbed sleep since June.

315544.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

KungPao wrote: »
    More positive posts like this please!

The "oh it's 19 degrees...how will I ever sleep...it's so muggy" posts are getting tiresome. You'd swear the country has shifted to the Amazon jungle, the way some people are going on.

It's room temperature outside. Big deal!

Obviously male, never cooked a child in weather like this.
    Here's an idea, go sit in your airing cupboard wearing every item of clothing you own, woolie jumpers included, then see how positive you are. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

More positive posts like this please!

The "oh it's 19 degrees...how will I ever sleep...it's so muggy" posts are getting tiresome. You'd swear the country has shifted to the Amazon jungle, the way some people are going on.

It's room temperature outside. Big deal!

It is a big deal only getting 4 hours sleep since June. My work preformance has gone down. Yes a few days I can stand but they has been going on for weeks. I can't have a fan on due to noise. The alarm keeps me from opening the window at night.

We are not used to this weather, it is rare we get it at all. This is Florida weather where everyone has an air conditioner built into the house but we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nice catch from a guy in the UK. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Obviously male, never cooked a child in weather like this.
    Here's an idea, go sit in your airing cupboard wearing every item of clothing you own, woolie jumpers included, then see how positive you are. ;)

Which is why you should get pregnant in late August/September. By the time the child is born, it will be May/June. Then, shortly after his 4th birthday, he will be able to start school in September, which will free up some of your time.

When are you due anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Lucreto wrote: »
    It is a big deal only getting 4 hours sleep since June. My work preformance has gone down. Yes a few days I can stand but they has been going on for weeks. I can't have a fan on due to noise. The alarm keeps me from opening the window at night.

We are not used to this weather, it is rare we get it at all. This is Florida weather where everyone has an air conditioner built into the house but we don't.

No, Florida is much hotter. There's a reason why hurricanes form in that region. The only time I find this weather unpleasant is when I'm doing manual labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Today(yesterday) I recorded the highest minimum 17.6 C and the highest maximum 26.5 C of the year so far. Beautiful day with a gentle breeze that kept away the midges this evening, bliss, and right now its 18.4C at 00.40am.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Having been in Spain the last week in 35c - 40c heat and having to wrap damp towels over me to get some sort of sleep,

This is bliss.... Good night..!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

@mountainy man

Sligo town warmest night of the year at 17.8c
    Today warmest day of the year at 25.4c

wet old evening though and .5c cooler than this time last night

perished :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

This is Florida weather where everyone has an air conditioner built into the house but we don't.

This is far from Florida weather. And perhaps you will be happy when we are back to wind, cold and rain like we have for the other monotonous 10 months of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    This is far from Florida weather. And perhaps you will be happy when we are back to wind, cold and rain like we have for the other monotonous 10 months of the year.

I've been to Florida twice in the height of summer and this is definitely worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Two new records for Galway City Yesterday

Highest Dew Point 22.1 °C at 15:35
    Highest Minimum 18.4 °C at 00:22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I've been to Florida twice in the height of summer and this is definitely worse.

According to this it is 28C (sensation 32) at night in Miami, with humidity of 79%. Sounds a bit "worse" than our what, 18-22 at a night?

Last night (in Dublin) I slept with a regular duvet and just a small window open, slept like a corpse.

Looks like a great day out there, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Reiketsu wrote: »

It absolutely is not. My in-laws are in Tampa and their weather last night dipped to 26C with 75% humidity, off the back of a daytime high of 34 and afternoon storms, all of which is typical. You cannot stand out in it. You cannot touch the controls of a car that has been parked in the open.

Ireland's best day on record could barely touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Proper summer weather today. 20°c already and not a single cloud to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Glorious proper summer weather. Pregnant women aside, the only people who moan about this must never leave the house.

All the 'I love the winter and the rain, looking out at the miserableness of it all, tucked up with tea and a box of biscuits'.

I like a fire and a storm too, but jaysus we see plenty enough of that. It's the summer. A rare event in this country.

Anybody got ideas on next week? Looks like tomorrow and Friday are to be tree splitters in some spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Overcast and dull in mayo.rained earlier.
    No sun.buried in cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

overcast and misty morning in sligo 18c

definitely a case of them and us

even malin head is 22c at 9am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Been everywhere from Letterkenny to Ballincollig and in between last few days since Saturday.

Best sun deffo in the east. Overcast basically everywhere else. Even rained in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anybody got ideas on next week?

Doesn't look great from Saturday. Looks like it's going to become much cooler and more unsettled. Back to normal.

Could still change but odds on now for a breakdown in the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Absolutely sweltering in East Wall at the moment, I'm hiding in the air conditioned office !

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

25C @ 9.50am in Derry - it's gonna be the hottest day of the year so far here.

The hottest temperature ever recorded in Northern Ireland is 30.8C - we'll probably not beat that today, but it might get close over the next couple of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Which is why you should get pregnant in late August/September. By the time the child is born, it will be May/June. Then, shortly after his 4th birthday, he will be able to start school in September, which will free up some of your time.

When are you due anyway?

And not drink at Christmas?! Helloooooo, Irish!!! :D

Been there, done that, try fitting into skimpy summer clothes after having a baby, not fun!!
    No, hibernate from September to January and emerge like a butterfly in the spring.

8wks left, torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Doesn't look great from Saturday. Looks like it's going to become much cooler and more unsettled. Back to normal.

Struggling to find this breakdown, a quick glance at ECM/GFS and they look great out till Wednesday at least, potential for even longer :confused::confused: Is there a lagging front or something that means it's going to rain under all that high pressure or lots of cloud or?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

can't say I can see a real "breakdown" either but cooler yes, still no sign of any significant rainfall which is very badly needed in my parts anyway.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif?2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

So we'll be cold under the blanket of cloud as opposed to
    hot under the blanket of cloud :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A fan is actually pretty sleep inducing for me, so if I needed it (never have in Ireland) I'd have no issues with that. Can you not disable zones on the alarm for upstairs windows? Or sleep in your birthday suit with your feet sticking out!? And use a sheet instead of the duvet etc.

Anyway, great day here in Dublin 16. Proper sunny and nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Clear blue skies last few hours, humidity quite high at 75%, surprising lack of strong sea breeze today making it feel hotter than the temperature suggests.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Calibos wrote: »
    Was out of Bray in Dundrum from 2-5pm today visiting relatives. The cloud line/boundary was virtually overhead in Dundrum and clear blue skies as you looked East. Thus, while it was just as warm in Dundrum (25.5ºc according to car) the Sun was in and out, while I imagine Bray probably had uninterrupted Sun in the same time period. Bit of Sea mist obscuring the top of Bray Head though when I got back to Bray. With the topography surrounding Bray, thats literally how close the dividing line can be between Sunny Bray and Dull SoCoDu. I remember back in the 80's living in Firhouse Co Dublin we'd be bemoaning the Dull Grey Skies day after day and the Granny visiting from Bray would tell us that the sun was splitting the rocks for days in Bray.

The sun may have been playing hide and seek in Dundrum yesterday when I was there but as I've discovered this morning, it was enough to burn me to a crisp!!

I really need to get into the sun cream habit.

Convection beginning to generate cloud cover from the Wicklow mountains Westwards this afternoon. I said as much in the 'Summers when you were a child' thread, but ask someone from Bray to Wexford about this Summer and they'll tell you that virtually all of June and July has been beach weather, whereas ask someone in the midlands and they'll say 'nice mornings but over caste most of the rest of the time bit at least it's been warm and dry'. Ask someone in the west and north and they might go on a rant about all the rain this very wet Summer....

It's not a country of two halves. It's a country of 10 mile stripes it seems like. You can have vastly different weather literally 10 miles down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

According to this it is 28C (sensation 32) at night in Miami, with humidity of 79%. Sounds a bit "worse" than our what, 18-22 at a night?

Two words....air conditioning.

26 degrees here so far and still a good few hours from the warmest part of the day.

Advertisement