Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rearing Freisan bull calves?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I'm after buying 8 freisan bull calves off a nieghbour, they're coming on Saturday and are approximately five weeks old...
    Any tips on rearing them?
    My plan is:
    • Fresh water, meal(calf crunch) & straw ad lib
    • Fresh bedding, cleaned out regularly
    • Feed them once a day maverick at 6 in the evening
    • Let them access to a paddock during the day at 8 weeks of age
    • Let them out full time at 10 weeks of age
    Any advice on the above appreciated, I haven't reared dairy calves in 10 years...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Sounds spot on, dont forget to blackeg also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've no experience if OAD.
    But be ready with other stuff that you'll need but can't get in a Sunday morning.

Good thermometer
    Isolation pen with heat lamp
    Electrolytes
    Kaolin powder
    Few scour tablets.
    Fine needle for syringe
    Drill with skim mixer is the only way to mix milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Get some bread soda. :D
    I used this 'homebrew' this year and it cleared up a calf scour (suckler calf) in about 12 hours. Glucose is just sugar, BTW.
    Dirt cheap and effective.

http://www.animalhealthireland.ie/ckfinder/userfiles/files/20130130%20CAC%20Electrolyte%20Solution.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I used this 'homebrew' this year and it cleared up a calf scour (suckler calf) in about 12 hours. Glucose is just sugar, BTW.

http://www.animalhealthireland.ie/ckfinder/userfiles/files/20130130%20CAC%20Electrolyte%20Solution.pdf

+1

Have been using that mix here for around 10 years with great results. 3 years ago 95% of calves needed it for 2 days each, every one survived.......that was some amount of bags of bread soda though!! Started vaccinating with rotavec corona after that.....haven't bought bread soda since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

+1

Have been using that mix here for around 10 years with great results. 3 years ago 95% of calves needed it for 2 days each, every one survived.......that was some amount of bags of bread soda though!! Started vaccinating with rotavec corona after that.....haven't bought bread soda since.

You'll be next to get scour, from all that aoud shop bread:o

• Advertisement

Glucose is not just sugar, its A sugar.

Glucose is something like twice as fast absorbed in the animal than regular sugar, its also easier to dissolve.

Giving regular sugar is not near as effective so you would need to give more, then there is an increased risk of the sugar making its way to the bowel where it will continue to draw water from the surrounding tissues, the extra water in the bowel then makes the scour worse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I stand corrected.:rolleyes:
    Where would you buy Glucose?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dunnes stores

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Feck ya Biddy, I was on my way to buy them and he told me " a woman who bought of me last year is coming for them, I'd say she will buy them"!

i bought 2 packs the last day i was getting them, girl at checkout said to me was i sure i wanted 2 packs, no one ever buys 2 packs of glucose:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

bbam wrote: »

Glucose is something like twice as fast absorbed in the animal than regular sugar, its also easier to dissolve.

Giving regular sugar is not near as effective so you would need to give more, then there is an increased risk of the sugar making its way to the bowel where it will continue to draw water from the surrounding tissues, the extra water in the bowel then makes the scour worse..
    Sugar as in table sugar is sucrose. Sucrose is 2 glucose molecules joined together. Sucrose needs to be broken down into 2 separate glucose molecules before it can be used. Glucose can be used straight away as is by cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

bbam wrote: »

Sugar as in table sugar is sucrose. Sucrose is 2 glucose molecules joined together. Sucrose needs to be broken down into 2 separate glucose molecules before it can be used. Glucose can be used straight away as is by cells.

glucose is also handy if a calf wont suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Feck ya Biddy, I was on my way to buy them and he told me " a woman who bought of me last year is coming for them, I'd say she will buy them"!
    she done you a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    glucose is also handy if a calf wont suck

Yep calve that's near dead.
    100 grammes per litre and he'll be bouncing off the walls in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Miname wrote: »
    she done you a favour.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Yes that is the mix it is the exact same as electrolyte except the put some citrus and Vitiman c in the one's you buy off a vet.

In any supermarket it is usually near baking products.
    i bought 2 packs the last day i was getting them, girl at checkout said to me was i sure i wanted 2 packs, no one ever buys 2 packs of glucose:D

Ha I remember buying 4-6 bags at the time of glucose, used to always feed it to calves after they were bought in either before or after first milk feed. I was lazy used to go to the evening mart buy my calves, leave them in the sales ring it used to be bedded with sawdust and collect following morning. Mart would not be finished until 10pm.

Another tip OP if the farmer you are buying off is feeding them milk replacer, buy the same brand. Always found that maverick was one of the stronger milk replacer's and it could scour calves that were not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Does everyone just give one dose of electro light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

Does everyone just give one dose of electro light

no at least 4 ie: twice for 2 days and keep the milk in the diet .. had a group all scouring together so gave them electrolytes at their usual milk feeding time and then milk midday and later in evening ... they were used to feeding at the usual time and took the electrolytes no bother and obviously were mad for milk at any time .. saved bottling a heap of them individually ,saved a heap of time....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

no at least 4 ie: twice for 2 days and keep the milk in the diet .. had a group all scouring together so gave them electrolytes at their usual milk feeding time and then milk midday and later in evening ... they were used to feeding at the usual time and took the electrolytes no bother and obviously were mad for milk at any time .. saved bottling a heap of them individually ,saved a heap of time....

That is the beauty of the electrolyte mix it costs less than 50c/two litres I think so it is not too expensive to bulk feed or to use on bough in calves for first feed etc.

• Advertisement

Dunnes stores

Tried tesco yesterday had no luck, wil venture to dunnes later maybe.
    Is it in a bag like sugar?

Tried tesco yesterday had no luck, wil venture to dunnes later maybe.
    Is it in a bag like sugar?
    it is a clear bag,with orange on it, it will be with the baking stuff. Alot of shops dont sell it any more as it doesnt really sell iykwim.

Glucose

Glucose

Thanks heading to town later will get sone

Lads what intervals should they be say if I had a shook calf in the morning and wanted to give it milk, scour tab and electrolites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

locky76 wrote: »
    I'm after buying 8 freisan bull calves off a nieghbour, they're coming on Saturday and are approximately five weeks old...
    Any tips on rearing them?
    My plan is:
    • Fresh water, meal(calf crunch) & straw ad lib
    • Fresh bedding, cleaned out regularly
    • Feed them once a day maverick at 6 in the evening
    • Let them access to a paddock during the day at 8 weeks of age
    • Let them out full time at 10 weeks of age
    Any advice on the above appreciated, I haven't reared dairy calves in 10 years...
    kevthegaff wrote: »
    Sounds spot on, dont forget to blackeg also
    Except for the Maverick use shine once a day instead it's made with skim milk takes longer to digest and little or no scour. Whey based runs through a calf and they don't thrive on it, from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Except for the Maverick use shine once a day instead it's made with skim milk takes longer to digest and little or no scour. Whey based runs through a calf and they don't thrive on it, from my experience.

Never heard that before alright. I'm using volac here and a good few calves would have fairly watery dungs on OAD so I had to stop them

Lads what intervals should they be say if I had a shook calf in the morning and wanted to give it milk, scour tab and electrolites ?

Give the electrolytes 20 minutes before milk feed. This way electrolyte has been absorbed and the calf will get the best of the feed. He'll also feel better and so be easier fed.
    The scour tablet I'd just give before feed. Not sure if there is a better time.

If the calf is weak you could add an egg or two to the milk. Good to build them up. And feed three times a day for a few days is no harm either.(that's three versus two feeds, not three OAD feeds)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

I've seen 'Shine' mentioned several times on various threads on boards I have been to at least 6 different feed merchants since I began rearing calves this year and all I can seem to get is either Volac or Maverick, and an occasional brand that nobody has ever heard of. Does anyone know where it can be got west of the Shannon? Also prices vary between €39 a bag to €50 a bag which seems a ridiculous variation for the same stuff, also seems to be a bit like the supermarkets the lad who is dear with the milk replacer is cheap with the nuts and vv. Bloody marketing tricks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Use Gain milk replacer here it's abit on the dear side at €45 a bag, but seem to get less scour and calves seem more happy and full after a feed.. It is very inconsistent though..I found when I was using Volac that they were prone to scour

Advertisement