Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding the chainring

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

One more question: since I'm mostly commuting under 12km a day and mostly in traffic, would clipless still be recommended?

I would use them, and do for my 4km each way daily commute, but I love them and use the easy to walk in type. I'd even pop them on to go to the shops!

Smacl and Lumen's suggestion of the half clip things is an interesting alternative. Don't get proper toe-straps though. They're actually harder to learn than clipless and they're not as good. I wasted time learning how to use the ones that came on my 7.5fx and wish I'd just gone straight to clipless.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

One more question: since I'm mostly commuting under 12km a day and mostly in traffic, would clipless still be recommended?

Not necessarily. But if the inconvenience of changing your shoes is less than the inconvenience of changing your wound dressing, then yes, I suppose. I cycled 75 km in SPDs on Sunday and then 25 km in runners afterwards. My feet were much further back on the pedals when I was in the runners. I noticed because my heels were banging off my panniers even though they had been clearing them earlier.

I don't think I'd bother with clipless myself for those distances. But I wouldn't wear any old shoes, either. My feet get sore if I cycle up more than a hill or two in shoes with soles that are too flexible. I have a pair of runners I can't run in because the sole doesn't flex - those are great for long bike rides. Runners that I can actually run in are useless for cycling and have to be transported to where I want to run in panniers. Mildly inconvenient but at this stage I know what works for me and what doesn't.

Hope you get it all sorted soon anyway and that the LBS are helpful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I don't think I'd bother with clipless myself for those distances. But I wouldn't wear any old shoes, either.

The type of pedal also plays a part here. I find any SPD pedals with a cage (e.g. M424s) fine with runners, but wouldn't go too far on a cageless SPD like a M520.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

smacl wrote: »
    Note you can adjust the tension on the M324 pedals. I'd recommend leaving them loose until you get used to them and the tightening to suit. While some take to clipless very quickly, I found it took me quite a few rides to get really comfortable with them, so perseverance in is the name of the game. That said, I'd feel uncomfortable without them on a long ride at this point.

I have a spare pair of those m324 pedals, if you're looking for a cheaper than new pair.

Advertisement