Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Foxychick wrote: »
    Just after getting city link bus from Dublin to Galway. Safety talk for journey done by a few of the lads on the team. Cringe :o

Sponsors get what the want i guess
    Robbo wrote:
    The Galway Agricultural & Sports Society Ltd are owners. They're a registered friendly society so their records aren't as easily available as those of a company. However, I may request them in person for the craic.

Bord na gCon are tenants in the same way that Connacht Rugby are and from what I'm led to believe the dogs might enjoy a "superior" tenancy. As the Sportsground is unregistered land, a trip to the Registry of Deeds might be throw some light on this.

My point is that their parlous finances might lead to them being open to having their tenancy (or principles) open to offer. Who knows though, the greyhound industry is subsidised to a ridiculous amount and those involved seem to be quite unbothered by scandal after scandal. They do like a bit of cash though.

Thats the group, thought it was a co-op for some reason. The superior tenacy thing I've heard before too.

Couple of problems I could see with any takeover (not that it seems likely or possible at the moment).

Running of the facilities on the main terrace side might be costly. The costs that side arent Connachts (or the revenue generate on match days) I'm led to believe, which is why the few times I'm that side I try to loop over to the clan for pint(s).
    Ripping up the dog track would be costly and would make the pitch seem ridiculously far away on the main terrace side, worse than the time Ireland was in croke park. the dog track at least offers a clear idea of the sideline to specatators and players (altho this could end up being an advantage to our players when used to it should it happen)
    Feck knows how much rent would be too if we were the sole tenant. We are only a year form a massive overrun so I imagine things are tight.

Of course, if we could get it we could probably increase capacity that side and get rid of the temp stand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Let's start a crowd funding campaign to buy it all out and make the perfect little stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Sportground would make an ideal location for a 10-15 all-seater with a roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Would be a shame to seat it all though; better atmosphere generally in a terrace. Could leave one side terraced though; or at least the front of it terraced and seats at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Padkir wrote: »
    Would be a shame to seat it all though; better atmosphere generally in a terrace. Could leave one side terraced though; or at least the front of it terraced and seats at the back?

I agree with a better atmosphere in the terrace but if there was a way to have easy swap in and out seats for concerts etc. it would be a greet revenue stream for whoever owns its - concerts etc.

• Advertisement

Kingholm impressed me with the set up there. Mix terraced and seating and good facilities. Not a bad model to follow if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I think the major problem is that Connacht / IRFU just wouldn't have the money to buy and completely redevelop the Sportsground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Kingsholm would be the model to follow. We already have the shed with the clan terrace. Just need to get some local cider brewers in place!

I think the major problem is that Connacht / IRFU just wouldn't have the money to buy and completely redevelop the Sportsground.

Yup. But it's good to have a long term plan in place should an opportunity ever come up.

Good for the supporters to dream too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Anyone know of a stream for the emerging Ireland games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

ouncer wrote: »

Last year they were streamed on the IRB, now world rugby, site so I'd assume it'll be the same this year but if I get confirmation I'll post back here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

They've both tried. It's the dogs that are a nightmare to deal with. The commitment is there financially

Hoping to see Buckley, Masterson, toh and Healy involved. If Healy rips it up (as I expect he will) he could pose a headache for Joe. Realistically I can't see him making the world cup squad. Gilroy has had a fantastic season, tommy bowe is a definite, Keith earls is playing out of his skin, and then there is the likes of zebo and (Dave) Kearney. Winger is a hotly contested spot and even if matt plays well I suspect Joe will stick with experience. The usual catch 22 situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Try in the Irish thread tomorrow....
    Hoping to see Buckley, Masterson, toh and Healy involved. If Healy rips it up (as I expect he will) he could pose a headache for Joe. Realistically I can't see him making the world cup squad. Gilroy has had a fantastic season, tommy bowe is a definite, Keith earls is playing out of his skin, and then there is the likes of zebo and (Dave) Kearney. Winger is a hotly contested spot and even if matt plays well I suspect Joe will stick with experience. The usual catch 22 situation.
    Post better suited to Irish thread no? Dont see Healy being near world cup squad

Georgian rubgy union are providing the streams, keep an eye on social media for details

TOH, Healey, Buckley and Marshall (and griffin) all starting. Belham heff cooney browne masterson on bench

Hopefully his doesnt lead for Buckley/Bealhams IRFU photos to be updated

94704.jpg
    99507.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Already linked it in the Ireland thread but for anyone who missed it, and seeing as the team is about a third Connacht ;), the link to the live stream of the match is:

http://rugbyge.tulix.tv/

As matches go this one was highly forgetful. Penalty after penalty, messed up scrum after messed up scrum. Bright sides was that heffs lineouts were flawless and good to see grif and toh get tries. And to lump trajedy on tragedy I spent a further two hours of my life watching an Irish soccer game. Four hours never to be returned :-). On the plus side if your a rugby supporter at least there is the potential to witness a decent game

You would expect it to be unlikely for any further rugby in Tbilisi this week after last nights natural disaster. Hope the team are all ok. Must have been a shock after the heatwave they played in yesterday. Thoughts to all the people who lost their lives and livelihoods in the floods

Team for uruguay match. Healy, Cooney, Heff, Browne, Masterson at 8 starting

Buckley and Marshall on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

freyners wrote: »
    Team for uruguay match. Healy, Cooney, Heff, Browne, Masterson at 8 starting

Buckley and Marshall on the bench
    Healy out and Conway in to replace.

Also, today's the day for the Challenge Cup draw. We're in with the top seeds apparently.

It's hard to be sure given the complicated nature of the draw, but I had a quick look and I reckon that the best possible group we could come up with is:

Connacht, La Rochelle, Zebre, Agen

The worst possible would be

Connacht, Harlequins, Cardiff Blues, Pau

I used this to get the info in case anyone would like to come up with what they think might better/worse scenarios. Or to point out how I've completely misunderstood the seedings :)

La Rochelle and Edinburgh confirmed as tier 1 teams, Harlequins in tier 2

Here are the final tiers confirmed

352299.png

Connacht are in pool 1

Joining them are Brive from tier 2

From tier 3 it's Newcastle Falcons

Final team is Enisei-Stm

Here's the final table for Connacht, not a bad draw

352302.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

WE'RE GOING TO RUSSIA LADS

Who's coming to Russia lads??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Rainbow trousers and a Connacht jersey

• Advertisement

I'd urge as many as possible to make the weekend trip to Newcastle. Cracking city for a night out, lots of great people.

Advertisement