Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

B5 passat wont stay true, keeps pulling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

hi all got this sorted, I toke it to a vw garage and they realigned my subframe, apparentally it was moved when replaceing bottom arms,, the car is now perfect, cost was 90 euros tho and toke them just over 2 hours to give me my car back,, they also did a full 4 wheel alinement and checked cambers etc, they said its at factory spec now and the car drives straight
    Thanks for everyone who helped me I appreciate it alot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

hi all got this sorted, I toke it to a vw garage and they realigned my subframe, apparentally it was moved when replaceing bottom arms,, the car is now perfect, cost was 90 euros tho and toke them just over 2 hours to give me my car back,, they also did a full 4 wheel alinement and checked cambers etc, they said its at factory spec now and the car drives straight
    Thanks for everyone who helped me I appreciate it alot

Excellent. A full alignment report would have highlighted this straight away as your camber would have been very different from side to side.
    Just shows that so called alignment when they only look at toe settings are not worth crap.

I kno I couldn't believe it! the subframe was 2mm to the left so it made my wheels sit wrong,,, sort of like / / if ya get me!

im still shocked the subframe could be moved and set I never tought this could be done, according to the vw man its ok to loosen one side to do a bottom arm but when both sides are loosened for any reason (arms, engine etc) that its very hard to get them on right

well worth the 90 quid,,, altho v dear my car is perfect now thanks again all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

great news the holes in the bushings are bigger than the bolts fitted to allow movement if needed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thats great you have it sorted, and good information from the other contributors. The old saying of "do one side at a time" holds true.

I was about to pitch in just FYI but one some of the Mercs when you replace the bottom two arms the inner bush is the be left loose until all weight is one the vehicle before final torque is set. This can cause uneven ride height and steering issues and is also the major cause of inner bush failure. I have seen so many of these arms fitted on a two post ramp with no regard for the procedure.

• Advertisement

I understand, I wonder if that is the case on a Passat as the rear bottom arm (their is 2 each side) has a small grove in it where the bolt goes, as if to allow for movement, id say that could be what it is for? can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

There's no adjustment in any of the arms on the Passat where the bolt to the car or the uprights. The behaviour of the suspension is quite complex and carefully designed, so allowing that kind of adjustment gives mechanics too many ways to inadvertently make a mess of it. It's a little bit of a pain for maintenance, but when it's all working properly it makes for a very nice drive.

Advertisement