Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zavvi + Customs - WARNING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

fdevine wrote: »
    Amazon ship mainly from mainland UK but items could be shipped from any of their European warehouses, including one in Coolock.

As Amazon charge the Irish VAT rate anyway it's not a problem and even if they didn't all the goods come from within the EU.

Zavvi, The Hut, Play, feelunique, 7dayshop amongst others all ship from the Channel Islands which is potentially a problem.

IIRC some Channel Islands e-tailers had entered an agreement to pay UK VAT in which case one should not have to pay Irish VAT also. The issue is VAT not being paid.

7dayshop ship from Kempston, in the UK now and charge Irish VAT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

chasm wrote: »
    7dayshop ship from Kempston, in the UK now and charge Irish VAT.

Once their trade goes over a certain level (think its 20k) they have to register and charge Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

there is bit more to this story - technically one should declare any €22+ package that he\she receives from outside EU and pay vat, while this can't be enforced under normal circumstances (as there is just too many parcels for customs to check and verify) failing to do that (on your own, after you receive it!) actually is a punishable offense (i learned that the hard way after buying a expensive set of lego off ebay, one year later US seller was under IRS investigation, they tipped off revenue, and i had to pay both vat and a €150 fine for avoiding vat on imported goods)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Amazon sneak that Irish tax cost onto only one of "confirm" pages so watch out. The price they list on the main site is no longer the price you pay even if you get free shipping.

Its Amazon UK so the prices shown are obviously going to be inclusive of UK VAT only.There is nothing sneaky about changing the VAT amount to Irish rates at the checkout, its something they are required to do when shipping here.There is no financial gain for Amazon as the tax collected goes to the Irish government.You could always use parcel motel to avoid paying the extra if the difference is substantial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

NATLOR wrote: »
    Its Amazon UK so the prices shown are obviously going to be inclusive of UK VAT only.There is nothing sneaky about changing the VAT amount to Irish rates at the checkout, its something they are required to do when shipping here.There is no financial gain for Amazon as the tax collected goes to the Irish government.You could always use parcel motel to avoid paying the extra if the difference is substantial.
    Plus they'd only know what other VAT rate to apply after you've selected the address to deliver to. I've addresses in four different countries saved for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Do-more wrote: »
    Funny how everything else goes up with inflation but the €22 allowance hasn't budged in years! :(

eu inflation is currently running at 0.5% in the past 12 months. so that will be €22.11c then

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

door wrote: »
    Keep us posted on what happens!

So I had ordered a game and a box set which were dispatched last week and I was concerned they were intercepted but the game showed up yesterday.

If the 65 quid boxset shows up ill update.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Keep us posted on what happens!

So just got word that there's a customs charge of 21 euro apparently on the way for this!

It's all true lads. Zavvi have been targeted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

So just got word that there's a customs charge of 21 euro apparently on the way for this!

It's all true lads. Zavvi have been targeted :(

Ah, I didn't make thw whole thing up you know!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Luna Moon Hunter

Does anyone know what's the story with ordering from Zavi and getting it delivered through Parcel Motel. It should be alright I'm guessing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Does anyone know what's the story with ordering from Zavi and getting it delivered through Parcel Motel. It should be alright I'm guessing?

It'll be rejected if there are charges on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Luna Moon Hunter

Do you think they would still apply the charge even though it's going to Belfast?

Do you think they would still apply the charge even though it's going to Belfast?

Nope, Royal Mail (not an Post) so likely they won't care.

Oh yeah, good point. I'm not sure about Guernsey to UK shipping, but I think you could be right - no charges.

Technically the charges do apply to the UK & NI as much as to here; but the difference is An Post and Irish Customs are actively targetting Zavvi packages and enforcing the charges/fines whereas the Royal Mail and UK Customs are turning a blind eye to it.

Technically the charges do apply to the UK & NI as much as to here; but the difference is An Post and Irish Customs are actively targetting Zavvi packages and enforcing the charges/fines whereas the Royal Mail and UK Customs are turning a blind eye to it.

Are you sure? Isn't there an agreement between the Channel Islands and UK regarding VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

It sounds like they just pay UK VAT:
    http://help.zavvi.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=34&id=170&artlang=en
    so there will be no tax/duty avoidance if ordered via Belfast.

Anyway I do not understand why people would have problem with that, Zavvi T&C are very clear:
    Orders with a delivery address outside the UK may be subject to import duties and taxes (including VAT) which are levied once a delivery reaches your destination country. Any such additional charges must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies and practices vary widely from country to country. We recommend that you contact your local customs office for information.

and you have to agree with them before they accept order. So why would anyone expect refund from Zavvi now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

September1 wrote: »

Anyway I do not understand why people would have problem with that, Zavvi T&C are very clear:

and you have to agree with them before they accept order. So why would anyone expect refund from Zavvi now?
    Because we want everything free :)

September1 wrote: »

Firstly, that's fairly well hidden in the T's & C's.

Secondly, the T's & C's themselves are faulty well hidden.

thirdly, most people would presume a selling site with a .co.uk domain adders would despatch from the UK.

Finally, I didn't expect a refund. Normally (as in every other time I've ordered from zavvi), it's gotten through ok. I originally started this thread as I didn't want anyone else to get the nasty surprise I got. I was trying to be helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

I had to pay it on a bottle of aftershave I bought from cheapsmells in Guersney before. Strangely though, their policy says:
    We prepay VAT on all orders sent to a UK delivery address. If you live outside the UK and are charged sales tax, it is our policy to refund you (with the exception of orders sent to Norway & Brazil).
    So I e-mailed them the receipt and they refunded both the VAT and handling charge. It was €18 and the aftershave cost €52.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

dmc17 wrote: »
    I had to pay it on a bottle of aftershave I bought from cheapsmells in Guersney before. Strangely though, their policy says:

So I e-mailed them the receipt and they refunded both the VAT and handling charge. It was €18 and the aftershave cost €52.
    Yeah, a lot of the chinese and taiwanese sellers do refunds on duties too, which is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Customs are cnuts anyway. I haven't been caught very often, but a couple of years ago a friend who lives in Dubai sent over a package with Christmas presents for me and the family. All small stuff, no great monetary value in it. It arrived with a demand for duty that I reckoned had to be worth more than the stuff actually cost, even though it was marked as a gift and therefore has a higher threshold than the €22 allowed for purchases. I never paid it as they'd given me the stuff already, but I doubt they do that any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

With regard to the €22 figure being the limit which customs wont charge VAT under, does this apply to the price you paid a company like Zavvi or the RRP the product has. I intend to get a box set priced at €16 from Zavvi but the RRP is €46. Thanks to those who know in advance :)

With regard to the €22 figure being the limit which customs wont charge VAT under, does this apply to the price you paid a company like Zavvi or the RRP the product has. I intend to get a box set priced at €16 from Zavvi but the RRP is €46. Thanks to those who know in advance :)

It's what you actually pay so you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Is the 22 euro per item or package?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

munster87 wrote: »
    Is the 22 euro per item or package?

Per package including shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Package or invoice if You like:)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

I bought €12 headphones from Zavvi and it took 2& a half weeks to get here .Sticker on the package said that it was investigated by customs .Obviously no charge but they held on to them to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Per package including shipping costs.

It's a little more complex. As far as I know, the 22 euro limit applies only to the goods. But if the goods are over this value, the resulting taxes and charges will apply to the goods and also to the shipping costs.

So, if you pay 21 euros for the goods, plus 10 euros shipping, there's no extra charge.
    If you pay 23 euros for the goods, plus 8 euros shipping, charges are calculated based on a value of 31 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

animaal wrote: »
    It's a little more complex. As far as I know, the 22 euro limit applies only to the goods. But if the goods are over this value, the resulting taxes and charges will apply to the goods and also to the shipping costs.

So, if you pay 21 euros for the goods, plus 10 euros shipping, there's no extra charge.
    If you pay 23 euros for the goods, plus 8 euros shipping, charges are calculated based on a value of 31 euros.

VAT in on the total value of the item + postage. Once this value is more than 22 VAT is payable. Well past a bargain alert now. Maybe we should be all over in the tax forum!

Advertisement