Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

typhoony wrote: »
    It appeared to me that Muldowney took a more active role as the season went by last year, think we have enough leaders now in the team that captain is not as important as it used to be. Jake would be my second choice as he seems a smart lad and knows whats happening in the game

Not so much about leadership (where you're right we are rather spoilt) and More so about communicating with the Ref
    Unfortunately Muldoon seems to rub refs up wrong way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Conn during the RWC will be something like:

FR: Ah You, McCartney, Buckley
    SR: Muldowny, Roux
    BR: Heenan, Muldoon, McKeon
    SH: Marmion, Cooney
    OH: Carty, Ronaldson
    Centre: Aki, and McSharry ??
    Wing: Healy, Poolman, and Niyi
    FB: TOH and Leader

Near first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

CatFromHue wrote: »

Near first choice

White maybe over ah you and Fox or masterson may break into the back row depending on Heenans fitness but pretty close there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Near first choice

Folks missing are Browne, Marshall, blade, jhw,

Near first choice

Folks missing are Browne, Marshall, blade, jhw, dillane, finn, George, Shane O'Leary, porter, conor mckeon and apologies to those i missed. Its just the players that struck we straight away. Of course Masterson is also an obvious. All of these guys, when given their chance have played extremely well (Marshall had an impressive emerging Ireland outing).

• Advertisement

Near first choice

Folks missing are Browne, Marshall, blade, jhw, dillane, finn, George, Shane O'Leary, porter, conor mckeon and apologies to those i missed. Its just the players that struck we straight away. Of course Masterson and white are also an obvious. All of these guys, when given their chance have played extremely well (Marshall had an impressive emerging Ireland outing).

James Connollyd deserves a mention, looked smashing player in his cameo against Gloucester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

for me Tom McCartney should be captain next year!

gally74 wrote: »
    for me Tom McCartney should be captain next year!

Suspect that next season may be john's last before retirement. So while we all may have our likes or dislikes I do expect john to be captain next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

How long till SOB 2.0 is back , he's been out for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

How long till SOB 2.0 is back, he's been out for ages
    Would imagine he'll be back for new season. Think he said something like that at end of college year...
    Where do you think he may be played when getting up to Pro12 level?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Pre-season starts today. Fox arrived last week and was into the Sportsground for a wander the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Would imagine he'll be back for new season. Think he said something like that at end of college year...
    Where do you think he may be played when getting up to Pro12 level?

Would say his future is in the backrow probably at 6

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/616284001540681729?s=09

Darragh Leader finding his inner Mark McHugh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Jaysus Leader

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ireland training camp on July 14 tickets available free for season ticket holders till about 3. I've picked mine up hoping I can get the day of work now lol

Looks like Mils has been charged. On mobile so can't link but was on BBC site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Looks like Mils has been charged. On mobile so can't link but was on BBC site.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/03/mils-muliaina-charged-with-sexual-assault

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Muliaina is now sitting proudly alongside the likes of CJ Van der Linde and Sam Tuitupou as big name signings that were complete let downs.

Van der Linde at least had the excuse of a chronic injury problem, Muliaina has just been a disaster on every front. It was a big gamble and it backfired horribly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Van der Linde at least had the excuse of a chronic injury problem, Muliaina has just been a disaster on every front. It was a big gamble and it backfired horribly.

I don't know if it's fair to class him as a disaster on all fronts. He was great for marketing the Connacht brand and generating some excitement in a year when we didn't have Heineken cup rugby. While there is no way to prove this I personally feel that he had a huge positive affect on the players particularly in the early part of the season.

On the field, bar one or 2 games, he was a disaster, and spent more time injured than playing. Overall I think it was a bad signing but I do think there were some positives gained from the young lads in the team spending time with and learning from a 100 capped all black

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There are some positives but I get the impression they're pretty much solely related to the buzz around his signing and increased merchandise and ticket sales that generated.

Obviously, he went badly on the pitch and I have no insight into how things went behind the scenes. With that said, I think one of the regular Connacht fans on here posted that they understood that his input and interest off the field was minimal.

I don't think I've any doubt that someone like Henshaw would be much more inspirational to the other young lads in the squad. A bloke who came from their own back yard and is mixing it with the very best and more than holding his own.

I genuinely feel a little sorry for Zebre. I can't see him being anything other than an expensive mistake.

Buer wrote: »
    I genuinely feel a little sorry for Zebre. I can't see him being anything other than an expensive mistake.

I would be surprised if he ends up going there at all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I would be surprised if he ends up going there at all tbh.

Surely if these allegations proved he goes to jail, no? Which is probably what your saying.

Obviously, he went badly on the pitch and I have no insight into how things went behind the scenes. With that said, I think one of the regular Connacht fans on here posted that they understood that his input and interest off the field was minimal

Don't recall that post but it certainly could be true, I have no inside knowledge or contact with anyone who would. My post was very much a personal opinion of my view on things
    I don't think I've any doubt that someone like Henshaw would be much more inspirational to the other young lads in the squad. A bloke who came from their own back yard and is mixing it with the very best and more than holding his own.

Henshaw is huge for underage kids and the guys in academy to show them that someone can come through Connacht and play at the highest level. When I talked about young team members I was talking about the younger senior players. There were a good few games where the average age of our back line was like 23 or 24. Having someone with the experience and knowledge of Mils to give you advice on a game or training would have been huge for them, Henshaw included. I have no doubt that in a few years to come Henshaw would have the same influence on players around him

Ya he's really not what they need, unless they're hoping to generate some publicity, and given the current situation it might not be good publicity

A summary of week one of pre season training http://www.connachtrugby.ie/week-one-of-pre-season/#ConnachtNews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

He should be innocent until proven guilty though.......... he is saying that he is going to fight the charge.

People are getting way ahead of themselves here. Mils has had his injury problems and has not played as much as he would have liked and was not the worlds greatest signing from a rugby perspective but with regards to this charge, lets wait until the facts come out before condemning the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    He should be innocent until proven guilty though.......... he is saying that he is going to fight the charge.

People are getting way ahead of themselves here. Mils has had his injury problems and has not played as much as he would have liked and was not the worlds greatest signing from a rugby perspective but with regards to this charge, lets wait until the facts come out before condemning the man.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Don't think anyone has condemned him guilty yet before the usual judicial process, but after a lengthy enough consideration the police obviously consider they have enough to go on to prompt a formal charge.

In terms of his playing, he was a shadow of his former self for the Chiefs in the year prior to coming to the Wesht of Ireland, in fact his career was already sliding in 2011 when Israel Dagg overtook him as NZ's first choice FB. So it shouldn't have been a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I don't think anyone was even linking this incident with his time at Connacht being disappointing though? At least I didn't get that impression. A lot of money was spent to get him here for a year to have a couple of half decent performances, miss a lot of games through injury and the remaining games he played he was sub-par to be kind.

As for his influence with players off the pitch, who knows? I have an inkling that he did mingle well and might have helped a few of the young lads out but only the team can know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mod: Lads, it's a general rule on boards that court cases cannot be discussed until concluded. Now that he is charged (yes, I know it's in another jurisdiction) let's leave any discussion of the case aside please.

Has there been any news of pre-season friendlies?

Advertisement