Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Things that put people off cycling..

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The issue of bicyclists going through red lights at busy pedestrian crossings needs to be met with on the spot fines of €20. And have the pedal-cycle Gardai in the city/town centers visibly enforcing this.
    There is already a spot fine of €50 for running a red light. Just nobody enforcing it.
    At the same time a Jaywalking law needs to be brought in and enforced, I think this would make city center or town cycling a bit safer for all.
    One already exists in the form of "do not cross within 50 metres of a designated crossing" but is similarly not enforced.

I would favour the creation of a 'pedestrian has priority' law for city/town centres. This would slow all traffic down and make the place safer for all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would be interesting if the same survey was carried out here:
    A study of British adults’ attitudes to cycling has found that a large number want to cycle more for everyday short journeys but feel unable to do so because they find sharing the roads with cars, buses and lorries too scary.

One reason why people havent started cycling even thought they say they’d like to is lack of confidence. In the 2013 survey, 34% of GB adults agreed that, ‘I’m not confident enough to consider cycling’.

New cyclists want to be protected from motorised traffic, and this may be why as many as 65% of GB adults support an increase in funding to support more cycling for everyday journeys. Indeed, and contrary to the ‘road wars’ anti-cycling media hysteria of recent times, cycling is very warmly regarded by all but a few.

“At the moment enormous budgets are allocated to road building without any opposition, and yet much more modest recommendations for cycling are prevented from happening. This surely needs to change.”

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Would be interesting if the same survey was carried out here:

I wonder how many time "Road Tax" would be mentioned in such a survey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Having lived in the UK for a while (drove but never cycled there), I would say they have more of a problem with aggression on the roads. Much more hostile environment IMHO.

It's very rare I've been beeped off the road or shouted at while cycling here. Yes, the odd a$$, but thankfully in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Having lived in the UK for a while (drove but never cycled there), I would say they have more of a problem with aggression on the roads. Much more hostile environment IMHO.

It's very rare I've been beeped off the road or shouted at while cycling here. Yes, the odd a$$, but thankfully in the minority.

A family member has emigrated to the UK and his experience is the same, vastly more aggressive and my own would confirm that too.

My fear is more that we're heading in the same direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

cdaly_ wrote: »
    There is already a spot fine of €50 for running a red light. Just nobody enforcing it.

One already exists in the form of "do not cross within 50 metres of a designated crossing" but is similarly not enforced.

I would favour the creation of a 'pedestrian has priority' law for city/town centres. This would slow all traffic down and make the place safer for all...

Its 15 metres AFAIK.

A family member has emigrated to the UK and his experience is the same, vastly more aggressive and my own would confirm that too.
    My fear is more that we're heading in the same direction.

As the numbers of cycle users increases I think it will get to a stage where a lot of people will also have a bicycle and a car, and as result have a greater appreciation for road-cycle users.

Once novice cycle users have consideration for others whilst on the road, cycling 3-abreast/in a group at 15kph for example.. Forget about car users but it's a pain having to squeeze your way through slow moving groups of cycle users out on the roads or cycle-paths.

I would always recommend that anyone starting out and getting into longer distance riding, sportives or racing should join an established cycling club to learn how to ride the road safely and correctly...

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Could be worse, have you read reports of cycling in Sydney Australia? It's like open war! The roads there are massive and there's open aggression towards bicyclists.
    They even have a radio "Shock-jock" that makes George Hook at his worst look like a little lamb!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Could be worse, have you read reports of cycling in Sydney Australia? It's like open war! The roads there are massive and there's open aggression towards bicyclists.
    They even have a radio "Shock-jock" that makes George Hook at his worst look like a little lamb!

They are also trying to repeal an anti-racism law there too on the basis that people have the right to say offensive things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    They are also trying to repeal an anti-racism law there too on the basis that people have the right to say offensive things!

They're also trying to ban the boycott of corporations on environmental grounds... yet they want to save the whales from the terrible Japs?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a mad place!

The Roads minister fighting with the Mayor of Sydney, who basically wants to remove a lot of the cycle infra which has been installed by the city.
    They also have the "Pedestrian rights" group who want cyclists banned from any area pedestrians use!
    So it seems Aussies want to ban bicycles from the roads, the paths, and remove cycle lanes! Nuts! :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ah sure its too hot to cycle there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

When you get a puncture in an area where little scrotes live. :( Litte sh1ts

The nerve of them threatening to take my bike off me!

When asked what would I do if he hit me in the face, I explained exactly how it would end up me recording a video of him buggering his mate and vice versa.

They left after that. But punched a girl at the lights further on and ran away :(

Advertisement