Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whole crop, maize or itailian

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

td5man wrote: »
    Tried mowing rushes with 10' kuhn and it was gathering them with the conditioner disengaged.

Won't try it so ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Its a 10ft trailed krone. Could you not just open the pulleys and take out the rubber belt?

Id have assumed it would just cause it to bunch up, and td5mans comment seems to confirm :(

I would suggest running it at lower revs so conditioner wouldn't be as hard on it, but thats a big no no as the reduced speed will change the torque on the shaft/bed and could do horrendous damage....

Could always try get a potty moco out on trial they have the removable conditioner :p:p

Zr105 wrote: »
    Id have assumed it would just cause it to bunch up, and td5mans comment seems to confirm :(

I would suggest running it at lower revs so conditioner wouldn't be as hard on it, but thats a big no no as the reduced speed will change the torque on the shaft/bed and could do horrendous damage....

Could always try get a potty moco out on trial they have the removable conditioner :p:p

Nope no more machinery coming in here ha.
    Father wants to upgrade baler and that is not happening.
    Well spend the 2k on the chamber chains and keep it.
    Neighbour just bought a a fusion so I'll get him to do the big bits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Nope no more machinery coming in here ha.
    Father wants to upgrade baler and that is not happening.
    Well spend the 2k on the chamber chains and keep it.
    Neighbour just bought a a fusion so I'll get him to do the big bits

Haha! Might be as handy if you could get a local lad with non conditioner mower in to do it, if your going that way... Id say use plenty of net in the bales to as id imagine itd be difficult to make a good hard bale with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Want a big bulk of good quality for my winter milkers next year and for spring cows.
    12ac to sow in a few weeks.
    Its either whole crop with wheat and whole load of stuff thrown in as well as Italian
    Maize silage
    Or just straight Italian.
    1. If I saw maize what's the cost per acre, how many cows will it feed and for how long.
    2. If I undersow grass with whole crop when would I be cutting presuming its sowed in two weeks. I will be bailing this so would I be right in saying I could get 20 bales/acre?
    2. Straight Italian. If thus was sown in two weeks I'd have it cut by first week in June I'd hope and hope to get a second cut so maybe its just between maize or whole crop as I could get a second cut with the whole crop so I would have more silage?

Opinions........
    both maize and whole crop are super feeds along with grass in the back end to put condition on but I don't think in a grass based diet they are the right feed for spring not enough energy. That's my opinion open to correction do things a bit different here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Had ten acres of maize sowed and about 2 weeks before it was ready I sold it for 1100 an acre and he paid for the harvesting etc.

I was delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

For winter milk its hard to beat maize for keeping cows in good order, its balancing it with protein is the added cost of it. Anyone ever grow lucerne? Supposedly protein up to 20%. Will you jsut be milking 30 for winter gg

Milked out wrote: »
    For winter milk its hard to beat maize for keeping cows in good order, its balancing it with protein is the added cost of it. Anyone ever grow lucerne? Supposedly protein up to 20%. Will you jsut be milking 30 for winter gg

What's lucerene?
    Calving about 28 but will milk 35 or so. There will be 10 heifers with them too.

Lucerne is some price to buy over here , know of a farm that grazes Lucerne with cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

GG its a legume. The neighbour grew some last year, looked ok in the pit but I never heard how it tested, or how the cow milked on it, I may ask him the next time I'm talking to him.

• Advertisement

What's lucerene?
    Calving about 28 but will milk 35 or so. There will be 10 heifers with them too.

Its called alfalfa in the states i think, its a legume that can last a few years, it can be cut as silage or hay 3 or 4 cuts a year, dunno how suitable our climate would be for it, but if your in a spot that can grow maize well you may have as good a chance as anywhere else here. dunno much about it really was only googling protein crops, If it could reduce the conc protein bill it would match maize well.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Lucerne is some price to buy over here , know of a farm that grazes Lucerne with cows.

Why the cost, is it the fact that ye use forage to supplement instead of meal and this gives a high demand?

Its called alfalfa in the states i think, its a legume that can last a few years, it can be cut as silage or hay 3 or 4 cuts a year, dunno how suitable our climate would be for it, but if your in a spot that can grow maize well you may have as good a chance as anywhere else here. dunno much about it really was only googling protein crops, If it could reduce the conc protein bill it would match maize well.
    Know it as alfalfa never heard it called lucerene.

Must equire about it

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

Was there not a huge drop in the amount of maize plastic here last year. I remember friends of mine having to drive on and go without it. The cost went up mad

Why the cost, is it the fact that ye use forage to supplement instead of meal and this gives a high demand?
    There isn't much of it around dono why its so expensive but landed on farm it cost about 50cent kgdm, maize and whole crop are 30 -38 and grass 30-40. Last year got maize in the stack for 25cent and grass was costing 30 cent

Just reading up on it there and they say you can sow perennial grass with it along with a cereal.

Will be very interested in in this.
    Depending on cost if coursse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Know it as alfalfa never heard it called lucerene.

Must equire about it

Not a snowballs chance of growing lucerene in Irelands climate, it needs heat talking 30 plus degrees and lots of sun more so then hay even, unbeliveable feed though worked on Dairy farms in Oz that buffer feed it was pure rocket fuel

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Not a snowballs chance of growing lucerene in Irelands climate, it needs heat talking 30 plus degrees and lots of sun more so then hay even, unbeliveable feed though worked on Dairy farms in Oz that buffer feed it was pure rocket fuel

Germinal seeds have a variety that grows in england

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Re lucerne I would imagine it would be rather pricey to sow, over here you wouldn't consider sowing it in for one year, seed price is rather high I think. Grazing it has obvious bloat issues that have to be watched and feeding to much can taint the milk, but I'd imagine you wouldn't be feeding those levels. It's very drout to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

I grow Lucerne here. Good feed. Used for its protein, you get 4 to 5 cuts per year. Can be made into hay or haylage.
    It has to be handled with great care when making hay of if as the leaves can easily be lost. Often the case to be turning Lucerne by night so as not to lose the leaves.
    Some feed for young stock.

• Advertisement

herd someware that almarai the hugh dairy farm in Saudi have bought land in the states to grow alfafa and are going to ship it over.

Will be looking into this now.
    All I would need would be a high energy rating on like I'm feeding now

If I was to sow lucerene along with a perennial grass what would happen if I didn't graze it before I cut it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

If I was to sow lucerene along with a perennial grass what would happen if I didn't graze it before I cut it?

Lucerne is only planted once every 4 or 5 years. You could undersow with barley the first year as it's the second year that it really takes off.
    Also it's not very competitive so good weed control is needed. Planting grass with lucerne is a no no.

sheebadog wrote: »
    Lucerne is only planted once every 4 or 5 years. You could undersow with barley the first year as it's the second year that it really takes off.
    Also it's not very competitive so good weed control is needed. Planting grass with lucerne is a no no.

Ye I was planning on sowing barley along with it and maybe DD it in every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Gg I think maize under plastic is ur only man for cows in winter milk.feed this in conjunction with high dmd silage and a well specd but for protein and nothing grown in this country will match it.its a super feed to buffer with grass in spring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Gg I think maize under plastic is ur only man for cows in winter milk.feed this in conjunction with high dmd silage and a well specd but for protein and nothing grown in this country will match it.its a super feed to buffer with grass in spring

Wholecrop not far behind. 30 percent autumn calvers here twenty percent heifers doing 24l at 3.5 pr and 4.2 fat on 2kg of conc and 4kg/dm wholecrop. Still rising strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

how does italian go with a z grazing system??

mahoney_j wrote: »

I don't think I'll be going the maize route this year maahoney . I want to Get at least 20ac rreseeded on the grazing block this year and if I go and plant maize it will use up all the money we had planned to use for reseeding.

It will either be barley and Italian, lucerene or straight itailian

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    how does italian go with a z grazing system??

Not great. We grazed the Italian Herr 3 weeks ago and the cows went back a litre for the 10 days they were on it.

But when its silage its a complete different story.
    They just milk for sport off it

Advertisement