Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best open world games?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just Cause 2 wasnt boring, the story missions were incredibly well made, Fry me to the Moon is one of the best GTA-style missions Ive ever done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka5GQCMssos

It was repetitive but the grappling hook and flying bits never got old. Bring on JC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I managed a whole 30 minutes before i got bored and uninstalled it tbh. Saying that I tend to get bored of most GTA styled games so not really unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

macker33 wrote: »
    Main char is irish as well so thats an added bonus. For me the game has everything,

He's Irish in the same way that the main character in 'Allo 'Allo! was French.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sleeping dogs is on sale this weekend on steam. I swear to god steam is stalking me looking for games to put on sale that I would buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

macker33 wrote: »
    I absolutely loved it to bits but once you clear it there isnt anything to really do. I got the full 1000points gamescore on it and i dont tend to try and do that for many games.

Main char is irish as well so thats an added bonus. For me the game has everything,

Now there's a ringing endorsement. I may need to pick this up so. I hope your taste is the same as mine macker! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Now there's a ringing endorsement. I may need to pick this up so. I hope your taste is the same as mine macker! :p

I hope so too, i'd hate for you to waste your money.

check red dead redemption too if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Pac1Man wrote: »
    . I hope your taste is the same as mine macker! :p

Click on his signature and find out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ah far cry 3, what a magnificent game.

I'll never forget that special moment as I used a flamethrower on a certain mission......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Thargor wrote: »
    Just Cause 2 wasnt boring, the story missions were incredibly well made, Fry me to the Moon is one of the best GTA-style missions Ive ever done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka5GQCMssos

It was repetitive but the grappling hook and flying bits never got old. Bring on JC3.

I felt the same about JC2, loved it. If they can get some variety and put some more things to do in the massive world then a JC3 could be even better.

JC2 remains the game that has my favourite unscripted moment in a game as well. Supposed to catch a bad guy escaping in a helicopter. Didn't get to him in time so off he flies. Grapple on to one of the gas cans, shoot it while still attached, it flies into the air, I jump off it and grapple onto the helicopter, kill the pilot, get in, fly toward building, jump out. Boom! Mission over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Click on his signature and find out ;)

Never knew that was possible.:o

Yes, similar tastes. I'm now on the hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

If you're looking for open world games like GTA that are realistic then you are looking for the Mafia games.

Especially the first one on PC (was ported to PS2 and Xbox). Brilliant game, cannot recommend it highly enough, and very realistic. Speed limits, can't run red lights, cars damage properly, (in the sense that transmission can break and engines overheat) you're only able to carry one large gun and you'll be arrested for walking around the street with one in your hands, the list goes on. Yeah, really great game.

While I really liked Mafia II as well I wish they'd made it more true to the original realism wise.

Edit: Of the less realistic non-fantasy sandbox games, I think the best ones are Sleeping Dogs, Episodes from Liberty City and Saints Row 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Freelancer, if you don't mind dated graphics and it being in space.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, again not great graphics, great game though.

Rust if you're really looking for open world realism. Might be too realistic/open.

Day Z is open and pretty realistic, does contain zombies though.

All of these are for the PC, Freelancer and S.T.A.L.K.E.R are older, so should run on most PCs.

Forgot about S.T.A.L.K.E.R, amazing game, nothing else like it really. I keep meaning to mod them to the max and play through them again.

Crackdown and Prototype are still 2 of my fav 360 games, wasnt too impressed by the sequels for either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Magill wrote: »
    I managed a whole 30 minutes before i got bored and uninstalled it tbh. Saying that I tend to get bored of most GTA styled games so not really unexpected.

If you're talking about Just Cause 2, I had a similar experience. Kinda burnt-out on that style of game after the high-water mark of Vice City.

Red Faction: Guerrilla is the one game in the genre that really worked for me. Deconstructing structures feels great, whether it be with methodically-placed remote mines or by flying off a ridge in a truck and finishing the job with a space-sledgehammer.

Saints Row 3 is still on my to-do list.

Red Faction:Guerrilla was great alright, might replay it, every mission strated off with me ploughing a truck covered in remote mines into the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

sin0city wrote: »
    If you're looking for open world games like GTA that are realistic then you are looking for the Mafia games.

Especially the first one on PC (was ported to PS2 and Xbox). Brilliant game, cannot recommend it highly enough, and very realistic. Speed limits, can't run red lights, cars damage properly, (in the sense that transmission can break and engines overheat) you're only able to carry one large gun and you'll be arrested for walking around the street with one in your hands, the list goes on. Yeah, really great game.

+1.
    Fantasic game. Wasnt expecting a whole lot but was blown away by it. And that infamous racing track mission...jaysus!!! :pac:
    Pity number 2 wasn't up to much.

Advertisement