Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning muscle

Options
  • 25-03-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Looking for advice. I've recently started in a gym. One of these personal trainer kicking the **** out of you places.

I'm on a high protein low carb diet.

The trainer has said that cycling long distances (Galway from maynooth and back) will eat into muscle and not fat. Is there any truth in that and if so is there anything I can do to prevent it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Excessive long distances may cause some atrophy of fast muscle twitch fibres. But the gym work might mitigate that. Your body shape might not noticeabley change at all outside of some fat loss that may occur from the change in diet.

What are you trying to achieve anyway? how often are you going maynooth to galway and back and is it all in one go? And why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Keep yourself well supplied with food and it won't happen.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

markens2 wrote: »
    Looking for advice. I've recently started in a gym. One of these personal trainer kicking the **** out of you places.

I'm on a high protein low carb diet.

The trainer has said that cycling long distances (Galway from maynooth and back) will eat into muscle and not fat. Is there any truth in that and if so is there anything I can do to prevent it.

You want to cycle long distance and have big muscles? Sounds like you and your personal trainer need to read a few books! (That's not a smart arse reply, what your asking is too much to put in a post)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

I signed up for the cycle before the gym. I aim to do one long cycle per month between now and august. Apart from them I will be doing about 80km a week commuting and 100km on a Saturday.
    I don't have a goal as far as weight loss goes. I'm 83kg and 66ft. Just want to tone up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

You're 66ft tall?
    Jaysis.....

A bit of strength work will help your cycling.

As for the diet, as long as you're eating enough protein AND fat, the low carb but shouldn't be an issue.
    You just wouldn't want to be going hell for leather on the cycling with no carbs on board.

• Advertisement

I signed up for the cycle before the gym. I aim to do one long cycle per month between now and august. Apart from them I will be doing about 80km a week commuting and 100km on a Saturday.
    I don't have a goal as far as weight loss goes. I'm 83kg and 66ft. Just want to tone up a bit.

It all depends what your limiter is and what your goal is. If your goal is cycling and your limiter is your endurance skip the gym and get as much time on the bike as you can manage (properly periodised). If you have the endurance and your limiter is your strength then go to the gym. If as it appears your aim is cycling but want to tone up a bit I would only go to the gym if it is not at the expense of time on the bike. (if by being toned you mean losing body fat that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

markens2

"I'm on a high protein low carb diet."

How low is your carb intake and also how high is your protein intake?

From what I've read you can get into difficulty on protein intake in excess of 35% of calories. That leaves 65% from carbs and fat.

It's up to you how you make up that 65%, either high fat or high carb will work.

FWIW with out setting out to I've lost noticeable body fat without losing weight by eating high fat, with carbs coming from veg and fruit. I guess that means I've more muscle but I haven't taken any objective measurement other than waist measurement and having to tighten belt an inch or so!

High fat works really well for endurance; was on bike for 12hrs Sunday. Other lads do similar on high carb, they just need to refuel more on road.

Whatever you do with nutrition, enjoy your food. Life is too short to make meal time a chore or penance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

did you watch the fat vs sugar Horizon episode? The guy on the low carb high fat diet was considerable worse off than the guy on high carb low fat diet. he lost muscle mass because the body found it easier to convert muscle to sugar than fat, especially while training.

The final conclusion is that low-anything diet is all BS - you need fat, sugar and protein which you get from a normal balanced diet, avoid processed food (esp. trans fats) and don't exceed your calorie intake.

kuro_man wrote: »
    did you watch the fat vs sugar Horizon episode? The guy on the low carb high fat diet was considerable worse off than the guy on high carb low fat diet. he lost muscle mass because the body found it easier to convert muscle to sugar than fat, especially while training.

The final conclusion is that low-anything diet is all BS - you need fat, sugar and protein which you get from a normal balanced diet, avoid processed food (esp. trans fats) and don't exceed your calorie intake.

I wouldn't be using the horizon programme as a guide. It was a no carb and no fat diet that the twins were on.

Have a read here
    http://optimumnutrition4sport.co.uk/2014/02/05/sugar-v-fat-horizon-bbc-documentary/

If you follow your argument that low anything is BS then the entire establishment low fat mantra since the mid 80's is BS?

he lost muscle mass
    The bod pod cannot measure muscle loss. It was an incorrect conclusion.
    because the body found it easier to convert muscle to sugar than fat, especially while training.
    It depends on what you are doing and how adapted you are.

They were both on ludicrous diets. It was an awful show biased towards the status quo and no sane person would recommend what either of them ate.

Also the OP is on a high protein diet not high fat. Not sure what that would entail.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you follow your argument that low anything is BS then the entire establishment low fat mantra since the mid 80's is BS?

Well, yes and no...the % content is taken as given by the balanced, varied diet and limited calorie intake. I don't believe you should subscribe to faddy or extreme diets which focus on a single food group.

Well, yes and no...the % content is taken as given by the balanced, varied diet and limited calorie intake. I don't believe you should subscribe to faddy or extreme diets which focus on a single food group.

Low fat has been standard government advice with 30 years.

Is it not a fad because it's been pushed for so long on sketchy science?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

When I say low carb I should have been clearer. I'm on a low processed **** carb diet. Ie bread pasta that kind of stuff. Eating lots of veg and sweet potatoe. Avoiding ****ty food in general and trying to eat more lean meat and more veg.

I've had good success in the gym so far. Lost best part of 3 stone. I've been cycling as well so not sure how I've been losing it. I've gone fro 28% body fat to 19% body fat. So something is working. I'd just like to be sure one isn't cancelling the other out now.

When I say low carb I should have been clearer. I'm on a low processed **** carb diet. Ie bread pasta that kind of stuff. Eating lots of veg and sweet potatoe. Avoiding ****ty food in general and trying to eat more lean meat and more veg.

I've had good success in the gym so far. Lost best part of 3 stone. I've been cycling as well so not sure how I've been losing it. I've gone fro 28% body fat to 19% body fat. So something is working. I'd just like to be sure one isn't cancelling the other out now.

If it works for you stay at it; you know more about what works for you than anybody else.

On the meat thing, if health is your goal in general, I'd be avoiding factory reared chicken and pig( which is most of it). Lamb and beef in Ireland is generally grass fed for most of year with strict controls on drug use and limited concentrated feed.

As someone who has been in commercial pig and hen units, I generaaly avoid as much as possible.

Best of luck with new regime and enjoy cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Whatever you do with nutrition, enjoy your food. Life is too short to make meal time a chore or penance

+1

All I am saying is that if you eat a varied, balanced diet with calories limited (avoiding highly processed foods), you won't have much else to worry about. You don't need to micro-analyse your dietary intake.

All I am saying is that if you eat a varied, balanced diet with calories limited (avoiding highly processed foods), you won't have much else to worry about. You don't need to micro-analyse your dietary intake.
    I'm the opposite. I (roughly) analyse the macro nutrient content and don't worry about the caloric intake, it sorts itself out naturally.

I used to do as you do, but find this approach works better.

low fat is 'sketchy science' and the rock solid science says what? High Fat? Why has this high low fat issue become like religious beliefs...my own take on the science (or lack of) is everything in moderation (except exercise of course:D)

longshank wrote: »
    low fat is 'sketchy science' and the rock solid science says what? High Fat? Why has this high low fat issue become like religious beliefs...my own take on the science (or lack of) is everything in moderation (except exercise of course:D)

Where have I said that high fat is "rock solid" science?

I run quite well on high carb or high fat. I'm lucky, more people not so

I've done 200km plus cycles on both, and both have their merits. I prefer high fat but if I wanted to do a very quick long cycle I'll get more carbs in.

Take whatever you want in moderation, but some people can't and struggle with weight/health following the established mantra. have a look on nutrition and diet forum with people restricting calories, weighing portions, exercising and still gaining weight.

I don't have the answers, but am prepared to ask questions.

Eat less, exercise more doesn't work for everybody, why is that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Your body will only burn muscle for fuel when muscle is the most convenient thing to burn, i.e. when your blood sugar is low. Keep your blood sugar up and it won't be a problem.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Apart from them I will be doing about 80km a week commuting and 100km on a Saturday.

You shouldn't wither away with that training load. And I'd say it's more than enough to get you through this cycle. It's a 2 day charity thing yeah? You'll be fine.

Maybe do a couple of back to back cycles at the weekend to see what two long days in the saddle feels like. You could also go for a cycle with the other participants in advance to see where you're fitness level is in comparison.

Where have I said that high fat is "rock solid" science?

I run quite well on high carb or high fat. I'm lucky, more people not so

I've done 200km plus cycles on both, and both have their merits. I prefer high fat but if I wanted to do a very quick long cycle I'll get more carbs in.

Take whatever you want in moderation, but some people can't and struggle with weight/health following the established mantra. have a look on nutrition and diet forum with people restricting calories, weighing portions, exercising and still gaining weight.

I don't have the answers, but am prepared to ask questions.

Eat less, exercise more doesn't work for everybody, why is that?

You seemed to have missed my ? After 'rock solid science'
    Anyone who burns more calories than they consume and gains weight is breaking some fundamental rules of physics! And more likely making an error in their calculations somewhere along the line. The big question is the burning calories one -how many and how exactly that happens.

You seemed to have missed my ? After 'rock solid science'
    Anyone who burns more calories than they consume and gains weight is breaking some fundamental rules of physics! And more likely making an error in their calculations somewhere along the line. The big question is the burning calories one -how many and how exactly that happens.

Given how complicated the biochemistry is Thermodynamic Laws are probably not the most helpful place to start

Anyone who burns more calories than they consume and gains weight is breaking some fundamental rules of physics!
    Please do not invoke the laws of thermodynamics. They refer to closed systems. Your body is not a closed system, it has two big holes at either end. It processes and partitions all foods differently and the various macro nutrients have very different metabolic and hormonal effects on the body.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolism/thermodynamics-and-weight-loss/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/calories-thermodynamics-and-weight/

Your body is a sophisticated biological organism not a dumb calorie burning furnace.

Given how complicated the biochemistry is Thermodynamic Laws are probably not the most helpful place to start

Maybe not but ignoring the fundamental laws is a worse place to start!!

Please do not invoke the laws of thermodynamics. They refer to closed systems. Your body is not a closed system, it has two big holes at either end. It processes and partitions all foods differently and the various macro nutrients have very different metabolic and hormonal effects on the body.

Your body is a sophisticated biological organism not a dumb calorie burning furnace.

Why do you say don't invoke the laws of thermodynamics and then link to 2 websites that invoke the laws of thermodynamics?
    I think you have determined that I'm saying something that I'm not.

Maybe not but ignoring the fundamental laws is a worse place to start!!

You might have a look at Petethedrummers links in post above yours.

BTW as a mechanical engineer I use Thermodynamic Laws quite frequently.

The first law of thermodynamics is relevant...it says that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. If you gain weight then it must come from food. If you burn more calories through exercise and don't loose weight, then you are eating more. It is extremely easy to underestimate the calorie content of food and drink, and this is far more likely than some biology reason.

However, weight/BMI is not a good measurement of health unless you are seriously overweight; muscle mass helps remove cholesterol from blood stream, stored as energy in the muscles. We should concentrate on fitness, building muscle mass and loosing fatty tissue.
    I am not qualified to decide how much carbohydrate my body needs to prevent it burning muscle, so I eat a wide variety of foods and consume very little alcohol and I let my body decide how it wants to store my energy needs.

You might have a look at Petethedrummers links in post above yours.

BTW as a mechanical engineer I use Thermodynamic Laws quite frequently.

I did, and i dont get ur point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Just a quick Q for the OP.

When you joined the gym and met the PT, did you outline what your goals were? It sounds as if the trainer's goals for you do not include a long cycle. You need to discuss with them exactly what you want to gain from your programme. There's no point telling a trainer you want to look like Arnie and then going off and doing long distance bike work on your own. Conversely, if you have told your trainer that this cycle is a goal you want to work towards, then their job is to help you towards that goal. If they can't do that, then find a new trainer.

Advertisement