Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning muscle

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

i_surge wrote: »
    I agree with everything you're saying.

For the sake of correctness though we can't have quacks disputing simple thermodynamics for a few blog hits. If you eat too much food every day you'll get fatter - no matter what that food is. FACT.

But if the law is how we work, do you think if I ate exactly 3,500kcals extra a week that this day next year I'll weigh exactly 52 pounds heavier? Either the law works or it doesn't if it's simple physics?

Eating better food is key and I know you've said that, and I agree that some people will eat excess 'good' food still expecting weight loss which might not follow, and I think that if purely weight loss is the goal, then calorie reduction will work in most cases. But then it will generally lead to a bigger swing in the other direction after this 'loss'. ( I thought The Calorie Myth was a good book explaining how peoples set points for basal metabolic needs gets screwed up by going aggressively low kcal).

Cereal killers movie was a good watch I thought, the main guy eats 4,000kcals a day and does very short intense workouts and doesn't gain weight over a month, whilst improving bio markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Two identical twins:

Twin A eats a typical western diet and is a healthy weight.

Twin B eats the exact same meals but double the portion size.

Who weighs more?

Twin B because the of doubling of the refined carbohydrate intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

I'm more confused than I was in the beginning but I've to be up in 5 hours to cycle to Galway. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I agree with everything you're saying.

For the sake of correctness though we can't have quacks disputing simple thermodynamics for a few blog hits. If you eat too much food every day you'll get fatter - no matter what that food is. FACT.

Not understanding how thermodynamics applies to non-ideal complex biological systems and stating "facts" based on that lack of understanding can be just as damaging as quackery.

Advertisement