Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Callinan Resigns As Garda Commissioner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I think he's an arrogant snobbish bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

From Callinans arrogant reirement statement- because"statistics from the CSO have shown that they have resulted in a reduction in crime throughout the country." well they will reduction if you classify crimes into the wrong categorys to suit your own smug failing agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'll miss that smug moustache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

FTA69 wrote: »
    You're siding with a corrupt bully who ironically felt the law didn't apply to him while being paid a hefty sum to enforce it. Why do some people in Ireland have such a fawning attitude to authority?
    Thats the Irish way. Fore-lock tugging toadying to the bitter end. I hate it, its so cringemaking its unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Thats the Irish way. Fore-lock tugging toadying to the bitter end. I hate it, its so cringemaking its unbearable.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Thank fúck you are all but on your own then, most sensible people will be glad to see the back of this bully boy who considers attributes like honesty, truth and integrity to be "disgusting".

I'd read it more like, the Force First, The Government Second and God Third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I'd read it more like, the Force First, The Government Second and God Third.

That's a hell of a wishy washy sentence for someone that believes Callinan did no wrong! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Hope Shatter goes too (but he won't), hope Edna goes too (but he won't). Fair play to Varadkar for calling out all this bullsh1t (paraphrasing) last week, someone in government needed to say what most people thought about it.

That's a hell of a wishy washy sentence for someone that believes Callinan did no wrong! :pac:

I've sided with the man as I believe he knows his job and the force better than most, and he exudes that confidence and sense of commitment. Now, he just might be a "you can't handle the truth" type of guy as well.

He arguably should have been asked to resign or retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've sided with the man as I believe he knows his job and the force better than most, and he exudes that confidence and sense of commitment
    he exudes arrogance, corruption and bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I've sided with the man as I believe he knows his job and the force better than most, and he exudes that confidence and sense of commitment. Now, he just might be a "you can't handle the truth" type of guy as well.

You're confusing arrogance for confidence. Easy mistake to make. ;) It's but a skip and a jump to confusing brass necked ignorance for intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

Two fine candidates available for the vacancy - Matt Baggott and Judith Gillespie.

Gillespie is clearly not interested in money and, as a woman,would be a culture shock to our backward police force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

A man who would rather quit than apologise when PROVEN to be wrong shows very low morals. I think we are better off without the likes of him leading our police force. He sent out a signal to his staff that they were above the laws they swore to uphold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Two fine candidates available for the vacancy - Matt Baggott and Judith Gillespie.

Gillespie is clearly not interested in money and, as a woman,would be a culture shock to our backward police force.

They've already put a woman in the job for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

What I want to know is, will Shatter apologize and reinstate garda McCabe to active duty? Otherwise this is nothing more then a bit of political theatre and throwing a sacrifical lamb tosser to the mob in the hope that the clamor for justice goes no higher up the ladder.
    Shatter has been every bit as dismissive as Callinan and just as unrepentant. Of course his resignation would require either humility or a push, and he has none of the former and the government have no stomach for the latter, so I guess the blame lies with 'a systemic failure', one of our favorite phrases in this country, which generally means that nobody is accountable....again.
    Currently, McCabe is the only person that's being punished, still.

Shatter. Reinstate McCabe or go!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is this a basis to side with him after all that has happened ? Exactly why this country is in this mess. People cow towing to authority figures like sheep. I suppose we were always brought up to respect authority form a young age. The Guards, shop managers, the clergy whoever.. and look where that has got us as a nation do we learn nothing by our mistakes. Yes we were brought up to believe that authority and leadership was grounded in wisdom, ethics and goodness. History now shows us otherwise. It still seems certain numbers of us need to cop on and learn from our own history.

People who whistle blow do so as a last resort. In an organization like AGS for someone to come out publicly and whistle blow takes an extraordinary amount of bravery. They should be commended not condemned as they were by their so called leader.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

people of Ireland should demand more honesty and accountability from those we voted for and the appointments they made

people of Ireland demand more honesty and accountability from those we voted for and the appointments they made

They do or they should? :confused:

They do or they should? :confused:

have you seen much in the line of irish people demanding much lately?

sure the fine gaelers were only sayin at their ard fheis that the lack of protest is a sure sign of majority support for government and it's actions,

this was only 2 fcuking weeks ago and look at what was happening on this island at the time.

More Irish mindless crawling at its very best.
    Hes wearing a big hat with a shiny badge, a smart uniform with lots of medals and big epaulettes, he can walk and talk on his phone at the same time and hes surrounded by acolytes. He sticks out his chest and lifts up his chin.
    Lets worship him and laud him and never question his desicions.
    Disgusting indeed.

• Advertisement

have you seen much in the line of irish people demanding much lately?

sure the fine gaelers were only sayin at their ard fheis that the lack of protest is a sure sign of majority support for government and it's actions,

this was only 2 fcuking weeks ago and look at what was happening on this island at the time.

If you're doing up placards, bang in a comma after "People of Ireland,...."

It'll leave things clearer. Otherwise it comes across as a statement and a funny one at that.

If you're doing up placards, bang in a comma after "People of Ireland,...."

It'll leave things clearer. Otherwise it comes across as a statement and a funny one at that.

the grammer nazis will only send me home if i'm not gramatically perfect with protest signs

Strumms wrote: »
    Is this a basis to side with him after all that has happened ? Exactly why this country is in this mess. People cow towing to authority figures like sheep..

I think the whole thing is a petty internal row, and I think the Commissioner was the better person to decide what to do and what not to do. I believe he was educated and trained for job at hand and had come through the ranks.

He is also answerable to the Minister For Justice, from whom no clear command came but a somewhat schoolboys name calling ensued which showed neither in good light.

The Minister should have taken command and made a decision or else let the person trained for the job, do it.

The Commissioner's position became untenable, as to stay in command would have effectively been a coupe. He resigned, he IMO, did the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I think the whole thing is a petty internal row, and I think the Commissioner was the better person to decide what to do and what not to do. I believe he was educated and trained for job at hand and had come through the ranks.

He is also answerable to the Minister For Justice, from whom no clear command came but a somewhat schoolboys name calling ensued which showed neither in good light.

The Minister should have taken command and made a decision or else let the person trained for the job, do it.

The Commissioner's position became untenable, as to stay in command would have effectively been a coupe. He resigned, he IMO, did the right thing.

You're backtracking at speed now! Coup indeed!

So the Minister of Justice should have told him that quashing penalty points for VIPs was wrong? :):D:rolleyes: I see. Shatter's fault then, Callinan wasn't to know it was wrong. And of course the other 13,000 Gardai could never have know it was wrong...nobody told them...except the disgusting whistleblowers...

Quit your jibber jabber WUM...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

This is the real reason why the Garda Commissioner resigned. He was made aware of this report being leaked or discussed in cabinet and with the comments relating to 'disgusting' behaviour of whistleblowers, he decided to get out now.

Crony-ism is still at government level, and this commission will hopefully expose the 'lads looking out for lads' mentality going on across many institutions. It is a cultural problem in Ireland, not an administrative one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

So the Minister of Justice should have told him that quashing penalty points for VIPs was wrong? :):D:rolleyes: .

I think it was done in the interest of the Force TBH, far too many zealous members at times makes the population angry and less cooperative with the Police.

As I said, someone's brother in law failed to get his points removed so it's all over lads.

Falthyron wrote: »
    This is the real reason why the Garda Commissioner resigned. He was made aware of this report being leaked or discussed in cabinet and with the comments relating to 'disgusting' behaviour of whistleblowers, he decided to get out now.

Crony-ism is still at government level, and this commission will hopefully expose the 'lads looking out for lads' mentality going on across many institutions. It is a cultural problem in Ireland, not an administrative one.

this will never end so long as the irish people go about their days accepting it

I think it was done in the interest of the Force TBH, far too many zealous members at times makes the population angry and less cooperative with the Police.

As I said, someone's brother in law failed to get his points removed so it's all over lads.
    This is the most ridiculous post ive ever read on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

mr shatter should also go as he hasnt a leg to stand on now

Advertisement