Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 World Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

squadro wrote: »
    Is terry Jenkins an antiques dealer???

Yeah he is. He has always said darts is only a hobby for him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

This tournament has been fantastic to watch. Think the double start is great for viewing, is it likely to be used more often in televised tournaments?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

This tournament has been fantastic to watch. Think the double start is great for viewing, is it likely to be used more often in televised tournaments?

Very unlikely, its a once off tournament each year and all the better for it imo. Keep it this way.

Barney is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Does Barney look hammered to anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Does Barney look hammered to anyone else?

Thought that on the walkout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Thought that on the walkout too.

I am one of his biggest fans but what the **** is going on with him. If he is on the sauce that he cannot play yet now he is hobbling off... to be honest he looks at this moment like a man who is on the piss..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

he is a sulky person

tight g?t Too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Sweet jesus i have never seen someone miss so many doubles even at novice level, barney is a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Saying afterwards his back was at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Barney is a spineless human, impossible to have any respect for him.
    The way he conducted himself tonight was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AlanK402

I still have two balcony tickets for sale for the darts tonight, Friday.
    30euro each.
    PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Just saw Barneys post on Facemuck regarding last nights performance. Sorry cant copy and paste here, im on the mobile. Anyway, he says he had a problem with his back. He made sure to mention the diabetes aswell, in case we had forgotten.... lol. Its not so much an apology, kinda the usual "poor old me" $hite he tends to spill from time to time. He used to be one of my favourite players but he makes it hard to like him with his attitude. When you consider what kind of a week Thornton had (im not even a fan of Thorntons) and how he could at least act dignified in defeat on the stage. Barney is a disgrace, couldnt care less if he never makes another tv major. Some people laugh at the BDO, i even do from time to time, but theres more professionalism in Scott Waites big toe than there is in Barney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Barney was out of order last night, sore back or not!

Thats no way to conduct yourself or to treat paying fans who have been cheering you on for years!
    King, who hasn't always been top of list for sportsmanship, looked completely disgusted at the end of it. I hate Barney's whinging, theres always soemthing the matter with him that stops him playing, sore backs, diabetes, family kidknappings, he's just a bore! I'm sure a lot of other players have things going on but they still stand up there, have soem respect for their opponent & the game and get on with it. They might not win but they certainly don't quit onstage like a coward.

Whats the story with Thornton? Seen it mentioned here and also few times in commentary but I have not heard anythign else.

Tonight's lineup looking like a good one!

Richie Burnett v Stephen Bunting
    Gary Anderson v Kevin Painter
    Phil Taylor v James Wade
    Michael van Gerwen v Mervyn King

I think Wade could have the game to beat Taylor tonight! He's looked extremely focused this week and been pretty consistent through his matches and is his scoring has been heavier than at other times over the last few years. I think the old Wade is coming back and could be good bet for few finals over next year

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Thornton's mother died.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think Wade will has a huge chance of beating Taylor tonight as well. Stuck a few quid on him to win. Heading in tonight so looking forward to it. I've missed the last few Friday's at the Grand Slam because it clashed with Ireland soccer matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Missed most of last night, saw the Bunting game. What exactly was Barney up to? Lots of comments re unsportsmanlike conduct? Also I think if Wade can keep Taylor out of his head (And away from his flights) then he has a good chance of taking out The Power. But you know Taylor is going to go into wind-up mode as soon as they land on stage. I'll go for Bunting / Painter / Wade and MVG. Enjoy whoevers going!!!!

Bunting through 3-1. Anderson through 3-2. Wade 1-0 up and Taylor getting boo'd on throwing for double to win 1st set!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Really hope wade takes the board off the wall for Taylor to sign if he wins..

Good man wade

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fantastic, thanks for the tip on Wade! :D

Wade really showing what a farce it was to leave him out of the Premier League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The crowd played a huge part in that, Taylor could easily have won the opening 2 sets. Delighted he didn't though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's been a very good tournament so far, the Grand Prix was never one of my favourites but enjoying this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Painter stayed back to do an interview with Anderson after he was beaten,can't say I'm surprised Taylor didn't do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

KevIRL wrote: »

its done wonders for wade, he needed it,was playing boring awful darts for a long time

Fantastic, thanks for the tip on Wade! :D

lol Wish I had have put more on it now :rolleyes::D

In play done Wade highest check out at 9/2 just after Taylor hit his 128 so happy with that one on top of another Quad from earlier games & football :D
    KevIRL wrote: »

I think that was really the kick in the hole he needed to get him back to his best. It certainly looks like it could be working, he's been really solid all week.

Fantastic game there

Its been a really good tournament, I know it usually is anyway but some tournaments recently I've gotten a little bored with but the grand prix my eyes are clued from start until the end! I forgot to even turn over during adverts last night to check the scores in the football lol

• Advertisement

Personally I wish he would retire

http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/1f89pumtx5p4t1sq9f127dwir3/title/barney-issues-dublin-statement
    RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD has issued an apology following his defeat to Mervyn King at the partypoker.com World Grand Prix on Thursday night.

The Dutch star suffered a 3-1 loss to King, but was visibly showing the pain of a back problem during the game's later stages - despite winning the third set to threaten a similar comeback to the one he produced in his first round defeat of Dave Chisnall.

However, van Barneveld missed 30 starting doubles in the fourth set - including being whitewashed in the opening leg - as King eased into the quarter-finals at Dublin's Citywest Hotel.

Premier League Darts champion van Barneveld is currently one of a group of players battling to stay inside the world's top 16, while he has also yet to secure his place in November's Cash Converters Players Championship Finals, which are based on ProTour prize money.

In response to Thursday's defeat, van Barneveld has released the following statement:
    "I had been really looking forward to the game before the match, but during the first set I felt a strain or pulled muscle in my back. My back had been a little bit uncomfortable earlier in the week but hadn't been a problem until this point.

"As the game wore on I found it harder to stand at the oche or to bend in when I was throwing, especially switching down to the lower part of the board.

"I wanted to complete the game and when I won the third set I thought I might have a chance to win, but in the last set the frustration got to me.

"Mervyn was starting well and I couldn't find the opening doubles, but it was not right for me to give up and I want to apologise to Mervyn, to the great fans, to the PDC, Sky Sports, RTL7 and the viewers at home.

"I've been working very hard to prepare for this tournament and it's very disappointing for me to be knocked out in this way.

"I'm comfortable with my new darts and I'm working hard to stay in the top 16 and to qualify for all the TV events that are coming up.

"My first intention when I get back home will be to see a doctor to assess my back injury and get the right treatment, and I hope that I can be back playing in the Players Championships next weekend in Crawley, because every event is important to me at the moment.

"Winning the Premier League this year was one of the greatest moments of my career and those are the memories that I want, not just for me but for the Barney Army who give me such great support."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement