Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is your breeding start date?

Options
  • 04-04-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭

i will probably start ai'ing after the 21st of april, when are you starting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

01 may maby a few days before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Trying to hold my father off as much as I can. He wants to start next week.
    He says the December calves that aren't served wont stay bulling forever if not inseminated soon,
    True or false?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

He says the December calves that aren't served wont stay bulling forever if not inseminated soon,
    True or false?
    False

Will start May Bank holiday Monday, heifers same day. Heifers will be synched

All cows will be painted on Monday

False

Decker trying to cod me :D
    Hopefully 21st of April.
    All the bulls are -10 days for CI so will have a few last week of Jan but not too bothered there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Bull let out today......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

frazzled synched what you mean after 7 or 10 days off starting or when and I hope to start 25th or 28th jan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

15th may

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

False

All cows will be painted on Monday
    have you ever done the heifers a week before the cows. Gives them a better chance to go incalf early for lactation 2 as they have more day until the planed start of mating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

20-25th April this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

first week of may

hope to lamb 200 ewes in January , got badly caught in overlap a couple of years ............ NEVER AGAIN

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    have you ever done the heifers a week before the cows. Gives them a better chance to go incalf early for lactation 2 as they have more day until the planed start of mating.

Sorry that's what I meant. Have been doing for a few yrs now really give them a great chance. I'm going away for bank holiday from Fri to Sun hope to synch heifers to be finished ai Fri am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭cute geoge

True or false?
    I also find it hard to spot cows bulling after the second time they come around ,they don't seem to show much signs . I often marked out cows to bull by putting back the date 3 weeks and when it would come around , could not spot them high up or low down

Sorry that's what I meant. Have been doing for a few yrs now really give them a great chance. I'm going away for bank holiday from Fri to Sun hope to synch heifers to be finished ai Fri am

Same as myself.
    Heading to Killarney for the rally with few mates.
    Will have started breeding by then though

Same as myself.
    Heading to Killarney for the rally with few mates.
    Will have started breeding by then though

I'd say you'll be trying a bit of breeding in the Left Bank👙

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

Are ye going to use sexed on the synced heifers. Tried it last year, very disappointed with results, compared with the synced heifers that got conventional semen. Talked to Dorreen Corrigan, said not a runner.

I'd say you'll be trying a bit of breeding in the Left Bank👙

0% conception rates I hope :D

maxxuumman wrote: »
    Are ye going to use sexed on the synced heifers. Tried it last year, very disappointed with results, compared with the synced heifers that got conventional semen. Talked to Dorreen Corrigan, said not a runner.

No. Considered it and concluded that serving early with conventional will produce as many heifers. Worked well here last year on natural heats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Massive no no syching heifers and going with sexed going by reasearch trials that have been done, really get poor conception rates, one guy i worked with tried it on a group of 100 heifers with sexed and synching out of the 100 only 15 held was a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Massive no no syching heifers and going with sexed going by reasearch trials that have been done, really get poor conception rates, one guy i worked with tried it on a group of 100 heifers with sexed and synching out of the 100 only 15 held was a disaster

Expensive ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Expensive ouch.

Sure was, heifers really need to be in top class condition/meeting target weights when going with sexed, have seen articles where sexed was trialed between different farms with the same ai technicians doing all aiing plus heat detection the top class lads with heifers in really good order and on good diets etc where achieving 70% to 1st service with sexed while the poorer farms where as low as 25%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Started last weekend... Have 20 ai'd.... Might start maiden heifers Monday coming... Have sexed semen ready to go for them... No sync-ing.. Served to natural heats only....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

is that very early awaywithyou? are you milking all year round?

I'll start around the 20th of April

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Two smashing heifers earmarked for the bull this spring. One bulling away this evening. AI man coming in the morning! Two Lim bulls we wanted to put on her are relared to her so it's some bucko I've never heard of!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charleysurf

Decker trying to cod me :D
    Hopefully 21st of April.
    All the bulls are -10 days for CI so will have a few last week of Jan but not too bothered there[/QUOTE

think your mixing up CI with gestation length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Started april 20th last year and calving started on jan 20th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Does anyone have a number for a munster AI technician (or any AI man) in Co clare Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

The Cuban wrote: »
    Does anyone have a number for a munster AI technician (or any AI man) in Co clare Thanks lads

Ray Hunt, 0868354788, is the breeding advisor for Clare on back of catologue, he should sort you out with a number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I hope to scan autumn calvers this week and will start ai this week as well unless scanning goes better than expected, will be away for first week of easter so will give heifer first shot before i go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

The Cuban wrote: »

Could you narrow it down a bit? Tis a long pony trek from kilbaha to tubber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

Anybody here run maiden heifers with the cows to pick up heats,at least for the first few weeks? Are they a pure nuisance in the parlour?

Advertisement