Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Flights

Options
  • 27-03-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Came accross this while searching for summer flights, might be of use to some. Google page that searches for cheap flights worldwide from Ireland(or anywhere).

https://www.google.ie/flights/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

This is Google partnering with ITA software matrix I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

This looks very good to me very quick and easy to use.....I like the way its suggests "save €21 by depating 1 day earlier" and so on...
    I've only looked at one example for ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MOL mentioned this earlier in the year. looks good

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Pretty cool. You can see the price increase when teachers are off and then primary teachers, ouch. Hate going out with a teacher :( (only for this reason though :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Slaanesh wrote: »
    Pretty cool. You can see the price increase when teachers are off and then primary teachers, ouch. Hate going out with a teacher :( (only for this reason though :))

I feel your pain :(

Really really cool tool though! thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Nice and fast, I like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Real nice find, very fast and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

same here

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I too feel your pain :( How dare they teach people during certain dates?!? :pac:

• Advertisement

I too feel your pain :( How dare they teach people during certain dates?!? :pac:
    It's be great if schools could change their holiday dates, that would stagger it and even out demand.
    But I think there's laws in place that dictate all schools take the same holidays (so parents with children in multiple schools will have them off at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

that is fairly impressive i must admit !! good find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is a good move. I know that a lot of people will say that Skyscanner does the same thing but Skyscanner does not have agreements with all airlines so you are not necessarily getting the cheapest price, you are just comparing fares by airlines that are signed up to giving Skyscanner a commission of any sales made through their site, which Ryanair and others refuse to do.

I think the idea of the Google version is to cover ALL flights on the route you choose and arrive at the cheapest fare. AFAIK Google are not charging the airlines a commission, they are providing it for free to get more people to use their services. So only airlines with excessive fares will want to stay out of the Google system, the likes of Ryanair are working closely with Google because they know well that a system like this will arrive at their fares as the lowest more often than not

If it works out the way it is intended then it'll be the end Skyscanner and other flight comparison sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This is a good move. I know that a lot of people will say that Skyscanner does the same thing but Skyscanner does not have agreements with all airlines so you are not necessarily getting the cheapest price, you are just comparing fares by airlines that are signed up to giving Skyscanner a commission of any sales made through their site, which Ryanair and others refuse to do.

I think the idea of the Google version is to cover ALL flights on the route you choose and arrive at the cheapest fare. AFAIK Google are not charging the airlines a commission, they are providing it for free to get more people to use their services. So only airlines with excessive fares will want to stay out of the Google system, the likes of Ryanair are working closely with Google because they know well that a system like this will arrive at their fares as the lowest more often than not

If it works out the way it is intended then it'll be the end Skyscanner and other flight comparison sites.

Do you have any links to back up any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Nice find, doesn't seem to have as many options as skyscanner for those that just want to go somewhere cheap at any given time (i.e. searching for a month period in anywhere in the world) but still playing around with it. Although I much prefer that it now only lists prices direct with the carriers which SS used to do but now has an annoying tendency to always list 3rd party potentially unreliable travel agents as the best price.

pauleoin wrote: »
    Came accross this while searching for summer flights, might be of use to some. Google page that searches for cheap flights worldwide from Ireland(or anywhere).

https://www.google.ie/flights/

It's very quick and comprehensive.

On the other hand it shows the all seeing eye of Google. The first time I launched it, it showed the last search I did on Kayak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It doesn't check third party sites, just the airlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

it would certainly make interesting reading, since Ryanair were quoted on it the last time I looked.

A cynic would suggest Ryanair have an agreement with Google that skyscanner refused to give them, e.g to only compare Ryanair to the most expensive versions of a competitor's fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is there a way to give it a budget like €100 or less and let it find you flights somewhere?
    You know, if you had some time free and just wanted to visit somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

can you actually go on to book the flight following the search or do you have to go to the airline website and feed in all the details again?

Ryanair pee me off that you can't pick a destination, which requires a connecting flight, and book in one swoop start to finish.

E.g. to go to Athens. I have to book flights Dub to London separately and then London to Athens (same on return). It's messy and ends up costing a fortune particularly if you bring a bag.

EDIT: Aha, now i see how to book. COOOOOOL!!!!!!! I liiiiiike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Does anyone know if there are settings (in either Skyscanner or Google flights) for multiple airlines? For example I am looking for one way flights from Glasgow to Dublin and as it's a busy date the cheapest is €127 wqith BA via Heathrow. I don't mind the stopover as the direct flights are pretty steep and it would still be quicker than ferry/train via Belfast. However, I know if I fly BA to Heathrow and Aer Lingus to London it will only cost €80 but this is not shown on either site. It just seems to choose one airline for entire journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is there a way to give it a budget like €100 or less and let it find you flights somewhere?
    You know, if you had some time free and just wanted to visit somewhere?

There is indeed. Put in your criteria (destination and dates) and then there are other options such as price. I've atatched a sxcreenshot. Sorry about the sizing but as I think I've just saved it over a work document you better appreciate it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Collie D wrote: »
    There is indeed. Put in your criteria (destination and dates) and then there are other options such as price. I've atatched a sxcreenshot. Sorry about the sizing but as I think I've just saved it over a work document you better appreciate it :p

here ya go mate: vr39g6.png

easiest thing to do in future to save yourself the hassle is to open it in paint and save as image

It's been public knowledge for at least a month now, google 'Ryanair Google' and you'll find the joint announcement that Google & Ryanair issued last month outlining how this new system will work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Try teaching in England. My first week of the summer holidays is the third week of July. I'll have to take a mortgage out to get a reasonable flight.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It's been public knowledge for at least a month now, google 'Ryanair Google' and you'll find the joint announcement that Google & Ryanair issued last month outlining how this new system will work

I read the announcement. Couldn't miss it. So you just made up the rest then?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Weird, I'm getting cheaper prices with skyscanner ... happen anyone else?

I read the announcement. Couldn't miss it. So you just made up the rest then?

Well why don't you stop beating around the bush and name the part you find dispute with ?
    Are you saying that Skyscanner covers every airline in the world on every route ? Because they don't, airlines have taken them to court for using their price data without their permission.
    Are you saying that Skyscanner don't get a commission ? Or are you saying that all airlines are signed up to giving them a commission ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Very impressive and soooo easy to use :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

This is Google partnering with ITA software matrix I think?

One and the same. However they went slightly further than partnering ITA and just bought the company.

In fairness it is **** hot piece of technology that is in the background.

Advertisement