Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plex client for Android 59p on Amazon.uk

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

according to the comments this version of it isn't being updated as regularly as the one on the google store

just something to consider

maybe

*shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

keeps sending me to the us store and billing in $, then asks for a new credit card, despite me having bought from amazon for y:mad:ears

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

damian139 wrote: »
    keeps sending me to the us store and billing in $, then asks for a new credit card, despite me having bought from amazon for y:mad:ears

You using a vpn?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Did the same for me with no VPN.
    Must be cause I used .com a few times.
    Went on the PC and was able to use an existing card. Just link it to the .com account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Bought it for €1.49 on 26th August 2013. Haven't even opened the app yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

degsie wrote: »
    You using a vpn?

ehhhh......yeah.....:o thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

does plex have its own streaming links

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Has anyone use this with the Chromecast (from amazon.co.uk)?

What do you think of how it works with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Has anyone use this with the Chromecast (from amazon.co.uk)?

What do you think of how it works with it?

Ive used the Chromecast on the one from the play store and it works great cant fault it at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Do you still need to pay for plex pass on top of my buying the application to get chromecast support or is out of beta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

dregin wrote: »
    Do you still need to pay for plex pass on top of my buying the application to get chromecast support or is out of beta?
    No need for a plex pass anymore :D

Ah sweet, I bought it ages ago, but was in no mood to be shelling out a monthly fee for beta access.

Deadly buzz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Sorry guys - what exactly will this app do? Can i stream video from an android device to a Chromecast?

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Sorry guys - what exactly will this app do? Can i stream video from an android device to a Chromecast?

I run a plex media server on my PC.

It gets cover images and organizes my TV programs properly.

The app gives you a netflix-like UI to browse the library of media on your PC, but it is a FAR nicer app to use than Netflix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

So if I connected my hard drive to a router with a USB port (Specifically the Vodafone Fibre One) would I be able to use this to get content off it?

Do I need to run a server on my computer?

Thanks.

Plex interacts with its own media server. Your drive must be connected to something running plex media server. Your computer would do the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

dregin wrote: »
    Plex interacts with its own media server. Your drive must be connected to something running plex media server. Your computer would do the job.

So if I connect my Hard drive to my computer run the server, then use the app to stream content to my tablet/phone? Hmm, seems like an extra step instead of just connecting my Harddrive via OTG cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

So if I connect my Hard drive to my computer run the server, then use the app to stream content to my tablet/phone? Hmm, seems like an extra step instead of just connecting my Harddrive via OTG cable.

The 'secret sauce' of plex is the channels, you won't get those via otg.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

degsie wrote: »
    The 'secret sauce' of plex is the channels, you won't get those via otg.

otg? channels?? completely lost now! :confused:

Played with channels before, but got nowhere trying to stream using vlc. Any decent tutorials?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bmm wrote: »
    otg? channels?? completely lost now! :confused:

channels is like.. youtube, some tv channels, some streamy stuff and the like

otg is on the go, just plugging an external hd into the tv and watching stuff from it

so the plex offers more functionality with the channels than just plugging the hd straight into the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Please excuse my ignorance on this one.

If I was to set up a plex server on my laptop, and had content from a hard drive attached (which I currently have plugged straight to the TV via usb), would the laptop have to be turned on and running in order for me to stream content to a Chromecast via the Android app?

Thanks for any help.

Please excuse my ignorance on this one.

If I was to set up a plex server on my laptop, and had content from a hard drive attached (which I currently have plugged straight to the TV via usb), would the laptop have to be turned on and running in order for me to stream content to a Chromecast via the Android app?

Thanks for any help.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bromley52

Other option,

Get a NSA310 and a 2 TB Western Digital Red HD and you are ready to go for €140-150.

This is the most useful gadget I have ever purchased and there are plenty of guides on how to set it up including on how to install a plex server.

There is a boards.ie thread on this with loads of info.

bromley52 wrote: »
    Other option,

Get a NSA310 and a 2 TB Western Digital Red HD and you are ready to go for €140-150.

This is the most useful gadget I have ever purchased and there are plenty of guides on how to set it up including on how to install a plex server.

but you still need plex running on a pc somewhere else as it won't run plex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bromley52

Other option,

glasso wrote: »
    but you still need plex running on a pc somewhere else as it won't run plex?

It will run Plex.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Thanks for the help lads.

Had considered a Nas, seems like it's the best solution. Just have to stump up the cash.

It will run Plex.

transcoding etc all fine - i.e. performance is decent? are you using this with nowtv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Really want to get into using plex, have bought a months subscription to get the feel of it.
    A couple of things though :
    I assumed buying a subscription would let me stream off line?
    I know plex is on roku, anyone know what else its available on, something fairly cheap?

• Advertisement

Laptop or PC running plex server are free (apart from electricity obv :))

Don't really get the point in plex subscriptions.

Advertisement