Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best open world games?

Options
  • 27-03-2014 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

When I say open world games I mean where you are free to roam without having to play the story lines straight away a bit like the Grand theft Auto games. I am also looking for realistic games like GTA and not fantasy games.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ryanciara wrote: »

When I say open world games I mean where you are free to roam without having to play the story lines straight away a bit like the Grand theft Auto games. I am also looking for realistic games like GTA and not fantasy games.

Thanks for your help.

Mjhj2MC.gif

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭ryanciara

Well all in all it is one of the most realistic open world games around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sleeping dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Red Dead Redemption. Amazing realisation of America's wild west. Great story & the hunting would keep you occupied for weeks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

far cry 3 maybe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Far Cry 3 is pretty brilliant.

The Elder Scrolls games are also fantastic. I know they have issues, but from an open world point of view they are great.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are realistic, aren't they?

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are realistic, aren't they?

i believe the criteria are "no elves and no staffs with a knob on the end"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GTA is probably the most open world in that the world ticks away in the background. ARMA games have a huge open world but pretty much nothing happens outside of the current mission.

The assassin's creed games have a living open world, but they're few and far between, it only recently enough game companies have started making open worlds rather than levels.

Saints Row 2 baby! Fallout & GTA.. Just cause 2 oh and a rare gem called The Saboteur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Saints Row and Just Cause games

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Just cause 2.

jesus can't believe I forgot just cause 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I rented the first Just Cause and it looked nice and all, but the actual game in terms of missions, etc. was really dull. Was Just Cause 2 another game full of stupid fetch quests? I figured the sequel was like the first, not so much about story or missions but about being able to do some crazy stuff in game. That's great and all, but isn't the sort of thing that'd hold my interest.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I rented the first Just Cause and it looked nice and all, but the actual game in terms of missions, etc. was really dull. Was Just Cause 2 another game full of stupid fetch quests? I figured the sequel was like the first, not so much about story or missions but about being able to do some crazy stuff in game. That's great and all, but isn't the sort of thing that'd hold my interest.

never played 1 but 2 was great fun for several hours until all of a sudden it became unbelievably boring and samey

still well worth full price though for the fun I had while it was fun

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Was Just Cause 2 another game full of stupid fetch quests?
    It's great fun for a while but it gets repetitive pretty quickly. It should be nice and cheap by now it's well worth it for a while and I think there's an expansion now that brings in multiplayer that allows hundreds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

LiamKK1982 wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption. Amazing realisation of America's wild west. Great story & the hunting would keep you occupied for weeks!

Excellent game! One of my all time favourites.
    i believe the criteria are "no elves and no staffs with a knob on the end"

Elves and staffs in Fallout?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

saboteur and red dead redemption, L.a. noir,batman arkham city as well but i'm not sure how open world you could call that because its pretty small

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Another vote for Red Dead Redemption here. Was playing Saints Row 3 last night, I'm still torn on which I prefer most between 2 and 3. Haven't played 4, but it ramps the silly and absurd up to 15 with super powers and all that, so it may not be the sort of thing you're looking for OP.

GTA San Andreas hasn't aged very well in the looks department, but it's still an outstanding game and a huge game world to play in.

Someone mentioned Sleeping Dogs, that's a very fun game. The Assassins Creed games could also get a small look in.

Does anyone remember Spiderman 2? That was a whole lot of fun, swinging around the city at full speed never got old. Jaysus, I just looked it up and it's 10 years old! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Far Cry 3 - One of my favourite story campaign's in a game last gen, was great up until a certain character dies in it after that I started too lose interest

Red Dead Redemption - loved every minute of it , hoping theirs a number 2, online sucked though IMHO, but with the dlc which is really like an expansion it kept me going for a few months

GTA5 - Fun, I liked the story , loved the characters but went dull pretty fast after the story

Theirs loads more but since your looking for realistic I'd say the top 3 are closest too it.

Regarding Sleeping dogs, Story was good, gameplay was utter crap imo, the combat system was repetitive , the open world part? dunno how it could be called open world, sure their was a big map, you drive, but even the driving felt like a mario kart race, physics were way off, their was a rep system if I remember, you kill civs you lose rep(I think) but no cops would chace after you, every building looked fake, it just looked as if the buildings were cardboard, their for the sake of making it look like a city, with roads and people around.
    the games open world part sucked, the gameplay was repetitive but the story was good, its worth it for the price now think its like a 5er online? but thank god I never bought it, got it off the games for gold thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Saints row 2 was my favourite of that franchise mainly because of coop campaign everything was synced up cut scences and random ai incounters my buddy and I would hear tge exact same comments from the ai at the same time..

Simple things like that made saints row 2 better than the rest imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What are people's thoughts on The Saboteur? I've been tempted to pick it up a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Just Cause 2 for sure. It's massive and thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Pac1Man wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on The Saboteur? I've been tempted to pick it up a few times.

The accents are terrible and the graphics weren't great but the game itself was quite enjoyable. There is an element of RPG too, as you could choose what weapons and skills to use.

Think GTA in WW2 Paris, mixed with Hitman and Assassins Creed. Due mainly to the fact of a climbing system and if you beat enemys to death, you could take their uniform.

With as cheap as it probably is now, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

I'm an FPS guys and I hate linear scripted games, so that really limits me. The original Far Cry was my favorite game for years, I didn't like Far Cry 2, and then I loved Far Cry 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Pac1Man wrote: »

I absolutely loved it to bits but once you clear it there isnt anything to really do. I got the full 1000points gamescore on it and i dont tend to try and do that for many games.

Main char is irish as well so thats an added bonus. For me the game has everything,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ozexpat

fallout 3 defo my favourite, thinking of that must try new vegas although a mate said its not got the same roaming element so loses a bit of atmosphere..

its old but trying elder scrolls oblivion at the moment, seems very glitchy (xbox 360)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

FFVII :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

Tomb raider :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I could never really get into Just Cause 2. I don't like that engine it runs on, same as Sleeping Dogs.

The Witcher series and Skyrim have pretty amazing worlds.

Advertisement