Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUYA Mini Console 8GB Edition - €76.49 Delivered [Amazon.com]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I've got one of these and can vouch for it. Great device for XBMC, no fuss, no IR though, so must be controlled with controller or with Yatse App on phone/tablet.

Games-wise, emulators work flawlessly for the most part, but if you have a lot of ROMS I recommend getting a low-profile USB stick to stick in the back.

The native games are much-maligned (unfairly imo) I think a lot of the negative feedback is from people expecting a AAA games-type experience, which this device cannot and will never provide. The games are, for the most part, quirky, independent, pick up and play but fun. There is a lot of dross (understanably) but some real gems too - Towerfall is a blast (supports local multiplayer) and recently ported over to PS4, Hidden in Plain Sight is great too.

I got one of these for my 10 year old nephew, mostly to stream to his room, he got an xbox 360 for christmas, but he seems to play games on this just as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

garlad wrote: »
    I've heard these have issues if you plug them into an amp/receiver with XBMC. Issues with 5.1. True?
    Also, can it be controlled with HDMI-CEC?

No, it's supposed to be coming down the line but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I was hoping for this feature too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

stooge wrote: »
    the deal included 25$ worth of game credit if you ordered before midnight last night.

Despite not really needing this I ordered it anyway :o
    Really should stay away from BA.

I ordered this yesterday but dont recall seeing anything about a $25 credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

reni10 wrote: »
    I ordered this yesterday but dont recall seeing anything about a $25 credit?

There was a note on the amazon page saying you should get a promotional email with 25$ free credit after you place your order.

this link describes the offer:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/25/deal-alert-ouya-on-sale-for-69-99-with-25-game-credit-today-only-just-in-time-to-try-the-cm-11-port/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

poldebruin wrote: »
    no IR though, so must be controlled with controller or with Yatse App on phone/tablet.

Droidmote is an excellent controller app for both gameplay and general navigation / typing. You need to put the Play Store on your machine to use it though.

For IR you can get this which allows you use most universal remotes and even an Apple TV remote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is it easy to get xbmc on to it?
    I have never used XBMC mind but seen videos and it looks easy enough

Is it easy to get xbmc on to it?
    I have never used XBMC mind but seen videos and it looks easy enough

Extremely easy. It's comes with the Ouya store. If you want to use a different version you can download and install the APK

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Price back up to $99

Price back up to $99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

stooge wrote: »
    There was a note on the amazon page saying you should get a promotional email with 25$ free credit after you place your order.

this link describes the offer:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/25/deal-alert-ouya-on-sale-for-69-99-with-25-game-credit-today-only-just-in-time-to-try-the-cm-11-port/

I did not get any email with the $25 free credit so I will have to contact Amazon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sir_love

I bought one of these on the deal. Thanks OP
    I also received the 25 euro voucher for games which i was aware of it. only got the email once the ouya was shipped

lastly i use it for xbmc. its the best. i tried a lot of other device too including apple tv, android sticks & PI.
    You can boot xbmc directly and control it using the xbmc remote so i rarely use the controller only when i need to run updates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭batistuta9

sir_love wrote: »
    I also received the 25 euro voucher for games which i was aware of it. only got the email once the ouya was shipped

lastly i use it for xbmc. its the best. i tried a lot of other device too including apple tv, android sticks & PI.
    You can boot xbmc directly and control it using the xbmc remote so i rarely use the controller only when i need to run updates

what's xmbc link on a pi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

As a matter of interest how does it compare with the chinese android sticks, like the mk908 ? I have a mk908, its fantastic performance wise, maybe a bit rough around the edges but its not far off a quad core smartphone for usage. They can be gotten for $50 as well. Seems to me that this might be a bit more polished, especially for emulators with the controller, but might be a bit sluggish with only 1gb of ram ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The Ouya is excellent as a XBMC box, not slugish at all.

There are some really fun multi-player games on it too. Possibly not in that category but I released a game on it last year "Soc-Car" if anyone would like to check it out (its small and free). Its multi-player only (no AI)

I have a new game in the works if anyone would like me to send them a demo, I would be delighted to. It's a local multi-player[1-8] collection of mini games where players control cars in different scenarios. There is AI available for playing single player.

There is more info and screen shots about it here

sir_love wrote: »

Would you recommend it at the full price it is now?

I would wait, I bought it from Amazon in the US 3 weeks ago at this price too, so it seems to be yo-yo

I think its worth €100 though, but no point spending €100 if you can spend €75 right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

Set up an alert for yourself on camelcamelcamel.com so you are alerted when the price drops again. You shouldnt have too long to wait

Aren't there issues with XBMC on this? The official version is lacking audio support for some formats or something like that. I believe there's numerous third party versions like BeyondXBMC and SPMC ....

Yeah that is correct, the version on the Ouya store has issues with some audio codecs.

But the latest version downloaded straight from XBMC will work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

I got the original offer but would not have bothered if it was full price. After doing a bit of research it seems likely that an Ouya MkII will be released either later this year or early next year. If it has a Tegra 4 or 5 then it will definitely be worth the wait.

FYI I purchased because I needed an XBMC/plex capable player for a TV. The added bonus was the games (I dont have a console). witnessmenow, I'd be interested in your game, also in a bit of dev or testing if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I will keep an eye out for another price drop and let you guys know, and would appreciate if others would PM if they do as well.

ta

A

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Thanks op for the bargain

Mine just arrived , nicely boxed , controller feels a little cheap

Currently installing an update, the on to installing xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

SPMC is a good full working version of XBMC.

Kainy is great little app to stream your pc games to your telly through ouya.

http://ouyaforum.com/ is a handy website if you have the ouya.

A couple of suggestions for new Ouya owners -

Root and put the Google Play Store on it.
    Baxy launcher is better than the stock one.
    Put Droidmote on it to allow control from phone / tablet . There server costs a couple of € but is worth it.

I'd imagine putting Cyanogenmod on it would make the first two suggestions redundant but CM doesn't sound stable yet. I'm going to give it a while longer.

Check out iStream repo for xbmc
    Use Yatse to control xbmc on your Ouya

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Hi Quick question for anyone that bought this on the US website - did this come with a Universal adapter plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sir_love

rtron wrote: »
    Hi Quick question for anyone that bought this on the US website - did this come with a Universal adapter plug?

No it comes with a US plug... mine arrived yesterday. I just use XBMC from store and dont have issues. JUst use fusion to install wizard and set up in 5 minutes

Anyone have better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

HI Sir - were you able to use the US plug in Ireland though was the Voltage ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

I used the us plug with a travel adapter and is working ok.

Has anyone got Netflix working ok ?

On mine the top of the Netflix screen is cut off and you have to use the mouse pad to click on a video.

I was hoping it would be as good as the Netflix wii app

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Wcool

HI Sir - were you able to use the US plug in Ireland though was the Voltage ok?

Yes the adapter is 110-240v. But as mentioned, American plug.

Note: I first thought my Ouya didn't work, screen was blank. But it turns out my LCD TV is too old. The Ouya does 60hz 1080p, but my telly can handle only 1080i 30Hz. I am looking into some third party mods now that force the Ouya to display at 720p. Just mention this in case someone bumps into something similar.

Another word of warning: you have to put in our credit card details in advance.
    I was flipping through the store and saw You Don't Know Jack! I hit the buy button AND WITHOUT ANY CONFIRMATION the game was bought right there (9 euro). None of the games have pricing information upfront on them either. I was a bit pissed off.

• Advertisement

was the Voltage ok?

Voltage is fine. It's 100v - 240v

Advertisement