Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting WoW for the first time

Options
  • 29-03-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey,
    Just wondering is World of Warcraft a hard game to get into if I'm thinking of starting it now or would there be a better game that I should just go for instead considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The game used to be very unfriendly to get into.

Lately blizzard have made the entire starting game to about level 10 incredibly user friendly and focused on new players.

I would grab the free trial from the WoW website and see what you think.

Also. Just to make you aware, this game is an INSANE free time vortex. :)

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Guild Wars 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Theres a starter edition that you can download and is free. Lets you level up to 20 and has some restrictions but youll get a good idea what to expect from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

It's very easy to get into now. And great fun to level new characters. Like most games end content way outstrips anything you will do on the way up, but there are plenty dungeons and raids to keep you going. It's easy enough now to get pretty decent gear also when you hit 90. Try the free trial you can change over if you think you like it. It goes up to level 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Welcome to the end of this year. You should emerge sometime around xmas blinking at the light wondering where it all went.

I recommend rolling a hunter as your first char :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Glebee

I remember the first time I started WOW. It scale completely blew me away. Don't think I played another game for maybe a year or more. Gave up soon after starting Mist of Pandaria expansion. I got bored I guess. But defo get stuck into WOW if you can spare the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you still have to walk back to your body as a ghost when you are killed? I hated that

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Give trial a go. Nothing to lose.

I played for years wow and loved it. I got pandaria expansion and did not even got to level 90. I just burned out of it and I still think that flying mount with dungeon finder destroyed any sense of massive and awesome world it once was before.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I play Star Wars before WoW and thought personally thought WoW was awful in comparison. It looks it's age, having to read masses of text instead of having the NPC's all voiced like SWTOR was just a better experience for me (as someone who had never played any MMOs before).

Plus Lightsabres! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Celadore

I'll definitely give the trial a go. Most hours I've put into a game in one run through has been 180hrs in Skyrim but I'm guessing this is gonna be a whole other story. :p That's why I think I haven't been playing it already. :) When I get into a game, I really get into it.

So you think definitely should start as a hunter? Or any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Hunter is good for new people. The trial doesnt have a time limit so you can try out a few classes that look interesting to you, get an idea of how they work then can continue to level them when you start paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's so newbie friendly now you'll have a blast. Realm connections means most realms feel really busy. The only thing I don't like is you'll miss the original deadlines with the awesome Mr Smith.

Questing is massively better now with awesome quest chains like the csi one in westfall or Rambo in redridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Stop before its too late !

My brother is strongly advising me to play Final fantasy online instead of WoW now. Anyone played it?? Is it any good, better, totally different? :p

Lol, ya I'm wondering if I'm going to being signing my life away if I start. Get really into games I like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Celadore wrote: »
    My brother is strongly advising me to play Final fantasy online instead of WoW now. Anyone played it?? Is it any good, better, totally different? :p

Lol, ya I'm wondering if I'm going to being signing my life away if I start. Get really into games I like. :)

As others have said, WOW is free to try, so you have nothing to lose by trying it. It's hard to recommend one over the other as it's hard to say what you'll like about either one if you have no experience with MMO's.
    I recently went back playing WOW after a 6 year break and I'm loving it at the mo'. I've played Guild Wars, Final Fantasy and a few other MMO's but as good as they all are in their own right, there is something about WOW that feels special. I'm not sure what it is , maybe it's because it was the first MMO I got in to , so I'll always have a fondness for it.
    Final Fantasy is great , so which ever one you decide , it's win ,win. But nothing to be lost trying WOW's trial, you might find you hate it but at least you won't be after forking out money to discover that.

@Status Offline

Well ya you're right, can't do any harm to try the trial version and see how I get on and then go from there. :)

Lol, just thinking how funny it is being a newbie again at something game related. :) Being playing games since I was 6 but this will be my first mmo. It's always been consoles for me and now I'm delving into the unknown. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Good luck you won't regret it! Hunter is probably easiest as your pet will take most of your damage. If you can join a level 25 guild on the trail do it, as you will get some gold and Xp boosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'd recommend WoW over all other MMO's
    I won't play it again myself but got some great years playing it, i envy people only getting to play it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

By far the best MMO around imo. At this stage its just so polished and full of content... very "newbie" friendly as well as having enough depth to keep you entertained for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm going to go against the grain here...

Don't do it. MMORPG's are the biggest waste of time going. As genre, I do not recommend them to anyone. They are designed to addict players.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the grain here...

Don't do it. MMORPG's are the biggest waste of time going. As genre, I do not recommend them to anyone. They are designed to addict players.

Nah, single player Farmville type games win "biggest wastes of time going" awards, at least in MMOs you can talk **** with people and have a social element. Most games are designed to "addict" you, well, designed to drip feed you positive feedback that keeps you playing, MMOs are more cynical about this than others but it exists in most genres really. The issue with MMOs I think is the social element, it can become the main or only social outlet for a person and this isn't healthy! It's the mix of constant "1 more turn/kill/whatever" with the social side and the competitive side that makes MMOs so "addictive" for people (I'm using scare quotes because whilst I do believe that people can become addicted to these games this is a far cry from the mere "overplaying" that many people seem to think addiction is (as opposed to unemployed and happy about it because it means more time for EVE or whatever that I've seen).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Enjoy it! I'd love to get that feeling back of first time playing WoW. It was an amazing feeling when I first logged in and roaming the world, incredible stuff.

Your making a good choice, WoW wipes the floor with everything else in my opinion, I really don't think there is a debate.

Some other games have a good stab at doing SOMETHING particularly well, but then flounder a tthe rest of it. WoW does pretty much everything excellent, be it PvP, PvE, Gold Making via Economy play, solo play and loads more.

The trial should give you a good indication of wether youd be into it or not, and then remember the game itself doesnt even really start until you hit max level :D (Although as a new plyer, the levelling experience will be pretty good and enjoyable)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    I play Star Wars before WoW and thought personally thought WoW was awful in comparison. It looks it's age, having to read masses of text instead of having the NPC's all voiced like SWTOR was just a better experience for me (as someone who had never played any MMOs before).

Plus Lightsabres! :p

I noticed that with my mates. The guys who never played WoW but got SWTOR and then played WoW, stuck with SWTOR.

The guys who came from WoW, left SWTOR pretty quickly.

I was as pumped as anyone for Star Wars, didn't help most of my friends went to work for them in Galway and I was just getting a constant feed of Star wars.

Such a disappointing game that pretty much shattered my trust and love for bioware : /

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Glebee

Same here. Got fed up of wow and tried prity much every other mmo. Nothing came close to the enjoyment got from wow. Enjoyed Star Wars but gave up because it just was not wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you have a tendancy to get addicted or hooked on certain games id probably reconsider. I've purposely avoided WoW for this reason. I know that if I started playing id find it very difficult to stop and other aspects of my life would suffer as a result of all the hours id be wasting on this. Some people can log in, play for an hour or two and then log out but I know id just get totally sucked in so I stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Elder Scrolls Online is coming out in a few days, played the beta and really enjoyed it. Looks a lot better than wow too

Battleflag wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls Online is coming out in a few days, played the beta and really enjoyed it. Looks a lot better than wow too

Saw the trailer today, looks pretty cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I played Wow for the first time last year. The GF asked me to try it because she had been playing it for years. I gave it a few months. Bored the bejesus out of me.
    Kill ten x by pressing 1, sometimes 2 and then 3. In a few levels you'll get to press 4 and 5. Repeat for 80 levels.
    Now do the same for ten y followed by gathering 10 x pelts.
    I kept getting told it would be better when we did the dungeons. It wasn't, especially when we started repeating the same dungeons on a daily basis. I also tried PvP which seemed to be a bunch of people jumping around pressing 1,2,3 and 4.
    I dunno. Maybe I missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I played Wow for the first time last year. The GF asked me to try it because she had been playing it for years. I gave it a few months. Bored the bejesus out of me.
    Kill ten x by pressing 1, sometimes 2 and then 3. In a few levels you'll get to press 4 and 5. Repeat for 80 levels.
    Now do the same for ten y followed by gathering 10 x pelts.
    I kept getting told it would be better when we did the dungeons. It wasn't, especially when we started repeating the same dungeons on a daily basis. I also tried PvP which seemed to be a bunch of people jumping around pressing 1,2,3 and 4.
    I dunno. Maybe I missed something.

Yeah, I tried Quake and to be honest I got bored with mousing over a target and then clicking. Sure you could move around a bit with WSAD but I just couldn't really see the appeal of these more fast paced point and click adventures. People told me that multiplayer would change things but, eh, frantically hitting spacebar loads didn't change much for me.

Maybe I missed something. ;)

Advertisement