Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That'd be a great spot for one. Serious competition for the Black Sheep if they do open up there.

I agree. And since we're all free-market capitalists here on Boards the competition can only be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i would say that if they opened in that location there is a lot of other pubs in that location that should be more worried than the black sheep, cant see their custom dropping by much at all, i could nearly argue that their trade could increase as more beer type will go to spoons for food and cask and then move onto the black sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

adamski8 wrote: »
    i would say that if they opened in that location there is a lot of other pubs in that location that should be more worried than the black sheep, cant see their custom dropping by much at all, i could nearly argue that their trade could increase as more beer type will go to spoons for food and cask and then move onto the black sheep.

Yeah like Black Sheep has the wide range and constantly changing etc.. But gonna be hard to stomach paying their prices for cask if it's 4.25 round the corner for the Irish stuff. Maybe wetherspoons will buy some cask Full sail from them!

Meh you could argue that for all the restaurants around that area. Id certainly visit spoons but most of their cask is the same boring english ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I go to galway bay's pubs for Galway bay's beer and some of their other exciting stuff they have.
    I don't go for the cheap beer, if I did I'd buy bav every time I want beer.

I'd be much more worried if I was a pub that charged 7 quid for mass produced lager etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭howyanow

The EuroSpar in kilmainham also have the Galway Bay range along with other craft beers for the last few months for those of you looking for them in that area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is Alfie Byrnes owned by them too?Seems lika d4 hipster place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

sasta le wrote: »

Alfie Byrnes BY GBB.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no GBB Branding in the bar, however the staff are GBB seemingly.

I was not impressed with the place when I went there, and won't be rushing back to it.

I really like it, table tennis, cask, nice rotating draught selection and a great beer garden area out front. Nice quite location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

+1 for Alfie Byrne's. It's not as in your face as the other bars but it is a cool place. It's a lot more relaxed for the most part but it can also get very busy at certain times. By far the most spacious of all the Dublin bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

sasta le wrote: »

D4 hipsters? I think you're mixing your stereotypes ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

No sport at all in the Salthouse from now on. Don't understand this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jh79 wrote: »

Never was originally, no harm, plenty of pubs in town who never turn the tv off.

Never was originally, no harm, plenty of pubs in town who never turn the tv off.

Don't thing this will last the crappy Manu Chau music isn't going to to get the customer s in on a Sat / Sun afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Really?

This was a tweet from the Salthouse yesterday:

Salt House @SaltHouseGalway 20h
    Beer, more beer, sport and music today. Community shield kick off at 3. Live bluegrass session from 7

Really?

This was a tweet from the Salthouse yesterday:

Salt House @SaltHouseGalway 20h
    Beer, more beer, sport and music today. Community shield kick off at 3. Live bluegrass session from 7

Went in at 3 , big screen wasn't on, asked about the match, was told I wasn't the first to ask but it wasn't going on. He said they showed the World Cup matches and hopefully that was the end of sport on the big screen for them.

Place was pretty quiet maybe 5 people hard to judge, given it was the Charity Shield, whether this was due to the lack of sport on the big screen.

Don't thing this will last the crappy Manu Chau music isn't going to to get the customer s in on a Sat / Sun afternoon.

Generic sports fans, stags and Heineken drinkers arent the Salt House clientele so i doubt it will hit them hard.

Generic sports fans, stags and Heineken drinkers arent the Salt House clientele so i doubt it will hit them hard.

They always get a good crowd for the football on a Sat / Sun . Some people like craft beer and sport.

What is a generic sports fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Im amazed they showed sport in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Eh? Are you a craft sports fan then??

The poster enjoys watching sports and drinking craft beer. He's entitled to be annoyed the Salt House doesn't show sports anymore. This condescending attitude puts people off the craft beer scene.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Im amazed they showed sport in the first place

They tried to be sports/tv free in the Scholar's Rest when they first took it over. It was a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I watched the odd Ireland rugby match in there when I find myself in Galway during a game. It was the best place to watch it in Galway. Great beer, large screen and a cozy atmosphere.
    I don't like bars showing sports for the sake of it but when it's a big Ireland game, that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

There's room for both. When there's no sports on it's nice to go in and not have TV's blaring but it would be nice to have a craft beer pub that showed sports too so that you have that choice too.

When I go to watch a match on a Saturday / Sunday I normally go for 2 pints and maybe some lunch. That would be the perfect time to be able to go in and try a couple of new beers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Personally I love TV-free pubs, (I'll tolerate a pub that has sports on. I bloody hate pubs that have a gazillion screens, either all showing random channels, or Sky News on mute) but I get the impression there isn't a huge market out there for TV-free.

I don't see any reason why a pub can't sell craft beer and show matches, I think craft beer has to come out of its ghetto and appeal to more people. There's no reason why people should have to choose between watching a match and having decent beer, they're not mutually exclusive.

It'd be a lot better if we had a situation like in England, where there's less of a black and white situation between 'poncy' craft beer places and 'ordinary' pubs, althought that could take another twenty years to happen in Ireland. If it ever happens, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's getting there already, more and more pubs offer at least one craft beer, my local now even has one on tap!

All we need is the price to come down and craft beer can take over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

If that's true it's a bad idea I've been drinking there since it opened and it's one of the few places that will show rugby always a big crowd in for 6nations games

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This condescending attitude puts people off the craft beer scene.
    People who regard craft beer as a scene rather than a drink are doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I go to the football every week but I have no interest in drinking in a pub with screens showing Hull vs Reading or bloody GAA on every wall. Down with bars which show sport I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

BeerNut wrote: »
    People who regard craft beer as a scene rather than a drink are doing it wrong.

That's very true. I took exception to someone who enjoys watching "generic" sport being bracketed with Heineken swilling stag parties.

Likewise people who enjoy craft beers aren't one homogeneous group - i.e. who hate sports and just want to play connect four in the pub.

You're right, there shouldn't be any "scene".

• Advertisement

Eh? Are you a craft sports fan then??

The poster enjoys watching sports and drinking craft beer. He's entitled to be annoyed the Salt House doesn't show sports anymore. This condescending attitude puts people off the craft beer scene.

did i say he couldn't ask, i simply pointed out that the salt house used not show sport at all and that a generic sports fan,the generic relates to the word fan if you're struggling with it,can watch pretty much any match in most pubs around town,i understand why salthouse don't want to as it would increase the stag type crowd which they don't usually allow in.

Advertisement