Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zavvi + Customs - WARNING

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

Just received Lord of The Rings Extended Edition from Zavvi and no custom tax has been applied. But the cost of the blu rays was 21.75EUR, so I guess I was lucky ;)

just order from amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Got Lord of The Rings Extended Edition from Zavvi too had 10% discount so brought it down to 19 euro was worried that it still might had got caught by customs but thankfully didn't. Didn't they used to take payments from Paypal had to enter credit card details on website thought it was strange

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Can anybody confirm the exact series of charges that will be added to a product if it's intercepted by Customs?

For example, if a product is listed as having a value of €50, will that mean 23% vat? (i.e. €11.50) + An post charge? Also, what is the An post charge for? (Zavvi's lack of postal expense or something else?) And is there any additional charge from customs?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nope, Royal Mail (not an Post) so likely they won't care.
    Would this be the same Royal Mail that was privatised a year ago and is now a "for profit" company with shareholders and the like ??

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Ive-received-a-card-asking-for-a-payment
    Receiving mail from countries outside the UK

All mail that enters the UK may be examined by Customs. Normally letters, postcards and parcels containing only documents or similar forms of correspondence are excluded.
    If you are receiving a parcel from a country outside the EU it may incur Customs charges. Any parcel assessed as being liable for Customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.
    Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 are liable to import VAT. Gifts between private individuals over the value of £36 are also liable for VAT. Goods and gifts over these values may also be liable for customs duty. You no longer have to pay Customs duty for goods up to the value of £135, however you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Just saw this now and am waiting on a game from Zavvi and its coming to £18.16, or €22.86. This would be harsh if they impose the VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I have a game on the way paid 48 for it hope i dont get hit

• Registered Users Posts: 45,900 ✭✭✭✭muffler

3 weeks ago I ordered a nexus 7 from them which cost £99 and had no bother at all with customs.

Just for the benefit of anyone who doesnt know, Zavvi and The Hut are one and the same so I cant really see customs singling out one business and ignoring the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Would this be the same Royal Mail that was privatised a year ago and is now a "for profit" company with shareholders and the like ??

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Ive-received-a-card-asking-for-a-payment

Zavvi assumes responsibility for UK VAT and customs chargers, if you look at http://www.zavvi.com/articles/terms-conditions.list they say:
    Orders with a delivery address outside the UK may be subject to import duties and taxes (including VAT) which are levied once a delivery reaches your destination country. Any such additional charges must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies and practices vary widely from country to country. We recommend that you contact your local customs office for information.

So ordering to service like Parcel Connect would put all liability on Zavvi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Got that game that came to just over €22 through the letter box today with no problems, happy days..

• Advertisement
Advertisement