Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

drumswan wrote: »
    GBB dont have a monopoly on craft beer you know.

And we dont have enough craft beer bars in Dublin. Theres only about six or seven decent ones.

Everywhere could do with more but especially somewhere like Limerick which has just one now. Galway city centre could do with another couple as well, help with competition and give us craft imbibing folk more choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Everywhere could do with more but especially somewhere like Limerick which has just one now. Galway city centre could do with another couple as well, help with competition and give us craft imbibing folk more choice.
    Theres money in it. Someone from Limerick could open one instead of waiting for GBB to come in and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I doubt it was GBB related, I'd say it was more to do with anger issues, or at least that's what it was last time.

Ah I know. He got very wound up over other issues.

Still, for old time's sake, in case he's lurking... Hey Seaneh, GBB are useless!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ah I know. He got very wound up over other issues.

Still, for old time's sake, in case he's lurking... Hey Seaneh, GBB are useless!! :D

Ah, now, not useless - but what a bunch of price gougers ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

New location just announced: The Rathgar, which I believe is in Rathgar. It used to be The 108 before it was knocked and rebuilt a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    New location just announced: The Rathgar, which I believe is in Rathgar. It used to be The 108 before it was knocked and rebuilt a few years back.
    Can anybody confirm this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Can anybody confirm this?

The leap is simply too great. It's still too early to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yet another Dublin Premises on the horizon.

Small boozer over by Christchurch called Ryan's has been added to the ever-expanding GBB operation.

No food will be on offer, it's a small enough boozer, but decent.

That's a nice bar actually.

I'd say the B&C are only delighted with the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Damn these unscrupulous pub chains taking over our pubs and killing the traditional Irish boozer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's a nice bar actually.

I'd say the B&C are only delighted with the news.

It's as close to the B&C as Th* N*rsem*n is.

Also, if it whips the B&C into shape then it's a good thing - I was in there just after Xmas and they had no IPA on tap :eek:

In fairness, on Saturday they did have Gasman - which is a beautiful beer.

and at €6.50 a pint is amazing value (7.x%)

It's as close to the B&C as Th* N*rsem*n is.

Eh, no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I know Ryan's, was in there once. Never went back. It was one of those pubs advertising €3 pints at the door, though no sign of it once you got in. Cosy place too.

I wonder will this be the cask and whiskey bar that was talked about last year but never appeared.

Due to open mid-April, and will be called The Beer Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Due to open mid-April, and will be called The Beer Market.

They also mentioned they're going to be doing something different than the rest of their pubs.

Maybe one with cheaper prices :P.

In all seriousness though, it might be only their own beers on draught.

It's a small enough boozer.

No food? Shed loads of Casks? Would that even work in Dublin once the novelty wears off, it's out past the B&C, so location is fairly Southside-centric - for example, if I want to go to a GBB pub, I have the Black Sheep and Brew Dock closer to me, and if I want well maintained cask, LMG is where I'd head (or BD to be fair)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Desperate Mile, a US hopped sour is being released this week. Deliveries starting tomorrow. Sour is the new IPA don't ye's know?

11057945_661406040652831_2291975545805424040_n.jpg?oh=7e5d83d52dd8bd26a5c8e8898c3b425c&oe=55B2340C

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kind of makes sense a little bit, with the dollar hitting parity I'd imagine we'll see less hop bombs from ireland breweries and more stuff like sours etc.

Saison is the new IPA, Sour is the new Saison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

kind of makes sense a little bit, with the dollar hitting parity I'd imagine we'll see less hop bombs from ireland breweries and more stuff like sours etc.

:(

Damn you Belgium and you're horrible beer styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Oh yes, sour beers, probably the oldest beer style there is, is just a modern hipster bait.

I for one am happy that there is going to be a wider range of different beer styles made in Ireland, and don't care about what trend is trending what #trend. If the #trend makes it possible for me to enjoy better and more varied beers, it's a winning outcome for me.

Hopefully that'll be the first decent Irish sour I get to try. If we start getting more BA beers and sours around, we'll see even more price gouge blaming on here, so get yer pop corns ready!

snowblind wrote: »
    Oh yes, sour beers, probably the oldest beer style there is, is just a modern hipster bait.

I for one am happy that there is going to be a wider range of different beer styles made in Ireland, and don't care about what trend is trending what #trend. If the #trend makes it possible for me to enjoy better and more varied beers, it's a winning outcome for me.

Hopefully that'll be the first decent Irish sour I get to try. If we start getting more BA beers and sours around, we'll see even more price gouge blaming on here, so get yer pop corns ready!
    And proper order too. Sure aren't they saving money on the yeast?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

And proper order too. Sure aren't they saving money on the yeast?!

True wild beer are a different breed, you can by may of the sour bug mixes to produce pseudo Lambics (plambic) Flemish reds etc

Berliner weisse are probably the easiest to replicate as the grain has all the lacto and souring can be done on the mash tun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's a small enough boozer.

No food? Shed loads of Casks? Would that even work in Dublin once the novelty wears off, it's out past the B&C, so location is fairly Southside-centric - for example, if I want to go to a GBB pub, I have the Black Sheep and Brew Dock closer to me, and if I want well maintained cask, LMG is where I'd head (or BD to be fair)

It's a little close to me than those other bars you mention and that's not mentioning Alfie's, the Headline and ATG as well. Even then, it will want to be something pretty special to get me in the door compared to the other guys.

what on earth
    It will be Irelands first vending machine boozer. No actual bar staff (just a bouncer on the door checking ID) & 10 vending machines with craft cans from around the world. All at 3.50e a pop.

Technically its not a food bar but there will be a vending machine with mccains micro chips.

What happens with the whole "not allowed to serve drunks" thing?

It's a genuinely innovative idea, but is it doomed to fail?

what on earth

Haha. That's mad. So it'll be an off licence then?

Prices may be a bit on the steep side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Where is that quote from?

Edit: never mind, it's from Beoir via someone pretending to be one of the brewers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

what on earth

If this is true there would still need to be staff to keep an eye on things, restock the machines, provide and wash glassware (if this is provided).

• Advertisement

Sorry yeah, Beoir, it was sent to me in an email from my brother who saw it on the Beoir site.

I was too lazy to find the link :P

Advertisement