Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rearing Freisan bull calves?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

Use Gain milk replacer here it's abit on the dear side at €45 a bag, but seem to get less scour and calves seem more happy and full after a feed.. It is very inconsistent though..I found when I was using Volac that they were prone to scour

I was in a feed merchants the other day who was looking for that price for the cheap stuff, next year I will buy the 12 weeks supply in one go from the supplier that gives me the best price wont be stuck having to buy the dear stuff from a lad at 5 o'clock on a Saturday evening. Do the feed merchants in the west add on a bit because there isn't as much of it sold in these parts? haven't seen 'Gain' in any feed merchant here either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've seen 'Shine' mentioned several times on various threads on boards I have been to at least 6 different feed merchants since I began rearing calves this year and all I can seem to get is either Volac or Maverick, and an occasional brand that nobody has ever heard of. Does anyone know where it can be got west of the Shannon? Also prices vary between €39 a bag to €50 a bag which seems a ridiculous variation for the same stuff, also seems to be a bit like the supermarkets the lad who is dear with the milk replacer is cheap with the nuts and vv. Bloody marketing tricks

Glanbia do shine here in cork and a one local supplier sells it. If you look up their website and email them they will let you know where your nearest supplier is. I suppose west of the Shannon wouldn't be a great area for selling milk replacer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

We used gain here and found that there would be grit at the end of the bucket after feeding.
    Any one else see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

We used gain here and found that there would be grit at the end of the bucket after feeding.
    Any one else see this?

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Nope

Getting it after every single feed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

I was in a feed merchants the other day who was looking for that price for the cheap stuff, next year I will buy the 12 weeks supply in one go from the supplier that gives me the best price wont be stuck having to buy the dear stuff from a lad at 5 o'clock on a Saturday evening. Do the feed merchants in the west add on a bit because there isn't as much of it sold in these parts? haven't seen 'Gain' in any feed merchant here

I'm not sure but I think only glanbia places sell Gain(easy-mix) is its name if you decide on it... I find it good but as I said, it can be inconsistent that's maybe where greengrass is coming from?!?

Advertisement