Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyone said ours was the best wedding ever"

Options
  • 03-04-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭

I see this in a lot of posts on this forum.

Realistically, is anyone going to give the B&G an honest opinion after the wedding? If asked, I always say I enjoyed the wedding, no matter how tedious or disasterous it was, as there is no point in hurting feelings about something that is already over.

Has anyone ever had guests make any negative comments whatsoever post wedding? If so, on what aspects did they comment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

^Usually said with a sly dig at people who did things differently to them. The truth is that no-one really cares that much about your wedding apart from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I see this in a lot of posts on this forum.

Realistically, is anyone going to give the B&G an honest opinion after the wedding? If asked, I always say I enjoyed the wedding, no matter how tedious or disasterous it was, as there is no point in hurting feelings about something that is already over.

Has anyone ever had guests make any negative comments whatsoever post wedding? If so, on what aspects did they comment?

Ive mentioned before on here there should be a wedding scale website. out of a 100. guests vote anonymously and leave comments.

Fintan and marys wedding in a 2 story marquee in ballygocastle heights on 32nd of Octember, Whilst I appreciated the fact the B&G actually created a new date in the calendar, the unicorn burgers were a bit gristly, the disney character dress style didnt suit Uncle Frank either, that said, everyone thought the 4 beatles actually playing together again (even in their current state) was a nice touch. 74/100

mine would have got 93/100. Thats in the highest percentile. Im basing that on what people said to me afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Off topic, but a guest sent his steak back TWICE at my wedding.
    Not holding a grudge, but ......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You will get comments about food and music if they were actually good, everything else is just the usual "best wedding ever" that means nothing and is said to 99% of brides and grooms.

Roadtoad wrote: »

A large amount of people don't actually know what steak cooking terms mean. If I heard "I'll have it medium but with no red in it" once, I heard it a hundred times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Omg I cannot believe people believe it and then quote.

Is someone really going to say to you " yeah it was grand same as every other wedding.

"Yeah your band we re grand, I danced, same as every other wedding"

And are your band really going to say
    "Jaysis you had about the same amount of people on the dance floor as is usual"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

It is an honest opinion though. During / After a wedding a lot of people are on a high, probably do think it's the best wedding ever!

I know my Mam was at one and the mother of the groom was in a tizzy because one of the guests told her the food was cold. That's just cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Sala wrote: »
    It is an honest opinion though. During / After a wedding a lot of people are on a high, probably do think it's the best wedding ever!

I know my Mam was at one and the mother of the groom was in a tizzy because one of the guests told her the food was cold. That's just cruel.

Generally the only ones on a high thinking that are the b & g. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nobody really cares except for the bride and groom, and they all think their wedding was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ive mentioned before on here there should be a wedding scale website. out of a 100. guests vote anonymously and leave comments.

Fintan and marys wedding in a 2 story marquee in ballygocastle heights on 32nd of Octember, Whilst I appreciated the fact the B&G actually created a new date in the calendar, the unicorn burgers were a bit gristly, the disney character dress style didnt suit Uncle Frank either, that said, everyone thought the 4 beatles actually playing together again (even in their current state) was a nice touch. 74/100

mine would have got 93/100. Thats in the highest percentile. Im basing that on what people said to me afterwards.
    Why would you rate a wedding? They are only getting married to each other once whether you liked it or not it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Roadtoad wrote: »

That's because at most mass catered events, the steak usually comes out a particular way that is NOT liked by a lot of guests. Steak is one of theses dishes where people are very particular about how it's cooked.

Perhaps if your venue got your guest's order right the first time, he wouldn't have had to send it back twice. :rolleyes:

On topic ... Who says a wedding was the best ever? Nobody is gonna say that except for the bride and groom and obviously they are biased :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

During / After a wedding a lot of people are on a high,

Very few people would be on a high after during/after a wedding!

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nobody really cares except for the bride and groom, and they all think their weeding was the best.

My gardening skillz are the best anyone has ever seen, doncha know. :cool::pac:

tinkerbell wrote: »
    That's because at most mass catered events, the steak usually comes out a particular way that is NOT liked by a lot of guests. Steak is one of theses dishes where people are very particular about how it's cooked.

Perhaps if your venue got your guest's order right the first time, he wouldn't have had to send it back twice. :rolleyes:

On topic ... Who says a wedding was the best ever? Nobody is gonna say that except for the bride and groom and obviously they are biased :D
    That is why steak is a bad choice IMO for large parties. Though let's face it, most wedding food is mediocre, that's catering to a big crowd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

That IS just cruel.

Like why say it? Nothing can be done at that point and it just upsets people.

Very few people would be on a high after during/after a wedding!

I totally disagree. I have been to loads where I had an absolute ball, and anyway, best wedding ever doesn't mean they have ranked the weddings they've been at, just means they had a great time.

That is why steak is a bad choice IMO for large parties. Though let's face it, most wedding food is mediocre, that's catering to a big crowd.

I was actually at a wedding with amazing food for the first time ever a few months ago. And there was circa 200 guests. Usually the food is meh though.

amdublin wrote: »
    That IS just cruel.

Like why say it? Nothing can be done at that point and it just upsets people.

Mam told her it was fine but she was running around asking everyone if their meals were ok. You'd want to be a miserable sod to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We had someone complain about the food to my parents after our wedding. I don't know what she expected us to do about it, but she made sure to let us know via my mum!

I've been at brilliant weddings and meh weddings. You can't predict how things will turn out on the day but the reasons why some have been meh are usually because the bride is way too late, the mass is looooooooong, the drive from the church to the venue is loooooooooong, the food and drink is skimpy or the band are crap. When we started planning we weighed up the good and bad from the weddings we've been to and planned accordingly. We put a fair bit of time and money into food, drink and entertainment, and that's what people mentioned to us afterwards. Some said it was the best wedding ever (especially friends who were so happy there was no church and everything was in the one place), but most have never mentioned it again. Which is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I'm a total sap at weddings- get caught up in them all and say they are the best wedding ever, genuinely meaning it when I say it. Once the bride and groom are happy and in love then the day is special, its not like the weddings are "rated", they're all lovely and unique in their own way, even if the whole format is the same, its always special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

lazygal wrote: »
    We had someone complain about the food to my parents after our wedding. I don't know what she expected us to do about it, but she made sure to let us know via my mum!

That is really bad manners, IMO.

• Advertisement

I was actually at a wedding with amazing food for the first time ever a few months ago. And there was circa 200 guests. Usually the food is meh though.
    That why i roll my eyes when I hear couples acting like guests should be eternally grateful for the "free meal". It's usually a meal you definitely would not pay for or eat if it was not a wedding.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

personally, i hate weddings/ i find them boring and tedious.

i would never tell the B&G directly that their wedding was boring, but there is no way i would be telling them that theirs was the best, unless i believed it.

I actually have friend who thought her wedding was really boring, and she was comparing it ours but as i told our wedding reflected us as a couple and hers reflected her relationship

i was at another wedding, where everyone was gone by 11.30pm and the bride and groom were devastated.

lots of people dont enjoy their weddings and wish they had done something different. i think these are people who just follow traditional and dont put much thought it in to it.

we very much tailored our wedding to our likes and dislikes. To me it was the best day of my life and it was exactly how we imagined it. there are one or two things i would have changed mainly being a bit more sober, so i could remember a bit more.

I have been at truly awful weddings, where the bride has been an hour late, the band was rubbish, the food was crap. one wedding the speeches went on for 2.5 hours and the bar was closed during this time, so no water - nothing. horrendous.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    That is really bad manners, IMO.

Ah, what can you do!

As soon as I get an invite where it's a church wedding followed by a reception over half an hour away I'm already a bit bored. Mass and a long drive isn't my idea of a good time.

John Mason wrote: »
    i was at another wedding, where everyone was gone by 11.30pm and the bride and groom were devastated.

It used to be the norm for weddings to end around 11pm when the b & g "went away". I wish it were still the norm. People now feel obliged to stay up all night, frequently when all enjoyment is gone and all they want to do is sleep because the B & G will be "devastated" if they don't.

It used to be the norm for weddings to end around 11pm when the b & g "went away". I wish it were still the norm. People now feel obliged to stay up all night, frequently when all enjoyment is gone and all they want to do is sleep because the B & G will be "devastated" if they don't.

Hell yeah. I don't enjoy those residents bar sing songs. I'm usually wrecked by midnight and ready to call it a day. Ours wrapped up early compared to most, at 130am, and I was delighted there was nowhere to go but home to bed.

Hell yeah. I don't enjoy those residents bar sing songs. I'm usually wrecked by midnight and ready to call it a day. Ours wrapped up early compared to most, at 130am, and I was delighted there was nowhere to go but home to bed.

Aw I'm the opposite :o I do be nearly crying when the lights come on and everyone has to leave

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The high is often helped along by booze too! There have been loads of weddings where I've been like "wow this is amazing, this is the best ever!" and others where I've been counting down the minutes til we can leave and it not be early enough to be considered rude.

One wedding I was at (actually was a BM at so it was extra cringey) the groom and best man's speech was laden with expletives, seriously every second word was fcuk. It was awful. Really awful. I was at the top table and looking around you could just see the shocked expressions on the guest's faces. Mother of the bride looked like she was going to die of shame, and the bride wasn't very impressed either. Worst part was that they did the speeches before dinner, so we had to sit there for the whole meal after the speeches which were received about as well as a fart in a space suit.

Nobody said anything to the B&G directly, but it was talked about by a lot of the guests during the dinner and the rest of the reception. In fact now, 8 years later, it still comes up whenever anyone is planning a wedding and mentions speeches. Seriously, if you wrote a book called "Stuff you shouldn't do under any circumstances during the speeches" it would come with a bonus DVD with footage from this wedding.

I was at a wedding where a tipsy bridesmaid made a really snotty speech about the bride and how demanding she was. It was the main talking point afterwards and despite the lovely venue, food and atmosphere it's what we remember most.

I was at a wedding where a tipsy bridesmaid made a really snotty speech about the bride and how demanding she was. It was the main talking point afterwards and despite the lovely venue, food and atmosphere it's what we remember most.

Oh my god I'd be so annoyed, do any of ye watch don't tell the bride? There was one where the bridesmaid complained about everything and then when she was talking about how happy the bride was she was like "well of course she is though she's up there in a nice frock", still making it about her and how unhappy she was with the grooms choices!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Tasden wrote: »
    Oh my god I'd be so annoyed, do any of ye watch don't tell the bride? There was one where the bridesmaid complained about everything and then when she was talking about how happy the bride was she was like "well of course she is though she's up there in a nice frock", still making it about her and how unhappy she was with the grooms choices!
    Saw that one! That bridesmaid looked like she'd never cracked a smile in her whole life. Sat there the entire day with a big grumpy face on her. I actually thought the BM dresses were quite nice!

Advertisement