Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Callinan Resigns As Garda Commissioner

Options
  • 25-03-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Newstalk just reporting this now.

Shatter next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Victory for Labour after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

KMFCross wrote: »

Shatter next?

Shatter will not resign. Why should he?

He is by far the smartest person in Ireland and sexy as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭older i get better i was

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Shaitter will have to follow as call in an was his lackie/bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

IMO, it's a few disgruntled brother-in-law who could not get their penalty points dropped and shopped the lot of 'em.

The force has two concerns, it must be allowed to work, it has to be answerable to Government at the same time. The commissioner seemingly felt he was in the right.

I'm siding with a man who went to Templemore, did the training, got the exams, made sergeant and climbed to the top over some very troubled years, hmmm, I'm taking his side in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

No doubt the "pain" of having to resign will be eased by a nice big lump sum and pension, not to mention plenty of little earners as a "security consultant".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Shatter next?

Unlikely Shatter will resign, Callinan has been sacrificed to likely prevent the topic arising. The whistleblower issue has had impressive stage management over the last few weeks to mute criticism of the minister. I do wonder if Shatter will actually apologise to the whistleblowers but I won't hold my breath.

Personally however I think Callinan had become a liability and was long overdue to resign. Penalty points of his own wiped, whistleblower controversy, friction with GSOC. It was only a matter of time before he had to go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

D1stant wrote: »
    Shatter will not resign. Why should he?

He is by far the smartest person in Ireland and sexy as hell

Is that you Carol? Good woman!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Really didn't think he would resign but happy he did. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was just so that he didn't have to apologise for the remarks he has made. It is probably the lesser of two evils in his eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Good Riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Just heard the news but he didn't retract that statement??

Scum bag behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Jeez, if Callinan has knowledge of skeletons in cupboards, I imagine he's been paid off, handsomely at that, rather than 'resigned'.

This man possibly has enough dirt to bring down the whole cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Red Nissan wrote: »
    IMO, it's a few disgruntled brother-in-law who could not get their penalty points dropped and shopped the lot of 'em.

The force has two concerns, it must be allowed to work, it has to be answerable to Government at the same time. The commissioner seemingly felt he was in the right.

I'm siding with a man who went to Templemore, did the training, got the exams, made sergeant and climbed to the top over some very troubled years, hmmm, I'm taking his side in this.

Thank fúck you are all but on your own then, most sensible people will be glad to see the back of this bully boy who considers attributes like honesty, truth and integrity to be "disgusting".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Shatter next?

Nope, I'd say the complete opposite. This is the price of keeping Shatter in Government.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

T-K-O wrote: »
    Just heard the news but he didn't retract that statement??

Scum bag behaviour.

Doubt he will retract the "disgusting" comments now. He basically told all 13,000 Guards to turn a blind eye to internal corruption or else. Nice.

He was an appalling leader and the Gardai are tarnished bigtime by his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Now get a commissioner in from an external force in the interim, and set up a independent board in the long run to make senior appointments rather than making them based on who you know or do favours for in FG/FF

If the patton proposals were good enough for the north then they're good enough for here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

/Shakes head.... making you part of the problem.

Callanan by his actions is a prime example of everything wrong with this country.
    He called whistle blowers a disgrace and suggested that if only two out of 13,000 guards had a problem then the problem must be the whistleblowers, because otherwise the problem was the whole force. Turns out it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

conorhal wrote: »
    /Shakes head.... making you part of the problem.

Callanan by his actions is a prime example of everything wrong with this country.
    He called whistle blowers a disgrace and suggested that if only two out of 13,000 guards had a problem then the problem must be the whistleblowers, because otherwise the problem was the whole force. Turns out it was.

Well said, here is the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAyervNJ3fA

Red Nissan, please explain what is right with this clip?

Birroc wrote: »
    Doubt he will retract the "disgusting" comments now. He basically told all 13,000 Guards to turn a blind eye to internal corruption or else. Nice.

He was an appalling leader and the Gardai are tarnished bigtime by his actions.

Agreed, it's not going to happen.

I think most people are aware of the click that exists in the gards. What really surprised me was that this disgraced former commissioner had the balls to act that way in full view of the nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Shatter is too powerful within Fine Gael and hence the Govt, he is propping up more senior people than himself. The worst that will happen to him is a mid-term reshuffle somewhere between the local elections and 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Callinan might have been very good at completing exams and going to Washington for command courses but from the mouths of Guards and I know 7 or 8 personally he was the most ineffectual boss theyve had for a generation and about as popular as a fart.

PS Deputy Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan in pole position there now, could be the first female boss chief, unless they start looking outside the force, PSNI style.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

T-K-O wrote: »
    Agreed, it's not going to happen.

I think most people are aware of the click that exists in the gards. What really surprised me was that this disgraced former commissioner had the balls to act that way in full view of the nation.

Not correcting you but it's clique (I guess I just did). Just for future reference. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Callinan might have been very good at completing exams and going to Washington for command courses but from the mouths of Guards and I know 7 or 8 personally he was the most ineffectual boss theyve had for a generation and about as popular as a fart.

PS Deputy Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan in pole position there now, could be the first female boss chief, unless they start looking outside the force, PSNI style.
    unless she has fg connections she has not a chance.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not correcting you but it's clique (I guess I just did). Just for future reference. :)

I am aware of that, mobile posting doesn't give a fcuk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great news that just brightened up a dull day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

flutered wrote: »
    unless she has fg connections she has not a chance.

Doesn't that sum up the problem with the Gardaí, Army, Judiciary in this country?
    People like Shatter, Lowry, Haughey etc. actually decide on the senior appointments.
    An independent police authority is now required to remove the cosy political/garda connection.

If Callinan had any sense he would release records of all the letters and phone calls from T.D. to Superintendents where they looked for penaly points to be quashed for the constituents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Incredibly Callinan insists he retired from the job. Not resigned.

Defiant to the last.

http://m.rte.ie/news/touch//2014/0325/604369-garda-whistleblowers/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You're siding with a corrupt bully who ironically felt the law didn't apply to him while being paid a hefty sum to enforce it. Why do some people in Ireland have such a fawning attitude to authority?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

And they were singing "Bye, bye...
    Great news indeed.
    Maybe it was the 'tache or maybe just the arrogance.

Advertisement