Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably better to spend the Mils money elsewhere. Think it became clear during the season that while his mind still did all the right things, his body couldn't keep up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I said at the start of the season that I had hoped he wasn't ona pension tour. Turns out he was and will pad it some more in Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

He brought a lot of media attention and a lot of experince which hopefully will rub off on the younger backs but he has been underwhelming on the field. The money could be better spent in our current squad. Hopefully we can bring in an experienced 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is the Muliaina story true? It's being reported by a number of outlets so that suggests it is. Really with press releases like that you'd wonder why they wouldn't just wait until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is the Muliaina story true? It's being reported by a number of outlets so that suggests it is. Really with press releases like that you'd wonder why they wouldn't just wait until tomorrow.

Zebre announced it this morning, Connacht just responding. Get it out of the way now, rather than the day before a big European game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

He brought a lot of media attention and a lot of experince which hopefully will rub off on the younger backs but he has been underwhelming on the field. The money could be better spent in our current squad. Hopefully we can bring in an experienced 10.
    You would have to guess that this move is not something that just happened. I would guess it has been worked in the background for some time. As such its a surprise that the move of JJ hanrahan could not have seen him wearing a Connacht jersey next season rather than the move abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

JJ wouldn't get the equivalent of £150k per season at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

ouncer wrote: »
    You would have to guess that this move is not something that just happened. I would guess it has been worked in the background for some time. As such its a surprise that the move of JJ hanrahan could not have seen him wearing a Connacht jersey next season rather than the move abroad.

I thought that Connacht couldn't have outbid Munster under IRFU rules regardless of whether they knew they would have wages freeing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Connacht get a bit of leeway.

TommyOM wrote: »
    Connacht get a bit of leeway.

With NIQ's, not outbidding another province.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bazzo wrote: »
    I thought that Connacht couldn't have outbid Munster under IRFU rules regardless of whether they knew they would have wages freeing up.

They outbid everybody else in relation to Bundi Aki apparently.

They outbid everybody else in relation to Bundi Aki apparently.

That's an NIQ player not playing in Ireland, not a player from within the provincial system. Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

its_phil wrote: »
    That's an NIQ player not playing in Ireland, not a player from within the provincial system. Big difference.

Indeed. And the last thing Connacht want is a situation in which provinces can outbid each other for Irish players.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

When is Aki back?

Any news on new players for next year?

I know we are getting a back row from NZ which is great, but with so many irish back rows in other provences it would be great if we got one if those Instead.

I always think d ryan woul e great in connacht. Not in the leinster team and would get great game time. Even a year loan would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Bazzo wrote: »
    That makes sense. That said look at it from another angle. Hanrahan was feiced off with being second to keatley. If the irfu considered him a valuable player they would have given him the option of first 10 at Connacht. When you consider Connacht's purchases for the year and their early results to the season it wouldn't have been a bad move for him and potentially pushed into sexton replacement territory. By going abroad he has limited his inclusion in future Irish teams (if irfu are consistent). Personally I consider him at least the equal of keatley and madigan. He could have done so well at Connacht. Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Anyone go to the yoke in Buskers last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Connacht team to face Gloucester

15. Mils Muliaina
    14. Tiernan O’Halloran
    13. Danie Poolman
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Tom McCartney
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Quinn Roux
    5. Aly Muldowney
    6. Andrew Browne
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. JP Cooney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Mick Kearney
    20. James Connolly
    21. Ian Porter
    22. Craig Ronaldson
    23. Darragh Leader

Unavailable/Injured: Jason Harris-Wright, Sean Henry, Nathan White, Ronan Loughney, Michael Swift, Mata Fifita, Willie Faloon, Jake Heenan, Eoin McKeon, Bundee Aki, Dave McSharry, Conor Finn, Fionn Carr.

Gloucester v Connacht
    At Kingsholm Stadium, 7:45pm
    Live on Sky Sports
    Listen to Galway Bay FM

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Henshaw at 12 is interesting, aside from the obvious reasons. Great looking backline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

.ak wrote: »
    Henshaw at 12 is interesting, aside from the obvious reasons. Great looking backline.

Would look much better with Ronaldson at 10 and Leader at 15

Really? It's fairly tame imo compared to what it could be with Craig, Bundee and Poolman on the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who is James Connolly? I haven't seen him in a teamsheet before.

If you make an Easter Rising joke, you're going on ignore!

Zzippy wrote: »

Yeah but I think Carty has the potential to be a really good player. He's under a lot of pressure and it's telling unfortunately, but if settles down he can be a very dangerous guy, loves the counter attack too!

Yeah Mils looks better on paper then in practice, but I wonder if he's got a big performance left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 R Lahart

Looking at that injury list. There is the makings of a fairly reasonable team

Really? It's fairly tame imo compared to what it could be with Craig, Bundee and Poolman on the wing.

I think Poolman has the skillset for 13, it'll be interesting to see him there. Obviously Bundee + Henshaw at 13 is a better combo but I'm interested in seeing Henshaw continue at 12, Poolman could really thrive off him if he punches some big holes. I'm also a big fan of Healy and TOH so I'm sorta biased there.

I think Poolman has the skillset for 13, it'll be interesting to see him there. Obviously Bundee + Henshaw at 13 is a better combo but I'm interested in seeing Henshaw continue at 12, Poolman could really thrive off him if he punches some big holes. I'm also a big fan of Healy and TOH so I'm sorta biased there.

Agreed on Healy and TOH, but I'd be moving TOH/Leader to 15. Poolman has done a really good makeshift job there for us, but you can tell it isn't his natural position. He's great cover, but prefer to see him tearing it up on the wing than the center. The right center choice considering the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think that if Aki or McSharry were available, then he'd be in 13 again
    Zzippy wrote: »

I agree. I'm assuming that Ronaldson is on the bench as he's just recovered from illness so Pat is worried that he might not be quite up to full match speed. Mils over Leader though I can't think of any reason other than getting your monies worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Guessing Craig not 100%, but Robbie at 12 might be just what Carty needs
    Thought Leader did well on Wing and TOH did well at fb in Thomond so wouldn't mind seeing things have stayed in backline

Edit: just saw the pack- no George?! Muldoon at 8 never filled me with confidence - rather he lined up at 7 and let Masterson go 8

Also a member of Clan posted :
    salmon wrote:
    Delighted to see that 12 of the 23 - TOH, Henshaw, Jack, Kieran, Denis, Browney, Masterson, Mul, Delahunt, Bealham, Connolly & Darragh - are Connacht natives and/or came through our academy. In our last quarter final 5 years ago, the number was 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

No, he said it's a great looking backline.

88187.jpgINPHO_00621761.jpg
    106755.jpg

Swoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

really suprised ronaldson has been left on the bench but maybe it's with an eye on the following week and then I'm also suprised that Mils has been brought back in, in the forwards Roux brings a bit of extra grunt to the pack which makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No, he said it's a great looking backline.

[

Swoon!

Don't forget about this handsome divil:

000000DPN1Fader.jpg

Advertisement