Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Flights

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well why don't you stop beating around the bush and name the part you find dispute with ?
    Are you saying that Skyscanner covers every airline in the world on every route ? Because they don't, airlines have taken them to court for using their price data without their permission.
    Are you saying that Skyscanner don't get a commission ? Or are you saying that all airlines are signed up to giving them a commission ?

I'm not saying anything. I asked if you had any links to back up what you said? See the bold parts below.
    This is a good move. I know that a lot of people will say that Skyscanner does the same thing but Skyscanner does not have agreements with all airlines so you are not necessarily getting the cheapest price, you are just comparing fares by airlines that are signed up to giving Skyscanner a commission of any sales made through their site, which Ryanair and others refuse to do.

I think the idea of the Google version is to cover ALL flights on the route you choose and arrive at the cheapest fare. AFAIK Google are not charging the airlines a commission, they are providing it for free to get more people to use their services. So only airlines with excessive fares will want to stay out of the Google system, the likes of Ryanair are working closely with Google because they know well that a system like this will arrive at their fares as the lowest more often than not

If it works out the way it is intended then it'll be the end Skyscanner and other flight comparison sites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Mr Reese

What's the best sites then for booking accomodation after you've booked your flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I'm not saying anything. I asked if you had any links to back up what you said? See the bold parts below.

Id say that since the phrases "I think" and "AFAIK" are used in the post then it can be assumed that this is the user speaking from their own understanding. Otherwise they were have referenced a price of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Mr Reese wrote: »
    What's the best sites then for booking accomodation after you've booked your flight?

I find Trivago to be good, but I'd be interested to know if there are any better comparison sites for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Weird, I'm getting cheaper prices with skyscanner ... happen anyone else?

Don't think that they give the final price like google do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Haven't been looking for flights extensively last few days on numerous sites and apps, tried google their and got same cheapest price but with a different airline going a completely different route.. Head scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Is this the one Ryanair were talkin about partnering with Google on?

Pity these two big technological giants (more about google now) spam my e-mail inbox (sender ip: 195.27.14.158) with not correct "unsubscribe" link in the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Article below outlines what's in it for Google and Ryanair. Google just want the ad revenue that they get from you buying flights and then ancillaries like taxis, hotels and car hire. Ryanair are going in with google because their system allows them to sell their flights without having to pay google a commission for the click through.
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/readme/ryanair-and-google-partnership-–-what’s-in-it-for-us-1291150-Jan2014/

It's my opinion that if the Google system works they way they plan it to, (I.e cover all prices on all routes to generate the consumer the cheapest option plus other options) then the likes of Skyscanner will be in trouble. Why? Well simply because airlines will be able to sell their flights for 10% cheaper on the Google system because they aren't paying Google a commission like they are Skyscanner. Skyscanner will still exist for sure but provided Google can produce more flight results at cheaper prices than Skyscanner then Google Flights will become the first port of call for any budget conscious savvy consumer. It's early days yet and no doubt there is kinks that have to be ironed out but if you were the CEO of Skyscanner you'd be pretty worried now that Google has moved onto your front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

it would certainly make interesting reading, since Ryanair were quoted on it the last time I looked.

A cynic would suggest Ryanair have an agreement with Google that skyscanner refused to give them, e.g to only compare Ryanair to the most expensive versions of a competitor's fare.

Wouldn't be surprised if they gave unbiased search results for the first year or so, til they are established as a go-to search engine for flights.
    Then they can start the usual evil google stuff like tailoring search results based on sponsorship/partnerships and what they think you want (like pushing towards a certain airline just because your google search history mentions it)

Article below outlines what's in it for Google and Ryanair. Google just want the ad revenue that they get from you buying flights and then ancillaries like taxis, hotels and car hire. Ryanair are going in with google because their system allows them to sell their flights without having to pay google a commission for the click through.
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/readme/ryanair-and-google-partnership-–-what’s-in-it-for-us-1291150-Jan2014/

It's my opinion that if the Google system works they way they plan it to, (I.e cover all prices on all routes to generate the consumer the cheapest option plus other options) then the likes of Skyscanner will be in trouble. Why? Well simply because airlines will be able to sell their flights for 10% cheaper on the Google system because they aren't paying Google a commission like they are Skyscanner. Skyscanner will still exist for sure but provided Google can produce more flight results at cheaper prices than Skyscanner then Google Flights will become the first port of call for any budget conscious savvy consumer. It's early days yet and no doubt there is kinks that have to be ironed out but if you were the CEO of Skyscanner you'd be pretty worried now that Google has moved onto your front garden.
    Also Google get more data to mine if people are logged in to Google as they search. More data to link to the info they already have from people's android, google maps, google search, gmail, Drive, and Play usage.

• Advertisement

This is a good move. I know that a lot of people will say that Skyscanner does the same thing but Skyscanner does not have agreements with all airlines so you are not necessarily getting the cheapest price, you are just comparing fares by airlines that are signed up to giving Skyscanner a commission of any sales made through their site, which Ryanair and others refuse to do.

I often get Ryanair show up in my Skyscanner results

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think the idea of the Google version is to cover ALL flights on the route you choose and arrive at the cheapest fare. AFAIK Google are not charging the airlines a commission, they are providing it for free to get more people to use their services. So only airlines with excessive fares will want to stay out of the Google system, the likes of Ryanair are working closely with Google because they know well that a system like this will arrive at their fares as the lowest more often than not

If it works out the way it is intended then it'll be the end Skyscanner and other flight comparison sites.

This post is completely wrong

http://www.skyscanner.net/news/skyscanner-and-ryanair-cease-and-desist-situation-clarified

To clarify the situation: this refers to a cease and desist order that was issued to Skyscanner several months ago. Ryanair has since informed Skyscanner that its flight details could be displayed on the site.

This decision is based on the fact that Skyscanner is different to the vast majority of other sites listed, in that Skyscanner cut out the middleman, offering users a direct link to the airline’s official website to book their flights.

Ryanair spokesman, Stephen McNamara, also publicly stated that Skyscanner is okay to use, and said Ryanair does not have a problem with the site.

Advertisement