Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehab CEO to step down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Valetta wrote: »
    Because they are a private organisation who do not receive government funding.

So you do not count the funds they receive from the charitable lotteries fund ?
    The charitable lotteries fund was established in 1997 by the Government to provide additional finance to private charitable lotteries whose products were in direct competition with the National Lottery.

Oh and an audit of that fund revealed ....
    The audit said Rehab had received €25.86 million between 2007 and 2011 under the scheme.

Now bad seeing that they were only making a few cent on each actual ticket sold. :rolleyes:

AFAIK €4m of scratch card sales raised just €9,452 for the charity in 2010.
    They provide a service to the government and get paid accordingly.

If the government think they are not getting value for money, they are perfectly entitled to go elswhere.

Likewise people who donate to Rehab are perfectly entitled to spend their money elswhere.

What Rehab pay their executives is their own business.

And what the general public do the next time someone waves a card in front of them is their business.
    I cannot believe someone is condoning the sh** these people got up to and the gall they have displayed.

Perhaps also someone can investigate the company owned by her, her husband and frank flannery (ex CEO) that subcontracted to REHAB ?

BTW has she resigned form any state boards of which she is still a member ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Well then I wonder why all the secrecy. If they owe nothing to the government or the public, or if the public think that they are a private organisation, why has this exploded in the media?

I have no idea. Perhaps ask the media?

The service that you speak of - that they supply to the government ..... has this ever been put out to tender?
    Again I don't know, but would like to think it was put out to tender.

People who donate to Rehab will now think twice about paying for her string of pearls.
    As said above, it's their free choice.

As regards the government getting value for money? They certainly should cast their net.

Why do you think that her salary was being kept secret? Protocol or the fact that the wage was obscene? After all she herself said that there should be transparency ......... but failed at the first hurdle.
    They are a private organisation, so salaries of senior executives would be confidential as is the norm in any business.

The company I work for supplies to the government from time to time.

If we are not competitive we don't get the business.

Should my salary and that of our MD be made public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

"Perhaps also someone can investigate the company owned by her, her husband and frank flannery (ex CEO) that subcontracted to REHAB "?

There is a real conflict of interest here, But not in her deluded mind. This company was formed purely for greed. Perhaps Valetta will explain the altruistic reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

You are now comparing ORANGES with ORANGUTANS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Does your company sell lottery tickets and pass itself off as a charity when it suits ?

Ps the lottery tickeys don't really have to make a profit since you can avail of state funds to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

she shouldnt have been allowed to resign or retire, she should have been sacked and had her gold plated pension pulled from under her ass.

she shouldnt have been allowed to resign or retire, she should have been sacked and had her gold plated pension pulled from under her ass.

Why would her emoyers, who by all accounts were more than happy with her performance, sack her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

since ye talk of lottery tickets, i got fifteen for my birthday those all cash thingies, as a present, and after all that scratching i did not win a cent, my thoughts then and there were people are being fleeced, and others are having it good on them

Why would her emoyers, who by all accounts were more than happy with her performance, sack her?

lol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Posted these to the Independent and they removed them:

"Basically because the pay experts her organisation paid to review her salary cooked the books. They compared her salary with Chief Executives of actual commercial companies where they have to sell goods and services and make a profit. Her job is essentially an admin job, and should never ever have been so compared. Her salary should never have exceeded about 130k at the very most."

"Basically because the pay experts 'she' paid to review her salary cooked the books. They compared her salary with Chief Executives of actual commercial companies where they have to sell goods and services and make a profit. Her job is essentially an admin job, and should never ever have been so compared. Her salary should never have exceeded about 130k at the very most."

• Advertisement

This makes no rational sense whatsoever. It is the Board of the organisation that appointed her and enabled her to oversee the very salary reviews that conveniently recommended the ridiculous salary she is paid.

I simply do not see a basis on which they could sack her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Because they are a private organisation who do not receive government funding.

They provide a service to the government and get paid accordingly.

If the government think they are not getting value for money, they are perfectly entitled to go elswhere.

Likewise people who donate to Rehab are perfectly entitled to spend their money elswhere.

What Rehab pay their executives is their own business.

they were getting 40 million euro a year from the government,rehab paid handicapped workers 1.15 euro per hour government made it up to the minimum wages is what i read on the matter, it was all in the irish mail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Me hole!
    Rehab don't get state handouts, they sell their services to the state, a state which could, but chooses not provide those services directly.
    By your logic any individual receiving child benefit, mortgage relief, or the pension should have to publish their personal financial details.

As a charity they are VAT exempt, so they are funded in part by the government via the VAT that they do not have to pay.

As a charity they are VAT exempt, so they are funded in part by the government via the VAT that they do not have to pay.

VAT on what?

The only 'sales" they have is to the state, so they would be charging VAT to the government and then paying it back to them.

In actual fact because they are VAT exempt they cannot reclaim VAT on their inputs so the state gains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    It will (her pension) come out in the wash. Remember, she would not divulge her salary .......... if she had been upfront at the start she would still be in a job.
    I think that it should be compulsory for all jobs that receive government funding (this includes all Civil Servants - even the uncivil ones) that their salaries should be known to the public. Why not ....... unless they feel a bit guilty about doing so little for their wonga.
    Let the public vote on how much their pretty snouts can extract from the trough.

+1. The ordinary people are fed up with quangos and people with state associations and government associations with their snout in the trough.
    I bet the ****** will get a pension 5 or ten times what the ordinary worker gets too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

They are not automatically VAT exempt, charities do not have a vat exemption.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/faqs-charities.html
    Is an organisation that has been granted charitable tax exemption exempt from VAT

No. There is no general VAT exemption for charities. However, there are a number of specific reliefs from VAT which may relate to charitable activities and are outlined in information leaflet: VAT and Charities.

barney4001 wrote: »
    they were getting 40 million euro a year from the government,rehab paid handicapped workers 1.15 euro per hour government made it up to the minimum wages is what i read on the matter, it was all in the irish mail

And they are given the privilege of being a charity. Thus they are answerable to the Gov and people to a certain extent.

VAT on what?

The only 'sales" they have is to the state, so they would be charging VAT to the government and then paying it back to them.

In actual fact because they are VAT exempt they cannot reclaim VAT on their inputs so the state gains.

If they are VAT exempt that means they do not have to pay VAT on their costs. A major saving.

Piliger wrote: »
    If they are VAT exempt that means they do not have to pay VAT on their costs. A major saving.

Please explain how the state are losing out by Rehab being VAT exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I think it is a disgrace that anyone can earn what she earned in a semi charity situation, I don't care if she was paid out of fundraising or tax money or from selling products from the service, it's far too big a slice.

I don't know her, don't know how well she performed or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

They are not VAT exempt, no charity is VAT exempt.

I didn't say the State is losing out.

They are not VAT exempt, no charity is VAT exempt.

What is their VAT status do you know ?

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I think it is a disgrace that anyone can earn what she earned in a semi charity situation, I don't care if she was paid out of fundraising or tax money or from selling products from the service, it's far too big a slice.

I don't know her, don't know how well she performed or anything.

The joke is She supervised the choice of consultants tasked to establish her salary. Then the consultants compared her with CEOs of commercial organisations. This is a totally inappropriate comparison. She has no profit making responsibility. She is essentially an over paid admin person. She should never have been paid more than 130k, if that.

Piliger wrote: »
    This makes no rational sense whatsoever. It is the Board of the organisation that appointed her and enabled her to oversee the very salary reviews that conveniently recommended the ridiculous salary she is paid.

I simply do not see a basis on which they could sack her.

a 10k profit on €4million worth of sales would get most CEO's sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

a 10k profit on €4million worth of sales would get most CEO's sacked.

A sticky wicket they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Drive time says Flannery not appearing either...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

efb wrote: »

What a <snip> she is!

Another fianna fail hero <snip> and rides off into the sunset with no repercussions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

What a <snip> she is!

Another fianna fail hero <snip> and rides off into the sunset with no repercussions!

you took the the words right out of my fingers

off into the sunset with bertie and the rest what a <snip>
    how much more of this S*IT do we have to wade through as a nation

Advertisement