Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

cloud493 wrote: »
    I seen the movie today. I thought it was ****e, but then I'm not a fan so maybe its not for me.

Then...why did you pay money to see it? :pac:

OH went to see it with a friend. Said that there was one mild chuckle in it...and that was at the 'out-take' bit. When a comedy relies on getting laughs from it's out-takes I think it's fair game to say that the scripted parts aren't that well constructed. What am I saying, it's all base humour! Also cannot stand colloquial humour. Don't get me started on those sh!te sminkey shorts.

364390e3d256b18968df56572781060a.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Kinda want to go see this.

Always enjoy Mrs Browns Boys when it's on the tele.

Would be slightly embarrassed going into the cinema though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Kinda want to go see this.

Would be slightly embarrassed going into the cinema though :P

You probably saved yourself some mild trauma. The only people going to see this during the day are chronic public masturbating fiends. They need the thrill and It's the only showing they know be all empty fo sho.

That said I'd rather some spunk in my eye. Least I'd be blind and never see the rest of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Then...why did you pay money to see it? :pac:

OH went to see it with a friend. Said that there was one mild chuckle in it...and that was at the 'out-take' bit. When a comedy relies on getting laughs from it's out-takes I think it's fair game to say that the scripted parts aren't that well constructed. What am I saying, it's all base humour! Also cannot stand colloquial humour. Don't get me started on those sh!te sminkey shorts.

364390e3d256b18968df56572781060a.jpg

Cos I pay €21 a month for that cineworld ticket and I'm gonna get the value out of it or dying trying :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

^What they said. I think for every few really good films you see you have to balance it out with something ****e to get some perspective, this is what the unlimited card is great for. You don't feel as guilty for contributing to the film's box office either. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or you could just go to see good and interesting films, works for me :pac:

(I'd also be fairly confident buying an Unlimited ticket does make you a box office statistic of some description)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Went to see this last night. Would enjoy it when I see it on tv but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. Oh god it was utter scour. Tragic is the only word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I hate this show. I have not even seen the movie but I hate it already.

I don't get it. It's just not funny.

What type of people are "fans" of this show? I actually find it embarrassing as both an Irish person and a Dub. The show is just so bad it can't be adequately put in to words.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What type of people are "fans" of this show? I actually find it embarrassing as both an Irish person and a Dub. The show is just so bad it can't be adequately put in to words.
    And they're so smug and proud of it aswell, like 4-5 bows by the cast at the end and 5-10 minutes of applause? Seriously?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Irish people have done much worse things for their reputations than this. That said, if ever there was a film for pirating... Even the fans on IMDB have panned it for the most part.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭RustDaz

It reminds me of When the whistle blows from Extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RustDaz wrote: »
    It reminds me of When the whistle blows from Extras.

Yup, but I wouldn't hold your breath expecting O'Carroll to denounce it all as rubbish and announce he's seeking redemption in the form of more serious or better work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭RustDaz

I just realized that all the people I know that enjoy it annoy the piss out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

RustDaz wrote: »
    I just realized that all the people I know that enjoy it annoy the piss out of me.

.... ****, I'm the same :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Personally. I don't find Mrs Brown or anything Brendan O'Carroll does the slightest bit funny. Not my kind of comedy.

saw the movie with my brother was in stitches the hole time
    though the ninja bit were not so funny

loved that the tv series sets were used like the house and foleys

love the tv series and movie roll on the sequel and series 4

id rather have series 4 first just for more episodes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well turns out this film has had Ireland's biggest ever Opening Weekend at the box-office, before adjusting for inflation (which still puts it at #3 apparently). If nothing else it makes for a fascinating observation, with very few people occupying any kind of middleground. I accidentally caught part of an episode last night on BBC, it's such poor, low-hanging fruit. Makes Dick Emery look positively classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well turns out this film has had Ireland's biggest ever Opening Weekend at the box-office, before adjusting for inflation (which still puts it at #3 apparently). If nothing else it makes for a fascinating observation, with very few people occupying any kind of middleground. I accidentally caught part of an episode last night on BBC, it's such poor, low-hanging fruit. Makes Dick Emery look positively classy.

It took a million here and 5.5 million in the UK. I'm delighted for it as an Irish production.

I won't be going to see it but I still can't understand people who don't like it purposefully coming onto this thread to protest how much they hate the show.

It obviously has an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Lemlin wrote: »
    It obviously has an audience.

Plus everyone knew exactly what kind of rubbish movie it would be from the start, nobody was fooled or tricked into seeing it.

It's yezzir own fault for going!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well just back from this myself.

i thought it was great. not brilliant, there's individual episodes of the show that are better, but IMO it made the transition to the big screen well and it did what comedies are meant to do for me.

which is make me laugh, hard.

its not in the same league but the only other comedy this year that made me laugh as much was the lego movie. i was kinda worried going in as i thought one of the christmas special flailed miserably and was afraid that may have afflicted the flim, but thankfully that wasnt bourne out.

to be brutally honest if your not a fan of the show and your going to this i honestly dont know whats fecking wrong with you as its NOT aimed at you, so stay home and save yourself the money. if you ARE fan you know what your getting and it delivers

i went at 14.20 today and it was full enough for that time with one of the more cross sections of an audience ive seen in quite a while (teenagers, adults, couples etc) and they loved it. most actually stayed to the end of the credits for the out takes. i dont usually care about stuff like that but it was somthing i noticed as last film i saw was "how to train your dragon 2" and it was manily young parents with kids.

anyway getting back to the film. one of the aspects of it that struck me is its basically a love letter to dublin. the city looks great, gorgeous in parts, im kinda wondering if dublin tourism gave him a hand out on the production front, and like i said while it loses coherency in places all in all o carrol manages to keep all the heart thats the core of the show in this.

its got all the slapstick, fourth wall breaking, and post ironic comedy youve come to expect from the show and personally i thought some great one liners. i understand why the critics hate it. its not for them in the least. but o carrol knows his audience and i can see this one running for ages yet as they flock to it.

7.5/10.

i laughed, and i left smiling, and in places i had a tear in me eye. cant ask for much more from a mrs brown movie than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well that's also my opinion....he knows his audience and knows he will have people falling out of their seats laughing....and still get bad reviews. Fvck the begrudgers!! Not my cup of tea but fair play to them.

pixelburp wrote: »

Where do you find these stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Mrs Brown’s Boys had the biggest ever opening weekend for an Irish movie

Emphasis on Irish film, I knew that didn't sound right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

BrYHgEjCAAAo_VV.jpg:large
    Spare a thought for the poor people of North Korea.

Where did that come from?

Seems to suggest the Irish version is being shown then contradicts that by suggesting it is a Korean version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Where did that come from?

Dreamland.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I saw Glenda Gilson mentioning it in the same league as The Snapper :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Advertisement