Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness test push ups

Options
  • 27-03-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hello I got an email today about the Fitness test being next Thursday, the run I know I will pass and hopefully on the day I'll run it faster than I normally would but I'm having slight problems with my shoulder recently and I don't know if its worth my while to attempt it this year? :confused: I can do maybe 10-15 push ups before it starts to lock up its a pain! Don't wanna turn up on the day and look a fool for not being able to do the 20 push ups, just wondering would anyone have advice for me? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

well u can not turn up and you wont get another interview every.or u can call up army man power and ask to move it test but that will only get you a week or two.. but after you do the fitness part you have a aptitude test, medical and also a final interview.

i did my fitness test with 5 days notice and no training.. i busted my ass and got it done and im in the army now.. bust your self and do you best. the fitness part is only the first hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

deckycoop wrote: »
    well u can not turn up and you wont get another interview every.or u can call up army man power and ask to move it test but that will only get you a week or two.. but after you do the fitness part you have a aptitude test, medical and also a final interview.

i did my fitness test with 5 days notice and no training.. i busted my ass and got it done and im in the army now.. bust your self and do you best. the fitness part is only the first hurdle.

Would you really never be accepted for application again if you didn't show?? I am exactly in the boat you were, being trying to keep up school work as I'm in Leaving Cert year so I haven't been training much except for soccer every day at lunch times and 5 days notice.. I've no excuses really for not training but I lost hope when I didn't hear anything back after applying the first day :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

OP il be honest. In the DF you regularly have to bust your ass, ready or not. As a soldier you are expected to just feckin do it, get the job done....end of.

If slight shoulder pain is stopping you from performing 60 seconds of push ups then you will be in a world of hurt in training.

I'm not for a second suggesting you are lazy btw or suggesting that you should potentially injure yourself further for the hope of a place in a Recruit Platoon.

It comes down to this. If you want it, you'll do it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Bear in mind the fitness test is an absolute minimum standard, train to absolutely smash it because you can add another 0 to the end of the push up requirements and that's how many you could be doing per day in recruit training, along with runs, circuit sessions and route marches every day of the week.

Physical fitness is a huge part of it and the fitter you are the less pressure there is on you during training.

Good luck!

OP il be honest. In the DF you regularly have to bust your ass, ready or not. As a soldier you are expected to just feckin do it, get the job done....end of.

If slight shoulder pain is stopping you from performing 60 seconds of push ups then you will be in a world of hurt in training.

I'm not for a second suggesting you are lazy btw or suggesting that you should potentially injure yourself further for the hope of a place in a Recruit Platoon.

It comes down to this. If you want it, you'll do it.

Best of luck.

I know I sound a bit soft and I'm sorry about that! I've wanted to be a soldier since I was small really but I was unsure whether I'd pass or not but reading this post has solidified my determination to get through it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Malabeans

Saxo wrote: »
    Hello I got an email today about the Fitness test being next Thursday, the run I know I will pass and hopefully on the day I'll run it faster than I normally would but I'm having slight problems with my shoulder recently and I don't know if its worth my while to attempt it this year? :confused: I can do maybe 10-15 push ups before it starts to lock up its a pain! Don't wanna turn up on the day and look a fool for not being able to do the 20 push ups, just wondering would anyone have advice for me? thanks.
    I doubt the people conducting the test would think you look a fool for attempting the pushups, there might be next year too, hopefully.

Malabeans wrote: »
    I doubt the people conducting the test would think you look a fool for attempting the pushups, there might be next year too, hopefully.

Well I think it'd give the impression that I haven't prepared or trained for this and won't be taken seriously :/ The last few weeks have been hit or miss with training as things kept popping up between school and family and I just couldn't find time to prepare as thoroughly as I should have, hopefully I can do it again next year should I fail..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Do shoulder stretches every morning and before you to bed, try increase the number of push ups u can do everyday before it,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Well I think it'd give the impression that I haven't prepared or trained for this and won't be taken seriously :/ The last few weeks have been hit or miss with training as things kept popping up between school and family and I just couldn't find time to prepare as thoroughly as I should have, hopefully I can do it again next year should I fail..

look up 100pushups.com (I think it is)

most people without even trying could do 14-15 good pushups before ever practising
    that site helps you reach 100 over 6weeks I think it is or 8weeks not too sure

basicly you don't do 20 in a row
    you do sets, it helps increase your endurance which in return helps you do more push ups

20push ups is a peice of cake
    it takes barly any practice

stretch your shoulder every morning and before you start push ups
    then stretch straight after push ups
    once you gain endurance it will help relieve some pressure of your shoulder meaning you can do more

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    look up 100pushups.com (I think it is)

most people without even trying could do 14-15 good pushups before ever practising
    that site helps you reach 100 over 6weeks I think it is or 8weeks not too sure

basicly you don't do 20 in a row
    you do sets, it helps increase your endurance which in return helps you do more push ups

20push ups is a peice of cake
    it takes barly any practice

stretch your shoulder every morning and before you start push ups
    then stretch straight after push ups
    once you gain endurance it will help relieve some pressure of your shoulder meaning you can do more

Thanks man! I only have till Thursday to push my numbers up a bit more but ill stretch it loads and i'll stop boxing for the week as it really stiffens my shoulders sometimes.

• Advertisement

Thanks man! I only have till Thursday to push my numbers up a bit more but ill stretch it loads and i'll stop boxing for the week as it really stiffens my shoulders sometimes.

Yeah boxing is rough on the shoulders alright, just do the stretch an you ll be grand try do 20 every morning honestly 20 push ups is piss easy i wouldnt worry about it to be honest! where you goin for your test ive mine thursday aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

You box and can't manage 20 press ups?

I did recruit training with a boxer. The lad could do bastard burpee's until the cpls got tired looking at him.

20 push ups is an absolute minimum. Some one above mentioned 200 push ups a day?

200 pushup before lunch with a 100 burpee's and countless mountain climbers sounds more realistic.

All in all training isn't unbelievably hard if you don't mind being tired and passed off for 17 weeks. 3* training will be when you really see what people are made of.

Oh and I trained relatively lately. Our training is cushy in comparison to training 10 years ago. Very cushy!

Horusire wrote: »
    You box and can't manage 20 press ups?

I did recruit training with a boxer. The lad could do bastard burpee's until the cpls got tired looking at him.

20 push ups is an absolute minimum. Some one above mentioned 200 push ups a day?

200 pushup before lunch with a 100 burpee's and countless mountain climbers sounds more realistic.

All in all training isn't unbelievably hard if you don't mind being tired and passed off for 17 weeks. 3* training will be when you really see what people are made of.

Oh and I trained relatively lately. Our training is cushy in comparison to training 10 years ago. Very cushy!

Yes I box and can't do the 20.. I injured my shoulder about two years ago so I haven't done a whole lot of push ups since then so it's gone a bit weak, burpee's are horrible! we used to have one night of training solely dedicated to doing them I don't miss it! :P I'm trying not to think that far ahead as I haven't even passed yet but I hope I'll be able to stick it!

evo2000 wrote: »
    Yeah boxing is rough on the shoulders alright, just do the stretch an you ll be grand try do 20 every morning honestly 20 push ups is piss easy i wouldnt worry about it to be honest! where you goin for your test ive mine thursday aswell

Been foam rolling my legs a lot too to get them nice and relaxed for the running, I'll be happy with myself if I get the 20 and if I do i'll be doing a lot of work on bringing that number up :) I'm goin to Cork! what about yourself? :)

Been foam rolling my legs a lot too to get them nice and relaxed for the running, I'll be happy with myself if I get the 20 and if I do i'll be doing a lot of work on bringing that number up :) I'm goin to Cork! what about yourself? :)

Nice, keep at it anyway! you can only do ur best! eat plenty of carbs all week give yeah more energy!

Ive mine at 10:30 in cork aswell!

Nice, keep at it anyway! you can only do ur best! eat plenty of carbs all week give yeah more energy!

Ive mine at 10:30 in cork aswell!

I'll be on pasta for the week haha! Mine's at 2 o'clock :) best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Just a tip for people hoping to get to recruit training, with regards push-ups is don't be training to do 20 now just to get you past the fitness test.

I remember my first few weeks of training. On inspection in the morning, you will fail, resulting in push ups. You did them on the NCOs count, usually being held in the half position every 10 or so. It started with 20 then gradually climbing to 50-70 etc You will be doing push ups for the platoon sergeant, commander, the flag and baby Jesus! :P

After this inspection you would have a room inspection, obviously failing. Again, 50-60 push-ups. Then the hallway or the toilets won't be up to standard, and again the whole platoon will be brought outside and put through more push ups.

This all within 40 minutes to an hour.

Not to mention you will be doing push ups in battle gear, ie a loaded battlevest, body armour and a rifle and helmet and a daysack.

One thing I would do different if I was starting over is work on upper body strength a few months before hand.

Also fcuk Burpees, they are the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Just a tip for people hoping to get to recruit training, with regards push-ups is don't be training to do 20 now just to get you past the fitness test.

I remember my first few weeks of training. On inspection in the morning, you will fail, resulting in push ups. You did them on the NCOs count, usually being held in the half position every 10 or so. It started with 20 then gradually climbing to 50-70 etc You will be doing push ups for the platoon sergeant, commander, the flag and baby Jesus! :P

After this inspection you would have a room inspection, obviously failing. Again, 50-60 push-ups. Then the hallway or the toilets won't be up to standard, and again the whole platoon will be brought outside and put through more push ups.

Not to mention you will be doing push ups in battle gear, ie a loaded battlevest, body armour and a rifle and helmet and a daysack.

One thing I would do different if I was starting over is work on upper body strength a few months before hand.

Is there time in the day/week during recruit training to go to the gym/lift weights? What about taking part in DF sports during recruit training? Thank you.

Remmy wrote: »
    Is there time in the day/week during recruit training to go to the gym/lift weights? What about taking part in DF sports during recruit training? Thank you.

First question....simply no! You will be too fecking busy for that lark. Normally your day is planned out from 0600 to 2359.

Secondly...very rarely will a Recruit be permitted to partake in official DF sports. Unless you are some GAA superstar or something. Either way, they don't want you getting injured playing stick ball when you are meant to get injured playing army.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Remmy wrote: »

The last thing you will be wanting during training is further training! The only weights you will be lifting will be you're bagpack and a GPMG and the odd weight when or if you are doing circuits.

• Advertisement

Whats the deal with convictions and that, ive no convictions but i have been arrested years back for underage drinking and stupid **** like that when i was about 15 im 24 now like will this stand against me ? im in excellent shape and am really hoping that daft stuff wont stand against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Having Done my training recently this is still bang on the money, And all this is before the days pt session.

You Cannot be fit enough going into recruit training don't be that guy that leaves in the first few weeks because he can't keep up/ gets injured because they haven't prepared him/herself.

Whats the deal with convictions and that, ive no convictions but i have been arrested years back for underage drinking and stupid **** like that when i was about 15 im 24 now like will this stand against me ? im in excellent shape and am really hoping that daft stuff wont stand against me.

Garda vetting / security clearance is done on each applicant. I'm not 100% sure at what stage it happens or indeed what is classed as a "non issue".

Underage drinking *shouldn't* be a problem but it really depends how many times you have been arrested and what info AGS hold against you.

Being in excellent shape now, has no bearing on past brushes with authority. The DF don't generally like people who don't fall in line.

Hope it works out for you though.

Garda vetting / security clearance is done on each applicant. I'm not 100% sure at what stage it happens or indeed what is classed as a "non issue".

Underage drinking *shouldn't* be a problem but it really depends how many times you have been arrested and what info AGS hold against you.

Being in excellent shape now, has no bearing on past brushes with authority. The DF don't generally like people who don't fall in line.

Hope it works out for you though.

I know that, what i ment by excellent shape is that ive put in the work an itll be sickening if something daft that i did nearly 10 years ago stands against me
    when i havent had a brush in with the law since like.

I know that, what i ment by excellent shape is that ive put in the work an itll be sickening if something daft that i did nearly 10 years ago stands against me
    when i havent had a brush in with the law since like.

Ah I get ya. It would be a pity if something small from the past stopped you getting in.

Anecdotally, in the past, people who ended up in front of a judge had the option of jail or the army! :pac:

Ah I get ya. It would be a pity if something small from the past stopped you getting in.

Anecdotally, in the past, people who ended up in front of a judge had the option of jail or the army! :pac:

oh the irony... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Sorry about the little off-topic but no one has mentioned sit-ups just yet? I have no problem with doing 20 or so push-ups for the fitness test. But I might have some trouble at sit-ups which I have never been good at. And I can't find information anywhere about what kind of sit-ups they use there, and is someone holding your legs or not?

No one holds your legs. The sit ups are on military.ie

Go check it out

Nice little spanner thrown in the works there for me... ****in doctor is taken a half day and cant see me to sign the medical form until 10 o clock tomorrow, only problem with that is i have to be in cork at 10:30...from clare.. wonder would i be able to reschedule my fitness test ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Malabeans

Nice little spanner thrown in the works there for me... ****in doctor is taken a half day and cant see me to sign the medical form until 10 o clock tomorrow, only problem with that is i have to be in cork at 10:30...from clare.. wonder would i be able to reschedule my fitness test ?
    I got in touch with Collins barracks yesterday as I had to reschedule, I haven't received any confirmation that they will give me another date though. When I rang they told me to send them an email and they'll be in touch.

Advertisement