Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90% of consumers think farmers are getting a raw deal

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Farrell wrote: »
    Apologies, it's a older thread.
    I agree with most of your posts, just on the spreading of milk point, should this ever arise (hopefully not), would it not be better to give to consumers for free, even though it won't be pasteurized, be a shame to put a quality product to loss.
    I thought what the ifa (not a member) did before Christmas was a good idea, handing out the free veg was a good idea, & shows it's not farmer v consumer.

It would not be possible this milk is not pasturised so it would have to be processed. The whole point would be withdrawal of product so that consumers would put pressure processors/supermarkets to return a sustainable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

Was at a fmp meeting in carlow a few years back . It wasveer sry late they held one further up the country before it . It was all bluster . They were all set to spill milk at the start of thr meeting and had talked themselves ouy of it by thr end
    . As someone said you cant get a simple unity among farmers to do ssomething like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

But a huge majority did. In any industry you will have one or two who cannot run good operations. We also forget that some of those of poorish land that were over expanded may have suffered most. These may also have expanded without quota so may have been caught in a double whammy.

At present sheep farming on goodish land is quite profitable. The biggest reason is that the factory price of lamb is quite strong near enough 6/kg for hoggets and above 4.5/kg all year I think. If it continues you may well see a few more farmers diverge into it. Just like beef this will drop the price like a stone if production exceeds factory demand

People will have to realise that dairying won't be a gravy train and expansion will have to be sustainable, also that we are at the low end of interest rates, and to build in another 2 or 3% into their computation (stress test)
    Yea, happy enough with sheep, when I decided to change to intensive sheep, I worked out the enterprise could survive at €65/lamb and not have to touch my SFP, that was 2005 so I suppose it'd be up a bit now....the wet years were a bitch, nothing was thriving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

rancher wrote: »
    People will have to realise that dairying won't be a gravy train and expansion will have to be sustainable, also that we are at the low end of interest rates, and to build in another 2 or 3% into their computation (stress test)
    Yea, happy enough with sheep, when I decided to change to intensive sheep, I worked out the enterprise could survive at €65/lamb and not have to touch my SFP, that was 2005 so I suppose it'd be up a bit now....the wet years were a bitch, nothing was thriving

Was half contemplating something similar myself a few years back but couldn't bring myself to it. Stayed mixed. You must be farming big numbers Rancher. Do you mind me asking how many sheep you keep?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Was half contemplating something similar myself a few years back but couldn't bring myself to it. Stayed mixed. You must be farming big numbers Rancher. Do you mind me asking how many sheep you keep?

Not that big 500,
    They thrive better in a mixed farm, you don't have to make them eat down strong grass if you have cattle to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

micraX wrote: »
    What about all the cabbage I'v to rotavate up? Should I cut it and give it away for nothing? Because thats not going to happen.

I like cabbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

Since myself and the girlfriend moved in together earlier in the year both living on a tight budget between rent food and diesel for too cars and college, we buy our fruit and veg off local veg shop and other bits in aldi and what cant be got in aldi is got in Tesco( very little) you have to shop around as there is a huge difference in prices in markets

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

s8n wrote: »
    I like cabbage

Pm me if you want a few thousand bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Pm me if you want a few thousand bags.

Is it any good to feed to cattle or sheep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

It would not be possible this milk is not pasturised so it would have to be processed. The whole point would be withdrawal of product so that consumers would put pressure processors/supermarkets to return a sustainable price.

I do agree.
    Just thinking is there a plan B. We've all drank unpasteurized milk, done us no harm. Could the veg be used as feed supplements etc. Personally I don't think holding out will work, it'll just b imported (I'd hope I'm wrong).

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Is it any good to feed to cattle or sheep ?

Be good feed alright but it probably wouldn't be worth my while for feed prices.

Be good feed alright but it probably wouldn't be worth my while for feed prices.

Thats an awful pity , and massive waste of your time and money . Do you keep any livestock ? I wonder could you strip graze sheep or cattle on cabbage or would that be tying up the land for too long for you to get another crop in ?
    If you did have to give your excess produce away would it be any help for advertising by donating it to soup kitchens or things like that ? Bit of a PR exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Wouldn't really help much if he's an own label grower for supermarkets. If he was selling the produce through his own company similar to Keelings etc. it might work.

Wouldn't really help much if he's an own label grower for supermarkets. If he was selling the produce through his own company similar to Keelings etc. it might work.

Think he said he has a farm shop aswell

Thats an awful pity , and massive waste of your time and money . Do you keep any livestock ? I wonder could you strip graze sheep or cattle on cabbage or would that be tying up the land for too long for you to get another crop in ?
    If you did have to give your excess produce away would it be any help for advertising by donating it to soup kitchens or things like that ? Bit of a PR exercise
    Such waste. Least the organic matter will gain anyway.

Jaysus thats cat , it must be sickening to have to do it . :mad:
    Those are pictures for the front of the farming independent or journal , or any other paper that will have them .
    Have you to get rid of many acres ?

Jaysus thats cat , it must be sickening to have to do it . :mad:
    Those are pictures for the front of the farming independent or journal , or any other paper that will have them .
    Have you to get rid of many acres ?
    I'm always sending pictures like that to idk and they have no interest.
    About 5 acers there, another 3 in the next field.

What kind of money loss is that to you ? Would it not even pay for animal feed to pull it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

It's sad alright. Try think positive, atleast your soil is getting a good feed!

Are you usually able to sell that much, or has someone let you down( apart from Lidl/Aldi that is.) see the supermarkets are going to start selling cheap veggies again.
    Was at the turning of the sod of one of the new distilleries, said to one of the guys there that it should help the tillage farmers.....he said most of the grain would be imported:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Was at a fmp meeting in carlow a few years back . It wasveer sry late they held one further up the country before it . It was all bluster . They were all set to spill milk at the start of thr meeting and had talked themselves ouy of it by thr end
    . As someone said you cant get a simple unity among farmers to do ssomething like that

You'd see plenty in france open the tank and let it off. The irish man would say one thing at a meeting then do another when he went home.

Muckit wrote: »
    You'd see plenty in france open the tank and let it off. The irish man would say one thing at a meeting then do another when he went home.

Gave up on any ideas like that years ago

Advertisement