Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Diablo III is the most pointless repetitive boring and c**p game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Diablo III is the most pointless repetitive boring and c**p game ever.

This + Borderlands. It's just grinding.

Far Cry 3 is a very dull game. Vaas is a crap villain.

Fallout New Vegas had terrible writing compared to 3.

Arkham Origins is praised for a story that does nothing much beyond shoehorning in bosses. It's very 'video game' and a huge step back from the first two, which were at least decent plot wise.

God of War is an awful series.

Uncharted is over rated and Tomb Raider did it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Oh and Demons Souls is better than Dark Souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Fnz wrote: »
    Playing games for the story is like watching movies for the soundtrack

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

But... i... you... I don't get this. I play for the story, and normally a good story will get me through a bad game. A good game with a bad story will usually not be completed by me either.

Game stories, movie soundtracks... mostly generic, epic mediocrity. Stuff that would be considered uninspired in a dedicated story/music medium.

Game stories seldom seem believable. Probably because the gameplay rarely supports the narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh yeah, Brothers, Tale of two sons. My worst spent money since Spore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The Mass Effect series is massively overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

krudler wrote: »
    Just, no. I liked the Sonic games as a kid but in fairness you just hold right on the dpad, hit jump the odd time and he does 90% of the work for you, Super Mario World pisses all over every Sonic game.

Are we really having a Sonic/Mario argument in 2014? :pac:

Agree with Halo being meh, it's grand, the multiplayer was a laugh, but it's hailed as this amazing fps game when its not. It was just better than other console fps games at the time, and even then Timesplitters 2 was miles better than it.

Burnout 3 is the best racing game ever made, it's crying out for a HD remake, arcade racing perfection.

I think you are the gaming Anti christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,513 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Game stories, movie soundtracks... mostly genetic, epic mediocrity. Stuff that would be considered uninspired in a dedicated story/music medium.

Game stories seldom seem believable. Probably because the gameplay rarely supports the narrative.

Entirely depends on the game really. I agree that in far too many cases, games stories are rubbish.

But that's just down to the talent in the writers involved rather than the medium. Unfortunately videogames seem to attract crap writers. Get a good writer involved and you can have a fantastic story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Game stories, movie soundtracks... mostly genetic, epic mediocrity. Stuff that would be considered uninspired in a dedicated story/music medium.

Games don't have to be believable to be good (example: I'm playing Metro Last Light - I don't believe that there's going to be a point where Russians will have to fight mutated spiders and rats after a nuclear winter but I'm still enjoying the storyline involved) but they have to work logically within their own universe and gameplay should push you on to find out more about what is happening in the narrative. You can play a game with a great story but poor gameplay and vice versa but when the two elements are skillfully done and work together properly, it does make for a fantastic couple of hours of gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Zed Bank wrote: »
    I think you are the gaming Anti christ.

Excellent, I should get that on a nametag

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've also seen films where the best thing about them was the soundtrack and have heard soundtracks that are so good I will listen to them like any other piece of music. Besides surely it makes more sense to compare film soundtracks to game...well....soundtracks? :confused:

Games don't have to be believable to be good (example: I'm playing Metro Last Light - I don't believe that there's going to be a point where Russians will have to fight mutated spiders and rats after a nuclear winter but I'm still enjoying the storyline involved) but they have to work logically within their own universe and gameplay should push you on to find out more about what is happening in the narrative.

Believable, in that, the world they create has to be internally consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

Spyro isn't as good as people make it out to be.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've also seen films where the best thing about them was the soundtrack and have heard soundtracks that are so good I will listen to them like any other piece of music. Besides surely it makes more sense to compare film soundtracks to game...well....soundtracks? :confused:

And is the best way to consume the part you like, to watch the movie, or to switch medium and listen to the soundtrack?

I liken game stories to movie soundtracks in that, while additive to the experience, they are far from being the point of the respective medium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The original Dragon Age was the best RPG of the last generation.

The souls games and Xenoblade chronicles say otherwise.

I just can't get over how childish and immature the dragon age series is to enjoy it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

And is the best way to consume the part you like, to watch the movie, or to switch medium and listen to the soundtrack?

I liken game stories to movie soundtracks in that, while additive to the experience, they are far from being the point of the respective medium.

They may not be the be all and end all of the mediums but they're integral to the overall quality in many cases.

The Walking Dead series, not a game but an interactive movie so lost interest.

Ducks for cover...:eek:

They may not be the be all and end all of the mediums but they're integral to the overall quality in many cases.

From my perspective, bad stories don't ruin games, bad gameplay ruins games. Bad stories are par for the course, and as such I'm baffled that anyone "plays games for the story" as it implies story trumps gameplay for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The Walking Dead series, not a game but an interactive movie so lost interest.

Ducks for cover...:eek:

Aye, it probably is but I really enjoyed playing it because there were strong characters. I've bought the season pass for The Wolf Among Us but I haven't really been as interested in playing it as the Walking Dead. I think it's because I got the Walking Dead for the Vita so it was altogether rather than waiting episode to episode. That's a bit of a pain in the hoop tbh.

• Advertisement

From my perspective, bad stories don't ruin games, bad gameplay ruins games. Bad stories are par for the course, and as such I'm baffled that anyone "plays games for the story" as it implies story trumps gameplay for them.
    Aye, it probably is but I really enjoyed playing it because there were strong characters. I've bought the season pass for The Wolf Among Us but I haven't really been as interested in playing it as the Walking Dead. I think it's because I got the Walking Dead for the Vita so it was altogether rather than waiting episode to episode. That's a bit of a pain in the hoop tbh.
    As per FNZ, because there was no gameplay for me I didn't enjoy it, I would be in this bracket. Story trumping actual gameplay, dont get me wrong I love strong story's in games but they should add to the overall gameplay element and not the other way around.

I want to 'play' a game not sit and watch a movie and press a button or a QTE every so often.

If the gameplay is poor though a good story could spur someone on to finish a game just in the same way good gameplay will keep someone invested in one with a poor storyline. Games like anything else are subjective and different people enjoy them in different ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

For you, maybe. I play games pretty much exclusively off-line, & purely for the story driven experience. To me, a game without a story is pretty much pointless outside of the competitive aspect. Maybe you should delve a bit deeper into what's available, as there's some incredible story driven games out there

If the gameplay is poor though a good story could spur someone on to finish a game just in the same way good gameplay will keep someone invested in one with a poor storyline. Games like anything else are subjective and different people enjoy them in different ways.
    Agree, it's subjective. So I for instance would not be able to bring myself to complete a game just for the story if the gameplay was crap, if the story was crap in my opinion and the gameplay was great then I could easily pump hours into it. (Diablo 3, Borderlands 1, Skyrim, Dead Space etc just a couple of examples).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Tomb Raider and Bioshock: Infinite were disappointing and got very repetitive until I just gave up. Worth about €15 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm a huge Mario fan but I cannot stand Mario Kart games. Never got the hype.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Far Cry 3 is not worth the effort.
    Batman Arkham Asylum/City were rather dull.
    Mycroft H wrote: »
    I never liked Final Fantasy VII and as a result, never bothered with the rest.
    ... , Gta 5 and Max Payne 3 I found to be very boring uninteresting games

Portal 2 has piss poor jokes and the long corridor disrupted the flow of the game which left a bitter taste in my mouth

The last of us is overrated as ****

Uncharted 3 was awful
    SM01 wrote: »
    Half-life 2 is meh.
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Borderlands is absolute dog****
    Grimebox wrote: »
    The Mass Effect series is massively overrated

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who prefers single player games over online multiplayer...i was genuinely starting to feel old haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sonic Unleashed was the best game on PS3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dark Souls is muck. I play games to enjoy myself and unwind, not to tear my hair out at the first sign of an enemy
    Metal Gear Solid games are over rated, too many hour long cut scenes make them more of an interactive movie.
    GTA IV is better than GTA V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

The GTA IV versus V seems to be coming up a bit. I hated GTA IV could never get into it whereas GTA V is quality IMO.

Advertisement