Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is your breeding start date?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Freejin wrote: »
    Anybody here run maiden heifers with the cows to pick up heats,at least for the first few weeks? Are they a pure nuisance in the parlour?

Did it when we had smaller numbers just for hardiness but don't bother any more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody here run maiden heifers with the cows to pick up heats,at least for the first few weeks? Are they a pure nuisance in the parlour?

I run cull cows and maiden heifers together, they usually graze ahead of suckler cows and calves on best of grass.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Haven't done that here, with the heifers it may make it easier if you watch them for a week and bull anything in heat, then inject with pg any heifer yet to come in, bull those if they come bulling,( be especially vigilant 48 -72 hrs after the pg shot), and 11days after the first shot of pg inject again those that have not come bulling and AI if bulling or else fix time AI at 48 and 72 hours. Your AI man should have experience with this. It may be a good idea to put the last few with the cows as there may be more activity and as you say you will see them more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Probably the 28 of april-I always start on a monday , no logic just my own little quareness

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charleysurf

yeah do it every year, makes it very easy to pick up heats and easier to ai them as they're coming into the yard twice a day. had 93% of heifers calving in 3 weeks this spring.

as regards the parlour sometimes, but I see it as early parlour training. have a heifer in with the cows at the minute and she lines up for milking and is quite out. most times I find they hang at the back of the collection yard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement