Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Things that put people off cycling..

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    @Beasty this is actually a pretty topical thread for you. Is the injury going to turn you off cycling? :D
    It's definitely not going to put me off cycling, although some of my selfies could qualify as one of the 10 things to put others off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Interesting article from the UK.. All points seem very familiar..

As one point says, cycling has become more popular in the UK, but only in pockets...outside of that the rates of people cycling on the roads has remained static...

10-things-that-put-people-off-cycling

1. Becoming a cyclist
    2. As above
    3. As above
    4. As above
    5. As above
    6. As above
    7. As above
    8. As above
    9. As above
    10. As above

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Doubt it, the fall probably knocked all sense out of him.
    Glad to see you backing down and now acknowledging I had some in the first place....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

1. Becoming a cyclist
    2. As above
    3. As above
    4. As above
    5. As above
    6. As above
    7. As above
    8. As above
    9. As above
    10. As above

Bet that was worth the effort of typing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Choochtown wrote: »
    Just to get back on thread ... I would add to that list (for rural cyclists anyway) ...

DOGS ! or more specifically dogs that are not contained and are free to jump out and/or chase a passing cyclist.

Yeap, I know someone who collided with a Dog not on it's leash, the result now is he's off the bike for at least a month or so with the injury sustained....
    the mutt was ok though... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeap, I know someone who collided with a Dog not on it's leash, the result now is he's off the bike for at least a month or so with the injury sustained....

Dogs have been around long before bikes.......

But it is bloody annoying. Had one emerge from thew canal bank out of nowhere yesterday caused me to wobble. Swans however, they can do as they please (I've tondeal with them daily)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Bet that was worth the effort of typing it.

Not really, but once I started I kind of had to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If a dog chases you. Just stop cycling...the dog will back down ( or so I'm told)
    That would be great for the dog. Then you get back up and it's fun starts up all over again.
    I could tell you my 'solution' on my regular routes but Beasty might compound his injuries in a rush to delete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

I hope he's trying for compensation ....

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

A squirt from your water bottle will deter dogs.

• Advertisement

fixie fox wrote: »
    I hope he's trying for compensation ....

I believe so, medical expenses and possibly also bike damage...

Just to get back onto topic..

Point 4 in the article, "Perception of danger"

In the States, one City's Mayor is certainly keen to improve safety on the road..

There Police dept. have undercover cops on bicycles out to enforce the "safe passing ordinance" which states when passing motorists must give at least 3 feet, and stay 6 feet back from a cyclist before overtaking.

LINK

LINK2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Beasty wrote: »
    It's definitely not going to put me off cycling, although some of my selfies could qualify as one of the 10 things to put others off....

It must cost you a fair bit though on repairs etc and equipment when you have a big crash. How did the bike handle the last crash? Is it ok. And how are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Just to get back onto topic..

Point 4 in the article, "Perception of danger"

In the States, one City's Mayor is certainly keen to improve safety on the road..

There Police dept. have undercover cops on bicycles out to enforce the "safe passing ordinance" which states when passing motorists must give at least 3 feet, and stay 6 feet back from a cyclist before overtaking.

LINK

LINK2

Wow, 23 cyclists killed in Houston (pop. 2.1 million) over the past five years. That's pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Wow, 23 cyclists killed in Houston (pop. 2.1 million) over the past five years. That's pretty bad.

That's pretty low, especially given that population size

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Not that I'm an expert or anything, I'm going by the stats quoted earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

not forgetting those dogs that run out of peoples gardens then start to snap at your wheels...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

CamperMan wrote: »
    not forgetting those dogs that run out of peoples gardens then start to snap at your wheels...

Read the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Deer popping out on to the road in front of you on the descent from Glenmacnass waterfall also cause squeaky bum moments. they don't so much put you off cycling as they do illicit the thought that you could be put off life if you hit one!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Defined by:
    1) Priority over the roads that cross the route (they get yield signs; if traffic lights are used, cyclists get a green wave.)
    2) Wide enough for cyclists to overtake slower cyclists comfortably
    3) Decent sightlines and gentle bends so that cyclists can get up a bit of speed without constantly having to worry about unseen perils
    4) Not shared with pedestrians
    5) Not shared with buses

added no 5 for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Cyclists who think they are better than everyone else, mostly other cyclists

Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I don't go through red lights, and I don't agree with doing it, but I have to agree with coolemon that a majority of cyclists do go through them. At least 60% in my experience. The junction of blessington St and Dorset St being particularly bad. Just had at least 7 cyclists fly through the lights when it was green for pedestrians.

What puts me off cycling: rain because of the lack of grip, it's scary when you can't control the bike.
    Also going up parnell square, it's so tough for me, an irregular cyclist. And other mini hills. I'm just trying to get from point a to point b, like most people in the morning or evening, so while yeah I do kinda like cycling in don't think it's fair to judge cyclists who aren't doing it just for the love of it. Stopping and starting annoys me too. It adds to my work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have you even cycled along the Grand Canal cycle path , the difference it makes when the gates are open
    I hate that path with a passion, it is asking for an accident, through impatience, lack of education, but mainly through a lack of manners. Every time I use it or cross it, there is a bunch of cyclist heaped up on one side who plough through the pedestrian green, usually through one or two pedestrians (with right of way) who are crossing perpendicular to them. Then there are those who think that the green bicycle gives them preference to cross the path (you should be following the main junction lights), then there are those who get the parallel green and cross turning traffic without even a glance.
    Cyclists who think they are better than everyone else, mostly other cyclists
    Some think, I know :cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've said before on other threads, my experience on my main route is that most cyclists do stop at traffic lights. There's a few pedestrian crossings where the majority don't (including myself tbh) if there's no pedestrian around (on the merrion road there's a couple that seem more traffic control than pedestrian crossing, as there's hardly ever a pedestrian waiting to cross, so why are they even red?)

What put me off starting to commute by bike (which I still don't do everyday)...
    1) The perception of danger did make it harder to bite the bullet and start. I actually think the Dublin Bike scheme helped me get over that. I needed it to get across town a couple of times, hopped on a bike, and just got on with it.
    2) At the moment it's usually quicker by car. Work is due to move, and cycling is really my only viable option then so I will be going 5 days a week.
    3) Rain never really put me off - that's when I really see the benefit of the bike for travel times, as it's when traffic is at it's worst. Wind on the other hand has taken a bit of getting over.
    4) The final one isn't really cycling specific as such, as it could apply to public transport too. I park up and part cycle my commute. The lack of park and ride car parks, that could be used by people cycling, getting buses/ darts/ luas is a big miss for the city. I've a few spots I park, but basically you're on the road/ outside peoples houses which isn't ideal tbh.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've said before on other threads, my experience on my main route is that most cyclists do stop at traffic lights. There's a few pedestrian crossings where the majority don't (including myself tbh) if there's no pedestrian around (on the merrion road there's a couple that seem more traffic control than pedestrian crossing, as there's hardly ever a pedestrian waiting to cross, so why are they even red?)
    Usually from a ped pressing the button and then walking across before it changes e.g. Merrion shopping centre. I always stop (hands up, I did not when I was younger for the reasons that follow). I posted in another thread about people running ped lights. One hit my daughter the other day. She apologised and then said she didn't see her. The problem with it is that, if you go through when red and no peds, the people who are learning through observation think its OK to go through these red lights, potentially only when there are no peds around, which then leads to the cyclists who thinks that once there is a gap, you can cautiously go through, then it leads to the cyclists who thinks that these lights are for peds and cyclists and squeezes through as if they have as much right as the peds with the green to be crossing. Which then leads to the idea that all cyclists are d*cks because people who do not cycle only remember the ones who annoyed or affronted them in some way.

The issue of bicyclists going through red lights at busy pedestrian crossings needs to be met with on the spot fines of €20. And have the pedal-cycle Gardai in the city/town centers visibly enforcing this.
    At the same time a Jaywalking law needs to be brought in and enforced, I think this would make city center or town cycling a bit safer for all.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Usually from a ped pressing the button and then walking across before it changes e.g. Merrion shopping centre. I always stop (hands up, I did not when I was younger for the reasons that follow). I posted in another thread about people running ped lights. One hit my daughter the other day. She apologised and then said she didn't see her. The problem with it is that, if you go through when red and no peds, the people who are learning through observation think its OK to go through these red lights, potentially only when there are no peds around, which then leads to the cyclists who thinks that once there is a gap, you can cautiously go through, then it leads to the cyclists who thinks that these lights are for peds and cyclists and squeezes through as if they have as much right as the peds with the green to be crossing. Which then leads to the idea that all cyclists are d*cks because people who do not cycle only remember the ones who annoyed or affronted them in some way.
    I always stop at that one actually, as the sightlines are bad and it is pretty busy with pedestrians. It was the two between Ailesbury Road and Simmonscourt Road I really had in mind. I get the point to a degree, and I am (I feel) very cautious about crossing a red, however I'm not sure I feel responsible if someone else does observe my cautious approach and runs with it to the degree of piling through red lights where pedestrians are actually crossing.

I always stop at that one actually, as the sightlines are bad and it is pretty busy with pedestrians. It was the two between Ailesbury Road and Simmonscourt Road I really had in mind
    That one has the point of letting traffic out of the side road as well as being a pedestrian crossing as far as I am aware there is a sensor there to set it off if a car is waiting on the side road.
    I get the point to a degree, and I am (I feel) very cautious about crossing a red, however I'm not sure I feel responsible if someone else does observe my cautious approach and runs with it to the degree of piling through red lights where pedestrians are actually crossing.
    You are in no way responsible for the behaviour of another road user unless you directly force them and in no way am I saying that as this culture that well its OK because everyone else does it is just childish (even if the apparent majority partake in it). You are promoting the culture that running reds is OK though. What is cautious to you maybe not cautious enough for other road users. The onus is not on you or I but I think that it should be on everyone, another reason why education at a primary or secondary level is crucial.

CramCycle wrote: »
    That one has the point of letting traffic out of the side road as well as being a pedestrian crossing as far as I am aware there is a sensor there to set it off if a car is waiting on the side road.
    Really? Weird set up if they are, as the outbound traffic is held after the junctions in both cases.

• Advertisement

Really? Weird set up if they are, as the outbound traffic is held after the junctions in both cases.

I am presuming you mean the one beside Shrewsbury road, that was what I thought was happening, it lets left turning traffic out of Shrewsbury Road and Shrewsbury Park. I would have presumed that there should also be some sort of yellow box to keep the road clear for such manoeuvres as well so it could just be a consideration for the embassies as you may have people visiting for visas etc. and there are no other pedestrian crossings for awhile (which when I say it out loud, makes more sense than what I thought, in fact it is the only logical reason).

Advertisement