Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good economic news thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I blame FG/Labour

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

500m worth of 6 month treasury bills sold at -0.22%.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0310/773904-ntma-treasury-bills/

I know the last time we sold treasury bills they were sold at negative interest rates but I believe that was just under 0% so this is still a nice drop. I still find it hard to believe that people are literally paying us to take their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We must be the only civilised country in the western world that would turf a government out on the back of growth figures like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I know the last time we sold treasury bills they were sold at negative interest rates but I believe that was just under 0% so this is still a nice drop. I still find it hard to believe that people are literally paying us to take their money.

Yip. Amazing stuff. And -.22% aint shabby.

We must be the only civilised country in the western world that would turf a government out on the back of growth figures like that.

Expecting people to pay for utilities. That'll learn 'em.

Planned issuance of €6-€10bn is quite a large range.

Hoping we do more than that tbh, nice and slow and steady, don't spook anyone, but lets get some refinancing done.

Planned issuance of €6-€10bn is quite a large range.

Hoping we do more than that tbh, nice and slow and steady, don't spook anyone, but lets get some refinancing done.

Most debt is fixed, think they've paid off most of what they could/allowed to.

I suppose what they could do, is when long term debt matures, replace with lots of T bills :D

Just thinking. They were 2.9 times oversubscribed.

They should have gone back and said... Sorry, did I say €500m, I meant to say €1.4 Billion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Let's build some ****! It's so frustrating. We need a direct train link from Dublin City to the Airport, we need no buildings allowed below 50m in the Docklands/IFSC and a tax rebate for building/refurbing residential inside the canals. Outside Dublin, it's improving health infrastructure and finishing ghost estates and turning them into social housing with adequate transport links.

Let's build some ****! It's so frustrating. We need a direct train link from Dublin City to the Airport, we need no buildings allowed below 50m in the Docklands/IFSC and a tax rebate for building/refurbing residential inside the canals. Outside Dublin, it's improving health infrastructure and finishing ghost estates and turning them into social housing with adequate transport links.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057571224

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It's a clear sign that there is serious financial turmoil on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Rightwing wrote: »
    It's a clear sign that there is serious financial turmoil on the way.

Not necessarily...

more likely just a sign of torpor.
    The continent is treading water..... well except for Ireland, somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Not necessarily...

more likely just a sign of torpor.
    The continent is treading water..... well except for Ireland, somehow?

You have to look at it from a global perspective. Ireland is tiny.

All the major economies are struggling big time, neg. int rates, QE programmes, they are not working, apart from propping up inflated stock indices, and bond bubbles. These will eventually have to pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Dart Undergound - YES
    Cork to Limerick motorway - YES
    Galway bypass - YES
    Metro North - YES
    National Children's hospital - YES
    National Maternity Hospital - YES
    Superfast broadband to villages/towns with population of 2,000-plus - YES

1GB broadband to every house in the country - WASTE OF MONEY

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Rightwing wrote: »
    You have to look at it from a global perspective. Ireland is tiny.

All the major economies are struggling big time, neg. int rates, QE programmes, they are not working, apart from propping up inflated stock indices, and bond bubbles. These will eventually have to pop.

The overall situation is currently stalled, with the possibility of sliding back into recession (slowly). Alternatively things could also teeter forward, hence the market uncertainty. Unlikely things are going to "pop" like 2007... more like a fizzle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

That is from 2014, what has happened since?

It is to 500,000 premises in 50 towns, which is an average of 10,000 premises per town.

I have already said:

"Superfast broadband to villages/towns with population of 2,000-plus - YES"

So that kind of project fits neatly with it.

However, I still believe

"1GB broadband to every house in the country - WASTE OF MONEY"

It becomes prohibitively expensive once you go beyond the bigger towns/villages.

• Advertisement

Better still... rural communities should look at the need & cost of a bafflingly fast 1gbps internet speed & weigh up whether it is something they really want to have (and pay for).

Certainly to me, such a thing is beyond reasonable necessity.

Then what is stopping them!

If a rural community want's something, then do it.

Neither do I.
    I live in a down with less than 7,000 population.

You seem to miss my poing (I admit it wasn't well made).

Dubliners don't need to 'pick up a shovel'.
    If the tax generated by Dubliners was actually spent in Dublin, they would have Metros coming out their ears.

But, there is no real local governance, no localisation of taxation or expenditure....
    Dubliners could have more, but they have the rest of the nation to pay for.

Your call roll out BB, treble the speed of the fastest Dublin speeds (still have no idea why it would have to be so fast) should be something ideally that those communities pay for themselves.

I'd like to see more localisation.
    You can have your vast internet speed, but I think it wrong for the nation to pay for something treble the quality of what the best is available in cities.

That doesn't benefit the nation.... just the rural benefactors already enjoying a vast imbalance in tax transfers.

Public expenditure, per capita is greatly imbalanced towards those living in Rural areas.

I recall Permabear putting up a chart a couple of years back...
    In it's most extreme example, (Dublin vs Leitrim) there was €17 spent on each Leitrim resident for every €1 spent on a Dublin resident...
    But for most of the country it several multiples.

• Advertisement

I can't find the one from Permabear, but I'm pretty sure it refererd to local authority expenditure (rather than overall).

However I did find this from Scofflaw, its 2007 data, but you get the jist..... also it excludes capital expenditure

Advertisement